Ebrake and Inspection question
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ebrake and Inspection question

Ebrake and Inspection question

I took my RRS to an independent shop for an inspection and they failed the inspection because the ebrake disengaged when they put their foot on the gas pedal. Is this normal behavior? The dealership said it was and passed the inspection.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Ebrake and Inspection question

What does your owners manual say? Some Range Rovers had this and some didn't. As we have no clue what year your rig is there's no way we can answer correctly.
    Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
    Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn’t have it.

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    What does your owners manual say? Some Range Rovers had this and some didn't. As we have no clue what year your rig is there's no way we can answer correctly.
    If you click on "garage" under my profile you can see my rig info. Sure I'll look in the manual too. I was hoping someone could confirm if their vehicle also auto disengages the ebrake when pressing the gas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Please add your rig info to your SIGNATURE as outlined in the guidelines. That way it shows in every post and folks can provide accurate answers without needing to ask. I can guarantee very few members go to your "garage" or profile when answering questions.

To answer your immediate question some model years do disengage the EPB when accelerating. It is no different than the many sedans since the late 50's that release the parking brake when taken out of park or neutral. The fastest way to check will to reference your owner's manual or TOPIx on the LRNA site.

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    Please add your rig info to your SIGNATURE as outlined in the guidelines. That way it shows in every post and folks can provide accurate answers without needing to ask. I can guarantee very few members go to your "garage" or profile when answering questions.

To answer your immediate question some model years do disengage the EPB when accelerating. It is no different than the many sedans since the late 50's that release the parking brake when taken out of park or neutral. The fastest way to check will to reference your owner's manual or TOPIx on the LRNA site.
    Ok thanks.
    2011 RRS HSE V8 Petrol

FORUM MODERATOR

The E-brake IS designed to release automatically once you start accelerating, it's been this way since 2006...it's a designed release, so definitely NOT a defect.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Thanks for the clearification PJ. I was thinking it was called "hill hold" or some such thing for the newer models. I know a few guys in the club swear by it for the steep hills or when towing. However I thought there was a difference when engaging in gear vs engaging once in park. Certainly better than two footed driving an auto.

You can tell I steer clear of Sports except when they come into the shop for service because they make me claustrophobic and really don;t interest me like the full sized ones I have always owned.

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01 View Post
    The E-brake IS designed to release automatically once you start accelerating, it's been this way since 2006...it's a designed release, so definitely NOT a defect.
    Yes spot on - this basic function is different to the later hill hold function - something different again.

But if you want the electronic brake to not squeal in later life always manually release the park brake as the auto function requires you do drive through the locked brake so there is always going to be a little wear. No wear with manual release.
    Range Rover Sport
    2.7 TDV6

It also gives the EPB a bit of exercise so it doesn't lock up and require replacement of the full servo etc. from lack of use.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.