code scan tool and abs
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: code scan tool and abs

FRESHMAN ROVER

code scan tool and abs

i have an icarsoft i930. When you diagnose abs [my abs is not functioning 3 amigos are on] the message center in the truck beeps and displays abs fault and the tool says communication error. Now i'd be quick to say the abs computer is smoked. But, has anybody else had this happen with their code readers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: code scan tool and abs

Communication error is common with nonspecific scanners. Most scanners out there will not communicate with the Range Rover sub systems like EAS, HVAC, ABS, TC...
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

its loaded with land rover communications software and is supposed to communicate with it

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I would start making sure your OBD port and ECU have clean connections.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

so no idea what made me try this but i set the icarsoft to 99 disco2. now it communicates with the abs. But gives shuttle valve faults and an engine speed signal not present fault.

FRESHMAN ROVER

tricked my icarsoft to talk to the abs on my 99. but results are missmatched

Ok so the shop that sold me the tool said they would take it back if it won't work. However the prob seems to be that I have a 99 bosch motor and its just a tough version of the truck to get to communicate unless you have dealer type software. Anyways I wasn't about to give up. I set the icarsoft to 99 disco2. now it communicates with the abs. But gives shuttle valve faults and an engine speed signal not present fault. I figure the codes are matching up to the wrong definitions.... since I told it it was a disco2. I figured if I pulled the fault list for a disco 2 and took those definitions and matched the disco fault numbers and cross referenced to an HSE fault list but I have not found such info on the internet. Anybody have any insight?

Re: tricked my icarsoft to talk to the abs on my 99. but results are missmatched

Yes, Return it to the shop and get a properly programmed code reader (Personally, I like the Nanocom, but there is a whole discussion section for diagnostic tools here)
    You are going to be fighting a seriously uphill battle once you start trying to "Fool" the code reader into thinking it is communicating properly.
    That said, I will now watch with interest as some very clever poster here produces the proper cross references for this
    A P-38 specific tool will also allow a lot more than code reading....
    Cheers!
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    1999 4.6 HSE, White Gold "Stitch" (Wife's Daily Driver) Sold to a new enthusiast!
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver (Stored in the shed for now)
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" West Coast cruiser and official Boat Car.
    On springs, but not for long!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: tricked my icarsoft to talk to the abs on my 99. but results are missmatched

+1 or a decent indie garage
    Chelsea ( for obvious reasons ) - 2001 4.6 P38a LPG Autobiography in Green with Cream leather.
    Loving the driving experience and learning to love the associated heartaches inherited from previous owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

This is the model tool the large rover parts retailers sell with the same software loaded. The local indie garage is me. That is to say I am the only one I know in the area people ask about land rover issues and I used to meet with a few buddies and rebuild trucks. Code readers pull codes and cross ref to a list of definitions. I need the list of definitions. I had hoped it would be quicker to find from a fellow rover owner mech that may have them online. That seems like a no. So I'll have to get from the tool company I suppose. I have worked in high tech garages and seen this same issue with factory tools on midyear changes like the 99 bosch. I dont want to expend energy I could put into just understanding how this one talks. If you own a 99 bosch RR and you have a computer that works well let me know. In my experience I am going to wind up fixing around this issue and then taking it to the dealership. Then the techs gonna walk in the room and ask me to come out to the truck. Were gonna scratch our heads and take some guesses. I guess this is my welcome back to cars.

Just because they sell it does not mean it is compatible. I;ve tested many tools over the years that say they are compatible with P38s that do not access all systems or do not give full overage if they do access a system. If you are the local indie why are you going with some obscure branded item instead of a system that is known to work?
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Banned

As the shop has said they will take the reader back, take it back, get a refund and buy a Nanocom or something else specifically designed for the P38.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

If you own a 99 bosch RR and you have a computer that works well let me know. In my experience I am going to wind up fixing around this issue and then taking it to the dealership.
    I have used scan master ELM in the past with an ELM 327 ODB Cable and also have the EAS software and cable supplied by a well known poster in a uk LandRover forum.. it works 100% with the EAS system (i have two Thor P38's) and cost all of £16/$20 The scanmaster ELM software will access generic fault codes on most cars but wont go deep on the P38.

I have just purchased a Faultmate MSV2 Extreme which accesses pretty much everything. HOWEVER it is vin locked and an open version (not vin locked) is expensive. The consensus seems to be the Nanocom does most of what the faultmate will do and is not vin locked.

SENIOR ROVER

Somehow, I am on the mailing list for Carsoft MI6 diagnostics. I assume this is the same company. When I contacted them, they were very vague about coverage. I have a p38 Range Rover and their system seems to be basically a generic OBD scanner as far as the p38 is concerned.

I presently have two Faultmates MSV2's - one is the full fat version also an All Comms Mk2, which is only good for the L322, an EASunlock v3, which is still being developed, and also the free EAS software cable. The Faultmate is the only system out there that reads everything on the car.
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.
    ex-1996 Discovery 2.5 300Tdi diesel auto
    ex-1982 Classic 3.86 Perkins diesel manual

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi!
    Just today I got an iCar i930 scanner for Land Rover and Jaguar. It does communicate with the different systems in my 1999 (maybe 1998 build) P38 4.6 with Thor engine.

Not all settings work with the auto mode, but manualy directed it seems to match most systems.

If set to "Discovery 2" instead of 1999 Range Rover, the ABS (Waco System) shows up with all version data! Also it does read exactly the same fault the Test Book of the RR Dealer showed me.

So maybe don´t be to sure about it not working with the P38.

It is almost logical that LR did a 1:1 transplant of a working ABS system from one car to the other, as it saved them a lot of time an money in development over having it done twice professionaly by a hired Bosch technician.

The ABS and Motronic diagnostic works, too.

I may post some pictures later .
    Even as I bought it for a 2006 RR, it seems to be a usefull tool for the older P38.

I´m fully aware that some people will not like this and strongly oppose this product, as the iCar is only 130 Euros including tax, P&P and should serve many LR cars from 1996 till now. Not only a single car for a very high price like other tools that are said to be the only way to go.

Chris

FRESHMAN ROVER

So essentially what you guys are saying is no. You havent had that experience with your diag tool.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now