Diagnostic tool for 2010-2012s: IIDTool by GAP vs 4Dcan
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diagnostic tool for 2010-2012s: IIDTool by GAP vs 4Dcan

FRESHMAN ROVER

Diagnostic tool for 2010-2012s: IIDTool by GAP vs 4Dcan

Recently bought my RR and trying to get myself set up for what's coming . I'm considering both of these tools and I wanted to get input from the board. I've done my HW and I can see what each tool does from the respective websites and from reading this forum. My immediate requirements are covered by both tools (key programming, DRL, fog lamp coding, code reads). What' I'm interested in is to learn what limitations each tool has or what complaints there are from forum members about each tool so I can make my final decision.

I believe 4Dcan is made by the person who does AllComms (RSW Solutions), which is a tool highly regarded in the forum. I've also read tons of positives about IIDTool and I do like the mobile interphase. Price aside, the GAP tool seems more user-friendly, but wondering if it has any shortcomings.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    2012 Range Rover Autobiography
    91 BMW 850i 6 speed
    94 BMW 850 CSi 6speed
    Supercharged Tbirds x 3
    Audi S8 '03, '91 V8 Quattro 5speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Diagnostic tool for 2010-2012s: IIDTool by GAP vs 4Dcan

I have both tools, got my IIDTool about a year ago and I use it regularly the phone interface really makes it super easy.

Doing the laptop thing in the car was sometimes a little clumsy.

We were out driving one day and had a brake issue- just grabbed the phone and could diagnose on the spot, could not have done that without a laptop.
    I am still trying to get my head around just how much the IIDTool does but it seems to be reasonable.
    I really like my tool.

I have the RSW offering from a few years ago, basic at best when compared to a full blown MSV.
    I got an IDTool for the wife's '11 SC as the TekPro only goes to 2010.
    I've been extremely impressed with it thus far. Not as in depth as the MSV but a LOT easier to use.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '11 L322 SC
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the input fellas. THe more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the IDTool...for the exact reason you're mentioning, Martin. These things are finicky. You can get a code at any time...anywhere, and the ability to have the tool handy and fiddle with settings right away is worth the pricetag.

I see that you can play around with foglight settings with the IDTool...does anyone know if you can set the fogs to "ON" any time the DRL's are also on?
    91 BMW 850i 6 speed
    94 BMW 850 CSi 6speed
    Supercharged Tbirds x 3

I'm looking too, since I'm coming from a 2003 and now have a 2012.
    From what I'm seeing, there's a big difference between the two.
    GAP IID Tool Pro = $2187
    Less capable GAP IID Tool BT = $529
    RSW Solutions 4Dcan = $159.96

Unless the GAP can do a lot more, and only if I need a lot more, from what limited info & knowledge I have right now, I'm comparing the most capable icarsoft tool (yet to figure out which that is) and the RSW 4dcan.

I do have experience with RSW's All Comms product, and it's been a good value for a lot of years.
    The icarsoft products are up to about $149 on Amazon. Comparable to the RSW in price. But not sure about capability yet.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

NOBODY on this site needs the IID PRO! That is for, as it's title says, PRO. it is for folks running an independent shop. to bring that option to this topic... is off topic 03.

ClifanSC, the IID BT does every thing that pro can, but only for one VIN. Unless you are going to purchase a fleet of Range Rovers for your friends and family you don't need the pro.

Edit Califan, RSW does not cover 2012.. not yet anyway. The folks at Gap are nothing less than phenomenal to work with. Chris and Pat have been helping members here and elsewhere for years. I doubt you will find any better customer service for initial purchase or follow up"stupid" questions.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; February 19th, 2019 at 04:59 PM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    NOBODY on this site needs the IID PRO! That is for, as it's title says, PRO. it is for folks running an independent shop. to bring that option to this topic... is off topic 03.

ClifanSC, the IID BT does every thing that pro can, but only for one VIN. Unless you are going to purchase a fleet of Range Rovers for your friends and family you don't need the pro.

Edit Califan, RSW does not cover 2012.. not yet anyway. The folks at Gap are nothing less than phenomenal to work with. Chris and Pat have been helping members here and elsewhere for years. I doubt you will find any better customer service for initial purchase or follow up"stupid" questions.
    Thanks for that info. It kinda makes things up for me . It does suck that for that price for the GAP tool it limits you to only one VIN. Doesn't even give you a chance to help out another owner by checking their codes. But, c'est la vie.
    91 BMW 850i 6 speed
    94 BMW 850 CSi 6speed
    Supercharged Tbirds x 3

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    Okay, but even the BT is $529, and that's a good chunk.
    I don't have the fleet that Martin has, but I currently do have the '03 and the '12. It would be nice if I could use it on both until I disposition one of them.

My understanding from the RSW website was that the 4Dcan tool supports the 06- 12 FFRR, Am I misinterpreting it?
    Or do you mean it doesn't do much compared to the GAP BT?
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

FRESHMAN ROVER

You can also purchase another VIN unlock on the GAP tool. I’m not sure of the price off the top of my head. I think you can add up to 10 vehicles on the iid bt. In my experience, it’s been worth the money. I programmed two additional fobs for starting the car, added and programmed blind spot monitors, changed the ride height, turned on drls, updated my wheel and tire size in the computer, and cleared the service reset reminder. Just the savings in the fob programming paid for 2/3s of the unit.

2010 Range Rover HSE
    Bournville Brown Metallic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 Range Rover HSE
    Bournville Brown Metallic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now