IIDTool Activation
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IIDTool Activation

FRESHMAN ROVER

IIDTool Activation

Gents,

I bought an IIDTool for my 2008 Full Size but received PN DA6403 which is for the Sport. Now I'm 99% the module is identical considering you can purchase additional VIN licenses. I cannot get the activation screen to power however that gives you the 10 digit code. Anyone have a clue?

Please don't tell me the modules are different. I waited 2 weeks for this bloody thing.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: IIDTool Activation

Ok Gap got back to me. I'm surprised because I thought support was out of the UK and being that it's 9PM I didn't expect a reply. Any who pleasantly surprised.

If anyone ever runs into this, don't panic. Obviously it is easier to just order the correct PN. However if you end up with the wrong one like I did, contact GAP and they can help you out without sending the unit back.

JUNIOR ROVER

I believe support is out of Canada actually.
    John W
    1995 4.6hse
    Enjoy it!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

From what I've heard, the Gap Diagnostic tool (IIDTOOL) was developed and is made in Montreal. The company ships it to the UK and transfers all inquiries there to make people think it's a UK based company when in fact it is not. The premium you pay is for the vehicle it is for (LAND ROVER), the name, and the area you're getting it from (the UK). Imagine how much cheaper it would be if it was just shipped directly from the manufacturer in Montreal Canada.

Very interesting info indeed. Chris, Pat and Eric are indeed registered from Quebec IP addresses with operations in Quebec. Their site they list both Quebec and German contact info as well as directly stating they are a Canadian company. Are you referring to their supplying to Britpart?
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Guys

That would be correct, GAP Diagnostic is based in Montreal Canada and Britpart, based in the UK. Britpart is the exclusive worldwide distributor of our products. We concentrate on products development while they manage the sales which is why all sales inquiries are transferred to Andy at Britpart. Support questions come in directly to us.

Cheers
    Patrick Meilleur,
    Bachelor Of Engineering
    GAP Diagnostic

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    Very interesting info indeed. Chris, Pat and Eric are indeed registered from Quebec IP addresses with operations in Quebec. Their site they list both Quebec and German contact info as well as directly stating they are a Canadian company. Are you referring to their supplying to Britpart?
    Yes,

When I was looking for a good price for the IID Tool one of the resellers in Ontario told me that the Actual units are made in Montreal and that company refuses to deal with resellers. Instead they force them to order from BRITPART in the UK at the resellers discount (which is not much). Then they (the North American resellers) receive the units shipped back from the UK which they ship to the customer. This means that the actual product makes a useless trip across the pond and back.
    It's a money grab and a scheme if you ask me and the only ones to blame are the manufacturer and BRITPART as they control the entire distribution and will not allow direct shipping from Montreal Quebec.

Patrick,

This does not seem very fair to both reseller and customer. Your reasons for allowing this are your reasons but it seems that this serves no purpose and only adds an unnecesary cost to the units. Unless BRITPART owns the rights to the software and development, why do you not allow direct shipping from Montreal?

Hi Guys,
    It is very simple, actually. Yes, as stated on our site we have an office in Germany and in Montreal. Montreal is where our R&D and production take place. GAP Diagnostic is an engineering company, not a retailer.

When we were entering the market, we examined multiple options for distribution including setting up a webshop on our own and bootstrapping it. This, though, would have invariably been more expensive for the customer as we would not only have the engineering side of the operation to finance (including a VERY large R&D bill), but also for setting up the commercial side of the operation. As the LR diagnostic tool market is already somewhat populated (to put it mildly), we knew we had to excel in all areas - and at a lower price to boot. That could only be achieved by hooking up with a large distribution organization. Hence Britpart. This has allowed our prices to be MUCH lower than if we'd done all on our own.

The shipping and associated charges are not really significant. Please believe me, for us to set up a distribution center in North America would add more cost to the units than the way it is now. All that said, we are obviously aware of the situation and things may change as we grow.

No grab and no scheme and no conspiracy.

Regards,
    Steve

Steve,

Thank you for clearing things up. Hopefully prices for your NA resellers and customers will change in the near future. Looking forward to learning more about your product.

Hi Can,
    Tbh, even if we do change the distribution system, I do not think the prices will change significantly - a couple of cases of beer maybe, but nothing to write home about. All margins are very low as is.

And, even at the moment the IIDTool is an absolute bargain. The functionality of the IIDTool is on par (or better) with diagnostic systems costing well into the 4 figures - and the price is in the Hawkeye / Lynx / iCarsoft category (which all do considerably less).

As an aside: we have often wondered if our prices are not too low. People compare us to the above systems based on price, and communicating the differences between an IIDTool and a Hawkeye effectively and quickly is difficult as diagnostic systems are quite complex. For example, the IIDTool BT is actually designed as a single-user system, but due to the fact that our "standard" diagnostic functionality more or less equals the complete functionality of a Hawkeye or Lynx, and due to the fact that our "standard" functionality is VIN-lock free for all vehicles we cover, the IIDTool BT gives you what amounts to a Hawkeye / Lynx Pro at 1/3 the price. Plus the "enhanced" functionality for the one vehicle (addtl. VIN licenses don't cost that much either). One drawback to our system, tho: we do not cover the P38, D2, or TD5 Def.

Add to all of that our support (which no other diagnostic tool manufacturer at present even comes close to) and the IIDTool really is a bargain...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemfr View Post
    Add to all of that our support (which no other diagnostic tool manufacturer at present even comes close to) and the IIDTool really is a bargain...

Absolutely the most accurate post ever made. The GAP team is heads and tails above everyone for stellar customer service and flexibility.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Yes for all the frustration I felt with the pricing I still went with GAP. They have the best reputation as far as I'm concerned and I can't wait to play with all the settings.

Steve and Patrick, I have done my research and your tool is by far the best. Nothing but great reviews so keep up the great work and if you can see it in your hearts to open it up and not restrict it to just one VIN, that would be great.

Cheers and thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Hi Can,
    It really does not have much to do with our hearts: developing a diagnostic tool that actually goes to the depth the IIDTool does costs many, many man hours. Trust me: we are not getting rich. And we are all LR enthusiasts who started in on this out of frustration because nothing else was available at anything close to what would make sense to pay (as I said above, comparable systems are well into the 4 figures). We do need to earn a reasonable amount back on our investment - unfortunately none of us were born rich either and we can not afford to give our time away.

As I mentioned above, with an IIDTool BT you are basically receiving a Hawkeye / Lynx Pro at 1/3 the price. And for a second vehicle, an additional VIN license will set you back around GBP60 for the enhanced diagnostic functionality.

We are really doing our best...

Cheers,
    Steve

SENIOR ROVER

IIDTool Activation

I'm puzzled regarding your pricing guys.
    My local independent got quoted £1550 for the full IID Tool whereas Lynx was quoted at £1220.
    Your also does not cover the P38, Freelander 1, Discovery 1 and 2, and angst of the Defenders.
    This is pricing for both pro tools.
    How do you come to the conclusion that your pricing is a third less?
    Show me surf, and I'll show you a happy man...

Cornishman,

My impression of all this is that GAP, in their endeavors has ultimately left pricing to Britpart. They are the ones regulating the prices and GAP has very little to do with that. They are on the development side of things. I'm not happy with the price either but I'm comparing it to amount paid for what I'm getting (a little black piece of plastic with a bunch of electronic things inside). If we judged it by size and weight for what we are paying then of course it seems like a lot to pay but if you judge it buy the comparables and what it does for you (it doesn't just read and clear codes) then you will see how valuable a tool it really is. My problem initially was that I was comparing this tool to the Rosstech VAG COM tool that I paid 450 for and did a lot of neat things as well BUT, I wasn't comparing apples to apples. VAG COM is for AUDI/VW. The IIDTOOL with BT is for Land Rover and when you compare it to other Land Rover Diagnostic Tools you really start to see where your money is going.

1,550 British pounds for the IIDTOOL looks to be the price for the model that has unlimited VINS and what was explained to me is that this is the PRO version, as in the version a shop mechanic would buy for his garage to diagnose multiple vehicles. If you do some comparing, you'll find that the single VIN IIDTOOL/BT will go for far less. Here is where I bought mine.

http://www.lrparts.net/integrated-in...-products.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now