Radio/navigation not working
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Radio/navigation not working

FRESHMAN ROVER

Radio/navigation not working

I have a 08 sport s/c. My navigation screen is frozen with land rover logo and radio doesn't produce any sound. The radio works but the volume knob doesn't. When I turn the knob, there's no volume numbers being displayed.
    Does anyone have any idea what it could be??
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR gooseyloosey's Avatar

Re: Radio/navigation not working

You could try powering down the HAL 9000.

Remove key, disconnect battery power cable, wait 5 mins, and then reconnect. Just fyi you will erase your station memories, etc.
    '08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I've tried that but only disconnected it for a minute with the key in. I will deffinatly try this again for few minutes longer and without the key. I really hope this solves the problem.
    Thank you for the help

Yeah, definitely no key in the ignition and wait at least 2 minutes before disconnecting the battery cable - the electronic modules need to wind down properly or you may end up doing more damage than good.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR gooseyloosey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Yeah, definitely no key in the ignition and wait at least 2 minutes before disconnecting the battery cable - the electronic modules need to wind down properly or you may end up doing more damage than good.
    Good point Umberto, but this is never a problem for me. With all the plastic covers in the engine bay, I have to find the battery (3 minutes), remove said cover, and make 3 trips to the tool chest for the right socket...that's 10 mins minimum
    '08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Good point Umberto, but this is never a problem for me. With all the plastic covers in the engine bay, I have to find the battery (3 minutes), remove said cover, and make 3 trips to the tool chest for the right socket...that's 10 mins minimum

Awesome, I thought I was the only one.

Rafa
    2006 RRS - Sold
    2010 RR SC - current.
    2011 BMW X5 M sport - current.

That reminds me how much I dislike that stupid battery cover, it comes off sooo easy but it takes an engineering degree to figure out how to put it back.

PS: If the battery disconnect doesn't do the trick (or if it does the trick, but the problem eventually reoccurs), there is an app for that...
    Attached Files Attached Files

FRESHMAN ROVER

Came home all excited, hoping this would work. Took the key out, dissconected the battery for 5 min, nothing changed. Disconnected power cable for the second time for 10 min, still no luck.
    Should I take it to the dealer?
    Thank you guys for all the help.

Yeah, we are out of tricks. You could still try pulling the relevant fuses (#53 and 58 in the passenger compartment, behind the glove box), but I doubt it'd make any difference. Your MOST is stuck, the above software patch from the dealer should fix it.

It might even be a burnt out fuse.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I tried fuses last night, everything is fine in that area.
    Anyway, thank you guys for all the help and quick responses. I guess I will have to let my dealer sort this one out.
    Thanks for all the help

FRESHMAN ROVER

is your radio stuck in phone mode, mine just started this .....if i turn the key on the acc position it plays fine once i start the car up it goes into phone mode.....someone must have an answer for this, the uk forums said its the amp going bad? and it cost over 480.00 lbs..humm
    Last edited by RRToadHall; September 21st, 2012 at 07:52 AM.

A bad amp causing your PTI to take over the audio system sounds a bit weird - although with these modules all interconnected via fiber optics anything is possible, I guess. I'd check the more obvious stuff first, such as damaged wiring under the carpet of the front passenger seat, which could have been mis-routed at the factory and chafed or worn through its insulation over time. This could cause all sorts of strange infotainment behavior (we had a few instances reported here in the past.)

The problem was common enough that there was even a Special Service Message issued about these "Infotainment system's unusual customer complaints", I'll see if I can look it up later tonight if LR hasn't pulled it from TOPIx as they sometimes do - there were helpful photos enclosed to the SSM to give you / technicians an idea of what type of damage to look for, and where to look for it.

Models
    LA - Discovery 3
    LS - Range Rover Sport
    Title Infotainment system inoperative, unusual customer complaints
    Last Modified 15-DEC-2008 09:42
    Category Electrical
    Symptom 207000 Entertainment Systems
    Content

Issue
    Customer complains of a fault with the infotainment system.

Cause
    There is a known issue where during the manufacturing process the infotainment harness which is separate to the main body harness has been incorrectly routed and can drift into the area of the right hand front seat fixing points, see attached photos.
    Secondary causes to check are that the infotainment connectors under the centre console have not been latched correctly or if the issue is specific to the rear screen entertainment circuit check for correct routing, chaffing of the harness in the seat.
    This can affect any of the electrical infotainment circuits i.e. navigation, phone, amplifier, radio.
    The type of fault that can occur can be variable and can happen at any mileage.

Examples of faults already reported are:

Previous destination on navigation inoperative
    Time of arrival on navigation inoperative
    Microphone inoperative or echo during use
    Phone not working but o.k. when used via Bluetooth
    Navigation screen displays "navigation not fitted"
    One or both rear headrest screens inoperative.

Please note these are only a small number of examples and are not a concise list.

Action
    If a fault is reported with the infotainment system it is advised that the infotainment harness in the seat fixing area is checked first for signs of pinching/damage and then the connectors under centre console are checked for correct latching or seat harness routing is checked if the fault is specific to rear seat entertainment.
    If it is possible to carry out a local repair i.e. a small number of wires are damaged then this should be done using the harness repair kit.
    If the damage is to co-axial or MOST leads, repairs should not be carried out and that specific harness will need to be replaced.

Note:
    Overlays are available but they are not currently listed correctly in Microcat, this is being rectified.
    Attached is the list of overlays that can be ordered. Please note that there are no differences between LHD and RHD as the longest lead is the only one available. Any surplus lead should be stored in a suitable place i.e. under the carpet.

Improvements to the routing and clipping of the infotainment harness have been introduced, however the issue will not be resolved completely until 09.5my, January 2009.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.