Sport Vs HSE?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sport Vs HSE?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sport Vs HSE?

Sorry, I have been doing google searches of this but have not been finding quiet what I am looking for. I THINK I prefer the looks of the sport, is the wheelbase shorter? I have owned many Land rovers 4, DI, RR, LR3 DII And I like to do LIGHT offloading. No mods needed, is there any reason the HSE would be better at this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Re: Sport Vs HSE?

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerFitch View Post
    I THINK I prefer the looks of the sport, is the wheelbase shorter?
    Shorter than what? Not sure what you're asking... HSE describes a trim within a model, not a model. In North America for example, the Range Rover Sport is available in HSE, HSE Lux, S/C or Autobiography trims (all with the same wheelbase but different engines and levels of standard equipment), the Range Rover comes in HSE, HSE Lux, S/C or Autobiography, the LR4 in Base, HSE, HSE Lux, etc.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

maybe thats where my search problem lies. I was thinking Regular Range Rover vs RANGE ROVER SPORT

For light and not-so-light off roading either will do great just as they are, no mods necessary since they are equally very capable. No worries there. Other than that though, they are very different vehicles. The Sport is obviously cheaper, smaller, shorter than the full size Range Rover. They drive different. They look different, in and out. They "feel" different behind the wheel. The Sport is built on a different platform shared with the LR3/4. You really need to go see and extensively test drive both cars to make an informed decision. Are you looking at new or used?

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Used. The sport is looking like the better option. As long as they both have traction control and raising and lowering suspension the sport would be the better option for me. You know before I even started looking into these I would have thought the sport cost more.

I still remember driving the two back-to-back (when I arrived at the dealer they had both sitting in front of the building running).

The FFRR looked more impressive I think; regal if you will. Inside I was equally impressed, it was a very "warm" feeling with a beautifully stitched leather dash (this was a 2006 mind you, supercharged though).

Drove the sport first and was blown away at the sports-car-like handling, panic braking tests on the snow.. the thing just did whatever I could throw at it.

My opinions of the FFRR SC started to sway a bit once I started moving. It's as smooth and quiet as a Cadillac - no questions about that, and the sound system is stellar.. but pushing the vehicle near any sort of limits quickly reminded you that it's still a large SUV. I'm not sure what year range you're looking at, but the early jag-engined FFRRs weren't as advanced as the RRS of the same years - different generation safety and dynamic stability systems. Shifting program was awkward when pushed hard (it wanted to be civilized and short-shift always) - using any power from the supercharger was difficult as the transmission never really wanted to let the engine rev. In real world driving the sport's less powerful engine actually felt like it had the same amount of usable power.

In spite of its' heavier curb weight, the smaller RRS feels probably ~30% more nimble, manageable, sporty, and usable. There's a video of Top Gear's test w/ Jeremy Clarkson where he describes the driving position as "wrapping around you like a cocoon" and it's really true.

The FFRR was the progression of a famous old-school luxury SUV. The RRS was the progression of... nothing. It started from scratch with the latest "everything" (okay technically it was joined with the LR3 but that chassis was designed with the requirements of the rrs in mind).

Drive both, think about how you'll use them, think about how you'll "see" them and the image you're going for since they're very different in that respect. Every time I pass a full-size on the road, my first impression is always "wow" - but I still feel like I made the right choice!
    <br>
    '99 Discovery II | 165k mi. | Kinversand | 7 pas, SLS, HK<br>
    '05 Mustang GT Prem. red/red, Shaker 1000| too many mods.. - SOLD<br>
    '06 Range Rover Sport | Atacama Sand | LUX/Cold Weather/Adaptive HL/RSE<br>
    '90 24' Donzi Black Widow | 490hp/620lb-ft tq - restoration