MY2010+ Engine Misfire - TSB
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MY2010+ Engine Misfire - TSB

MY2010+ Engine Misfire - TSB

Posted on TOPIx. Applies to 5-liter petrol engines (2010+ models) only.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: MY2010+ Engine Misfire - TSB

My 2010 has probably had a minor misfire twice in the 6 months I have had it. However I remember reading in the manual somewhere that it is normal. So probably difficult to judge unless you're having some of the other problems like difficult starting etc.

To let anyone know what it feels like when your 5.0L misfires- Start up your car cold. After about 15 seconds idling, start moving. Drive about 3 blocks and come to a stop. Go about another mile and come to a stop under light throttle conditions. Do you feel the whole car shaking erraticly? I'm not talking about an engine vibration. It feels like someone's kicking your tires a few times per second with random patterns. You'll also notice your gas mileage dropping quite a bit.

The interesting thing is my wifes HSE does not exhibit this at all. Her mileage is still great. She's also at 20,400 miles. I'm at 20,000 with an SC and I have it loud and clear. No engine lights though.

My dad's 2010 SC did the same thing after only 12,000 miles. His was missing a cylinder compeletly and was throwing a CEL. They finally replaced the injector, fixed it, but crashed his car.

I have not noticed it on his 2011 Sport Autobiography, but that only has like 5,000 miles on it.

I hope they have redesigned the injector. This is kind of a pain in the butt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Both BG Fuel Injection System Cleaner and BG 44K
    ® Power Enhancer® are locally sourced
    and must be claimed as 'sublet', using code 'ZZZ001'.

The above is from the LTB - anyone run it regularly as preventative maintenance? Where can you get it?

2010 LR RRS HSE - Santorini Black/Ivory

I have never run it for being preventive, but my dealer put in the fuel additive. It didn't help my problem at all. Recently, off of a 55 minute, 70MPH highway jaunt, I came of the ramp and she was studdering badly. I can't believe the thing didn't throw a code. After a restart, the major studder went away, but she still studders mildly, especially when the motor's colder. My wife's HSE has no sign of this. It's odd because this is the second, 5.0L SC in our family that's done this. I wish my dealer would've done the full flush. That will be next time. If that doesn't help, time for some injectors.

Again, any of you pros know if the injector has been redesigned since the release of the 5.0L?

Any of you normally aspirated owners have this problem yet? (5.0L.)

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by The Weatherman View Post
    To let anyone know what it feels like when your 5.0L misfires- Start up your car cold. After about 15 seconds idling, start moving. Drive about 3 blocks and come to a stop. Go about another mile and come to a stop under light throttle conditions. Do you feel the whole car shaking erraticly? I'm not talking about an engine vibration. It feels like someone's kicking your tires a few times per second with random patterns. You'll also notice your gas mileage dropping quite a bit.

The interesting thing is my wifes HSE does not exhibit this at all. Her mileage is still great. She's also at 20,400 miles. I'm at 20,000 with an SC and I have it loud and clear. No engine lights though.

My dad's 2010 SC did the same thing after only 12,000 miles. His was missing a cylinder compeletly and was throwing a CEL. They finally replaced the injector, fixed it, but crashed his car.

I have not noticed it on his 2011 Sport Autobiography, but that only has like 5,000 miles on it.

I hope they have redesigned the injector. This is kind of a pain in the butt.
    i'm noticing the shake on cold starts as well at a stop. it goes away once the car is warmed up. mine's a '13 supercharged with about 900 miles on it. no other issues thus far. starts fine every time.

maybe it's normal behavior in cold starts for an SC 510hp unit?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just had a 2011 RRS almost completely fail yesterday on the highway..

has approx 55k on odometer and is under extended warranty and regularly serviced by dealer - Interesting the TSB does a Fuel System Cleaning

passing a truck on 101/166 Santa Maria/Nipomo > Kern County
    sputtered then threw the code - Vehicle always runs 91 octane (99.9% of the time) unless in an area that doesn't have it available - then runs what is available typically 89 available and has never left California.

Engine codes via IID GAP tool:

PCM-Engine Petrol
    • P0302-00 (AF) Cylinder 2 misfire detected
    • P0304-00 (AF) Cylinder 4 misfire detected
    • P0306-00 (AF) Cylinder 6 misfire detected
    • P0308-00 (AF) Cylinder 8 misfire detected
    • P0300-00 (AF) Random misfire detected
    • P0316-00 (AF) Misfire detected on start-up (first 1000 revolutions)

on dash shows restricted Mode
    AMBER Warning Light + Check Engine + RED Warning Light

Filled up at Valero on Grand and 101 (grover beach area)
    around Nipomo on 101 S / 166 E passing a truck the engine threw the code (I wasn't there)

Truck usually burns ~1/2 tank and this trip used almost all fuel for the same distance.

Idle is rough and sputters - lights dim with with engine sputter / misfires

strong smell of unburned fuel when idle
    Difficult to start after shutting down - due to extremely rich mixture.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
    LTB00409NAS1
    12 OCT 2011
    SECTION: 303
    Engine Misfire / Injector Clogging / Fuel Injection System Cleaning

hoping that is the culprit and will report back if / when the vehicle is picked up for service.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Anyone figure this issue out? Just bought a 2010 s/c and have exact same problem... Threw codes so dealer did decarb service but it didn't help at all... $300 we'll spend lol. Let me know if anyone figures this out! Are some s/c engines just crappy running?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Non - SC
    The Truck I posted about is having all 8 Injectors replaced under warranty..

Will report back if that resolved the issue or not when I hear moar!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Grantoser View Post
    Anyone figure this issue out? Just bought a 2010 s/c and have exact same problem... Threw codes so dealer did decarb service but it didn't help at all... $300 we'll spend lol. Let me know if anyone figures this out! Are some s/c engines just crappy running?
    TSB implies to the supplies being free - and the service should be free as well but that isn't clear in the TSB - but it is showing there is some issue with the engine/injectors getting clogged a little too easily...

Have felt minor shudders from my 2011 SC at idle, especially when cold. Don't think I'll bother taking it in unless it gets worse. I had them perform the induction service at 52,500 miles and that seemed to help, if only slightly. Nice to know LR is aware of the issue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs4x4 View Post
    Just had a 2011 RRS almost completely fail yesterday on the highway..

has approx 55k on odometer and is under extended warranty and regularly serviced by dealer - Interesting the TSB does a Fuel System Cleaning

passing a truck on 101/166 Santa Maria/Nipomo > Kern County
    sputtered then threw the code - Vehicle always runs 91 octane (99.9% of the time) unless in an area that doesn't have it available - then runs what is available typically 89 available and has never left California.

Engine codes via IID GAP tool:

PCM-Engine Petrol
    • P0302-00 (AF) Cylinder 2 misfire detected
    • P0304-00 (AF) Cylinder 4 misfire detected
    • P0306-00 (AF) Cylinder 6 misfire detected
    • P0308-00 (AF) Cylinder 8 misfire detected
    • P0300-00 (AF) Random misfire detected
    • P0316-00 (AF) Misfire detected on start-up (first 1000 revolutions)

on dash shows restricted Mode
    AMBER Warning Light + Check Engine + RED Warning Light

Filled up at Valero on Grand and 101 (grover beach area)
    around Nipomo on 101 S / 166 E passing a truck the engine threw the code (I wasn't there)

Truck usually burns ~1/2 tank and this trip used almost all fuel for the same distance.

Idle is rough and sputters - lights dim with with engine sputter / misfires

strong smell of unburned fuel when idle
    Difficult to start after shutting down - due to extremely rich mixture.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
    LTB00409NAS1
    12 OCT 2011
    SECTION: 303
    Engine Misfire / Injector Clogging / Fuel Injection System Cleaning

hoping that is the culprit and will report back if / when the vehicle is picked up for service.

this sounds more like a ctalytic converter clogged and missfireing due to lack of exaust

FRESHMAN ROVER

TSB implies to the supplies being free - and the service should be free as well but that isn't clear in the TSB - but it is showing there is some issue with the engine/injectors getting clogged a little too easily...
    What is tsb? They had me pay for the service... Should it have been covered by my certified warranty? If so I'll contact my advisor and whine about it... lol.

Please let me know if the new injectors fix the issue! Would really like to get this fixed...

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Yes injector replacement resolved
    - warranty covered replacement
    - warranty didn't cover
    --- injector cleaning attempt
    --- fuel tank drop (have not gotten explanation for this - not my car - got rid of my 2011 lr4)

---- injectors were fouled and dirty.. Very dirty - dealer wanted to know what fuel and where regularly filled.

-------
    Always 91.... Filled Always littereally at a fuel producer full track record of fuel quality to every tank of fuel used 99%..

Interesting...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes injector replacement resolved
    - warranty covered replacement
    - warranty didn't cover
    --- injector cleaning attempt
    --- fuel tank drop (have not gotten explanation for this - not my car - got rid of my 2011 lr4)

---- injectors were fouled and dirty.. Very dirty - dealer wanted to know what fuel and where regularly filled.

-------
    Always 91.... Filled Always littereally at a fuel producer full track record of fuel quality to every tank of fuel used 99%..

Interesting...
    Cogs,
    So you feel no more shuttering at all? Don't know how I'm going to go about asking my dealer to replace all the injectors under warranty but I'll give it a try!

Also, did they replace every injector or just the ones showing faults?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.