Price of dealer oil change
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Price of dealer oil change

FRESHMAN ROVER

Price of dealer oil change

hi all,

My "free" maintenance plan just ended for 2008 RRS S/C. As per manual, dealership has been using castrol non-synthetic oil since day one and will charge me over $100 for the next oil change which seems awfully steep. What are you guys paying for oil changes at your dealership?

Also, I know this is discussed many many times but I presume many of us have switched to synthetic oil (standard on 2010+ models)? I am not sure why dealer isn't using synthetic on prior year models...

Thanks
    2008 RRS S/C - Java Black/Ivory+Dark Zebrano Wood /20" Stormer Whls V1 Hardwired
    2008 997 Turbo - GT Silver/Dark Grey Natural Sports Chrono etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Price of dealer oil change

$96.XX + tax so yeah $100 is in the range.

The 2010s have new engines that call for motor oil changes every 15k miles or 12 months (twice the interval of pre-2010s), so regardless of how you feel about such long oil change intervals - some would say that 15,000 miles is way too long - that is the main reason why synthetic oil is recommended on 2010s and later, vs. regular oil on earlier model years. I guess it's your call either way on that issue, ask 10 people on any forum and you will get 10 different answers.

Unless I didn't have a convenient choice (and I do have plenty locally), I would never waste money at a dealer for a pedestrian oil change, as any reputable mechanic just a hair more knowledgeable than your garden variety JIffy Lube (A LR independent shop would be better as they would likely use OEM parts) should be able to do that, surely for 1/2 of what a dealer may charge, and faster. However, I noticed that dealers are often running coupons and service specials around here, everyone is hurting for business these days, so you may want to make a couple of phone calls first.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I pay about $30 at my local repair guy that I trust. I had a hard time reconciling the fact that I was shelling out almost a $100 at my dealership when I didn't trust them whatsoever.

Premium Member

An independent should charge about 80 bucks, maybe a bit more.

8 quarts of Oil at 5-6 bucks a quart, plus a filter, plus labor...it's not that farfetched to have to pay upwards of $75, depending on the hourly labor rate from the shop.

Alternatively, you can do it yourself also very easily, and just dispose of the oil at the parts store where they recycle oil.
    PJPR - 06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    8 quarts of Oil at 5-6 bucks a quart,
    Why don't you blokes just say 2 gallons instead of 8 quarts?
    Ron Beckett
    1995 Range Rover HSE 4.6 V8 auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

RIP Bucko (1979-2008 - Riding on forever)
    http://p38arover.com/lee_pix/bike_caricature-avatar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by p38arover
    B'Cuz its actually 8.1 quarts

To open up a can of worms - when I did my OC at the end of March with just under 10,100 miles - did the usual oil analysis. Running full synthetic oil (0w30), the viscosity was still thick, closer to 5w40 with lot of additive still left with very low wear metals. This lets me know that the engine is doing well mechanically. This oil could have done more mileage - but I feel 10K was a safer route. As always - my statement is all synthetics are not created equal ...run a good oil and your RRS and you can't go wrong.
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

JUNIOR ROVER

They don't sell it by the gallon in the upper hemispheres.
    Cheers

Dave

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Goinkin
    They don't sell it by the gallon in the upper hemispheres.
    So a container of oil is marked 4 quarts?

Time you blokes went metric!
    Ron Beckett
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300

Premium Member

So a container of oil is marked 4 quarts? Time you blokes went metric!
    Unless you are buying for a mechanic's shop, most of us DIY'ers by oil by the quart at the local auto supply store, so it's not often we'll see a gallon bucket around here. At any rate, liters or quarts are just as easy to manage, kmh or mph, km/l or mpg, F or C...no problem, good to go on either one here.

At any rate...the purpose of the message was to roughly dimension the cost of an oil change, and most people wouldn't be familiar with the cost per gallon.

To the poster who is paying $30 bucks for an oil change on an RRS...that sounds incredibly low if that really covers oil, filter and labor.
    PJPR - 06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great info - thanks so much everyone!
    2008 RRS S/C - Java Black/Ivory+Dark Zebrano Wood /20" Stormer Whls V1 Hardwired

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR

So a container of oil is marked 4 quarts? Time you blokes went metric!
    Unless you are buying for a mechanic's shop, most of us DIY'ers by oil by the quart at the local auto supply store, so it's not often we'll see a gallon bucket around here. .
    Interesting. While we can buy smaller quantities, i.e., 1 litre containers, every supermarket or auto parts store would sell it in at least 4 litre screw-cap containers (and not in buckets!)

Ron Beckett
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR gooseyloosey's Avatar

Those 1 gal are pretty common here as well. $100 at the dealer is not bad as dealers go--mine is more like $125 with taxes and all. But you do get a complimentary wash if you wish--or as I like to call it, a paint scratch and swirl treatment.

Just watch those $59.99 dealer specials!
    "Hello, Mr. Kim, Bill at LR Service here, um...we noticed while your car was on the lift that ____________."

And unless the local mechanic is banging your sister, for it to cost much less $75 you are likely getting a "less than great" oil filter and oil.

OEM filter =$15
    drain plug= $4
    8 qts oil > $40
    labor @1/2 hr = ? ---there are a bunch of bolts that need to be removed on the shield so there's a bit more labor involved than normal.
    '08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

JUNIOR ROVER

I have to say, I've been going to Valvoline express oil change, $54.95 and it's done with 5/30 full synthetic on my 08 RRSSC. I'm only going to the dealer for major repairs under my extended maintenance contract. Regular maintenance is being done by my independent guy or Valvoline. 60K at the dealer $1199.00, independent guy $329.99.

I was going to pull the trigger and do an upgrade to a 2012, but I'm thinking with all the issues, and how LRUSA has pulled maintenance, many new electrical issues with the 2011 & 2012s, I'm thinking it's time to go back to BMW, for a everyday driver and get a X6M , and keep my 08 RRSC for the lovely New England weather, off-roading on the cape , and such until LR gets the " bugs" worked out again, and the new model & electronics become stable again.
    08 RRSSC Alaska White w/Ebony
    Manchester, NH USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey
    Those 1 gal are pretty common here as well. $100 at the dealer is not bad as dealers go--mine is more like $125 with taxes and all. But you do get a complimentary wash if you wish--or as I like to call it, a paint scratch and swirl treatment.

Just watch those $59.99 dealer specials!
    "Hello, Mr. Kim, Bill at LR Service here, um...we noticed while your car was on the lift that ____________."

And unless the local mechanic is banging your sister, for it to cost much less $75 you are likely getting a "less than great" oil filter and oil.

OEM filter =$15
    drain plug= $4
    8 qts oil > $40
    labor @1/2 hr = ? ---there are a bunch of bolts that need to be removed on the shield so there's a bit more labor involved than normal.
    Lol! Thats exactly what lr service person tells me...you need this and that snd all i wanted was a quick oil change.