Range Rovers Forum banner

Rate Washington, DC Area Dealers

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  pl626 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone done business with the LR dealers in the Washington, DC area; specifically the service departments?

Land Rover Annapolis
Land Rover Bethesda

Land Rover Tysons Corner
Land Rover West Columbia
Land Rover Chantilly

I'm particularly interested in the first two. Were you satisified in how they handled mechanical issues and their attitudes towards customers?

#2 ·
Hi Bob.

I would like to suggest one that is not on your list - Land Rover Alexandria.

Both sales and service were pretty decent (2002 Freeloader). The dealership is small, so inventory of both vehicles and parts can be a bit smaller than some of the dealerships you listed. On the downside, it's location on Duke Street and Telegraph leaves a lot to be desired from a traffic standpoint.

My 2006 RRS was purchased from Chantilly. Nothing good to say about the sales experience, but my service department experience has been very good.

#4 ·
rakim said:
Land Rover Annapolis is excellent in both the sales and service departments.
That's what I was hoping. This dealership is the most convenient for me. My first experience with them was positive. The salesman stayed with me well past closing to test drive and explain the car. But, I wanted to check with other owners to make sure this type of service is the rule and not the exception.

#5 ·
I also reccomend LR Alexandria, traffic can be bad around 4-7 pm, but otherwise, they're pretty convenient.

While I haven't done business w/ LR Annapolis, I did participate in a dealership tour up there. Had a great time, drove a RR sport over the obstacle course several times in the pouring rain, saw the service bays, etc. They seemed like good people and I haven't heard anything negative yet (and I'm a frequent LR board followed).

#6 ·
I have delt with Land Rover Alexandria a couple of times when doing dealer swaps and they have been great. Very easy to work with. In my experience when a dealer treats some random other dealer, calling from 500 miles away asking if I can have one of their cars, with respect and courtsey they will do the same for their customers.

#7 ·
i agree with rob, try to avoid rosenthal of tysons. I've had really bad experiences there. the only reason to go there is the loaner cars. i believe chantilly is an excellent dealership and service center but you will end up with an enterprise loaner.

With my first service at tysons i had to come back because they forgot to do something. With each service you're also supposed to get a free wash but when i got mine back it looked pretty much the same as when i left it except with a little bit of tire shine on. I'm not picky about this but when we get our mercedes serviced they come back looking like i washed the car myself so i expected nothing less from LR.

When i was first in the market for the RRS, chantilly offered me 5k off sticker with no questions asked. This was through their online sales but unfortunately i got the vmail a few days after i had already purchased the car.

I haven't had any experiences with landrover of alexandria yet but i've only heard good things. As for the MD dealerships i don't see myself driving out that far unless their service is amazing!

#14 ·
...I've had really bad experiences there. the only reason to go there is the loaner cars. i believe chantilly is an excellent dealership and service center but you will end up with an enterprise loaner.

With my first service at tysons i had to come back because they forgot to do something. With each service you're also supposed to get a free wash but when i got mine back it looked pretty much the same as when i left it except with a little bit of tire shine on. I'm not picky about this but when we get our mercedes serviced they come back looking like i washed the car myself so i expected nothing less from LR...
Old thread, but I think an update would be helpful. I had a similar experience with Rosenthal service. I had brought my '95 RRC SWB to finally get the gas tank recall work done (after 10 years). I first made an appointment, then prior to the appointment, I called to confirm they did have the parts necessary. I was told yes, bring the RRC in as scheduled. They put me in an Evoque (via Enterprise) and I drive off. Less than a mile away, I receive a call telling me they don't have the parts and JLR doesn't know when the parts will be available, they're on backorder. I'm a bit irked, given I had checked with them prior to dropping off my RRC.

A few weeks pass and no word from Rosenthal. I call the service writer and he tells me they have the parts now, so we set an appointment. On the day of the appointment, I arrive around 8AM, they put me in a loaner, (this time I chose an LR2) and they tell me it should be ready by COB, which is what I expected. COB approaches and no word from the dealer, so I call and they tell me they were having problems with seized hardware, so it was taking longer, but it will be ready the next day. Again, this doesn't really surprise me given the fact that it's almost 20 years old.

Day 2 comes and I pick up my RRC and promptly go to the gas station to top off the tank as a test. Once I've topped it, I notice gas pouring out from the side of the truck. I look underneath and I see that they did not bother to replace the visibly cracked vent hoses. WTF? So I promptly return to Rosenthal, they tell me it will take only 30 minutes to fix. So I go to lunch. When I return, I see my truck outside, but I have a strange feeling and as I walk in to the service desk area, I'm greeted with a frown and "I have to put you back in a loaner". He tells me that they don't have the parts on hand, but he can get them in by the next day. Once again, I'm in another gratis Enterprise Land Rover, another Evoque.

Day 3 comes and once again, I call them and they tell me they have the wrong parts, so they need to reorder, but they will get the right parts.

Days 4 & 5 come and go and still no word from Rosenthal, so I call them, and they tell me for certain, it will be ready on Saturday.

Late Saturday afternoon I finally get a call from Rosenthal, telling me the RRC is finally ready. So I've had the Evoque for almost 6 days, and I've grown to like it. It's not bad for an urban vehicle. Gears grinding in my head...

The most disappointing part of this experience is how lacking they were in communication. Now, I understand I was 10 years late in bringing the RRC in for service (see my blog for explanation), and that a 20 year old vehicle will inherently have more issues, but I feel like I had gone to a Chevy or Hyundai dealer. Not what I expect of a dealer for luxury vehicles that can go almost anywhere.

On the positive side, all the loaners were gratis and new Land Rovers. I'm just glad it's all behind me, but I doubt I'll buy a Tata Rover from Rosenthal, let alone have it serviced there, even for warranty work.

#8 ·
Rosenthall Land Rover is the absolute worst car dealership I have EVER delt with - and that is saying a lot because I have owned many cars from toyotas to aston martins and have delt with MANY bad dealerships all along the way. First of all the actual dealership is a piece of ****, there is a little makeshift service reception center that is just a joke. I had a "transmission fault" message coming on my screen and brought it there to be fixed three times - they failed to fix it three times. I brought it to Land Rover Alexandria and they fixed it correctly the first time (faulty sensor needed replaced). The general attitude at Rosenthall was terrible too. When I brought my car there they gave me a dirty 98' 2 door Honda Civic with used styrofoam cups in the cupholders for a loaner - I brought in my $75,000 truck and they gave me that for a loaner - that is just poor customer service. Another time there they wanted to charge me $650 for installing a wood wheel and shift know - I laughed in their face and walked out - that was the last time I was there. NEVER GO THERE

#9 ·
LMAO!! I see that things haven't changed in 16 years!!! I bought my first new car from Rosenthal Nissan (Tysons) back in 1990. Back then, I was young and an uneducated consumer. Needless to say, in hindsight, they soaked me and treated me like crap. I even remember the name of the SOB who screwed me. Trust me, I wrote off that dealership years ago.

Alexandria sounds like a good place to do business. Unfortunately for me, they are too far out of my way in the event I have to drop of the car off for service. I live along the Rt 50 corridor in Prince Georges County. So Annapolis, Bethesda or Columbia would be more convenient. Now, the convenience factor could take a backseat if the convenient dealership is a shyster.

#10 ·
You know, I've never looked at all the rosenthal dealerships as a whole but now that i think about it, they are pretty bad. My cousin put down a deposit on a G35 when it first came out at the Rosenthal infinity and when he came back for the car, they SOLD IT! I wonder why they get soo much business even though their service sucks. Must be the location and selection.

#11 ·
I believe it was the Land Rover Rockville that got bought out by somebody and a huge shakeup occured in the shop. Two of the top seniors including one who was the shop foreman left. They started their own shop as well.

#12 ·
Reviving this post since it is a bit aged. I just purchased a Range Rover Sport and am looking for a good dealership for service (at least until the warranty runs out). I'm just up the road from Chantilly Land Rover - I saw a couple good marks for them. Now that they have been in business quite a few years, can anyone vouch for them? I was very unimpressed with the sales (we bought elsewhere).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.