Range Rovers Forum banner

Front Windows Will Not Roll Down

130K views 89 replies 41 participants last post by  crystyle39 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I got into my car today, and the front windows will not roll down, both driver side and passenger side. Both of the rear work, even from the driver's control. I checked the fuses and they seem ok. Is there a relay for the front windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an '06 HSE.

Thanks

#2 ·
Had this same issue: Here's the solution....not the fuses or the window switch itself.

Unlikely source - water in the passenger footwell caused by a clogged sunroof drain tube... the water eats away the wiring underneath the front passenger door sill. You'll see the large wiring loom there, approx 2 inches in diameter and there are 2 very noticeable connectors under there which have 3 wires that come together. The water eats the wires away underneath the connector, leaving just the plastic housing of the thin gauge wire. Once the wires are stripped again and rejoined, your front windows should work again.

Reactions: Jayces
#4 ·
Thank you both for the help. I got back in town this morning and had time to take a look at the wire loom under the passenger side door sill. I have a couple quick questions:

1) Am I looking toward the front of rear of the passenger side door sill for these connections? There are various plug type connections attached to the front innerside of the vehicle under the fuse box?

2) The only three wires that are spliced with tape on them are all red. They are all spliced together? Is this the connection that you are taking about? Do you recall what color the wires are? This connection is toward the front of the vehicle on the passenger side.

Thanks,

DB

#5 ·
The wires that you should see are wrapped in either blue, black or red tape, probably depends on the day they worked.

At any rate, they should be right around the middle of the door sill, not underneath the fuse box.

Unwrap the tape on those 2 connectors and see if you see any wires from the 3 still intertwined, if not, strip the wires and re-attach them together,

Do you recall getting any water in the wheel well at any point?

Cheers.

#6 ·
I will check this out again in the morning. The two connections that I found had colored tape, but were connecting only red wires. I opened up one and there was definately some moisture in it, but no loose connections. I still need to check the other one. The passenger side filled up with water after some serious rain. This sounds like the same problem that you had. I will keep you updated.

Thanks

#7 ·
Here are the connections that I have found. I did not want to start cutting until I posted a picture. Do any of these look familiar?

1) 3 black wires
2) 3 purple wires- white stripe
3) 6 thin read wires- 3 from each side
4) 5 red wires- 2 connecting to 3[attachment=0:nbncnm8u]wiring.jpg[/attachment:nbncnm8u]

Attachments

#51 ·
Here are the connections that I have found. I did not want to start cutting until I posted a picture. Do any of these look familiar?

1) 3 black wires
2) 3 purple wires- white stripe
3) 6 thin read wires- 3 from each side
4) 5 red wires- 2 connecting to 3[attachment=0:nbncnm8u]wiring.jpg[/attachment:nbncnm8u

I have an 08 sport hse and I found the purple wires but for the life of me I can't find the black ones

#8 ·
Yes...those 2 with the black connectors that are holding 3 wires were the culprit on mine as the water had got inside there. Take those 2 black covers off, strip the 3 wires back another 1/2 inch, re-twine them together and test the window.

Hopefully that solves the issue...it may be one of the blue connectors.

#11 ·
couple of questions guys ( this just happened to me after I returned from a trip )

1. are you just bending u pthe door sill? or are you taking off the side pillar plastic and the door sill?
2. how do you get off the black housing underneath the door sill?
3. how do I unclog the drain tube?

thanks guys, I can see water in there underneath the black housing!

#12 ·
PJPR01 said:
Yes...those 2 with the black connectors that are holding 3 wires were the culprit on mine as the water had got inside there. Take those 2 black covers off, strip the 3 wires back another 1/2 inch, re-twine them together and test the window.

Hopefully that solves the issue...it may be one of the blue connectors.

What two black connectors?

#13 ·
PJPR01 said:
Had this same issue: Here's the solution....not the fuses or the window switch itself.

Unlikely source - water in the passenger footwell caused by a clogged sunroof drain tube... the water eats away the wiring underneath the front passenger door sill. You'll see the large wiring loom there, approx 2 inches in diameter and there are 2 very noticeable connectors under there which have 3 wires that come together. The water eats the wires away underneath the connector, leaving just the plastic housing of the thin gauge wire. Once the wires are stripped again and rejoined, your front windows should work again.

I need help finding the "2 very noticeable connectors". Fixed my drain tubes and this is the last step to get my windows working again... Any help is welcomed...

#14 ·
Here are some pictures I took. Now I just need to figure out where the problem is? I need some help here guys...

Attachments

#15 ·
FIXED! Picture of where the problem was attached...

Attachments

#16 ·
Hey guys I have that same problem with 06 RR Sport. My front windows wont go do down for weeks at a time including my sunroof. Some weeks it works, some it dosent. My sunroof has not gone down for months now though. Is the sunroof wiring in the same section that the front windows? My rear windows go down perfect. Can you please help?

#18 ·
I fixed my issue with both front windows not rolling down on my 06 Rover Sport HSE. I had already changed the master switch and no luck.. took apart both front door panels and seems like there was no ground to the window motor. I needly re-wired a ground cable to each motor on each door and all is working perfectly fine.. no problems at all.. seems like some how the ground that is in wire hardness had gone bad. Hope this helps some people.. You will need to tester to determine witch is the ground.

#21 ·
Thanks for the info. Fixed my front windows issue as well. I found the three damaged wires closer to the rear of the front door opening. The three wires were gray and black wrapped with blue tape. Best to take the plastic panel off the base of the front seat for easier replacement of wire harness cover. You can get the get the wire harness cover off without removing this panel but getting it back in with the seat panel on is a different story. Also remove the plastic covers in the passenger foot well by the fuse box and the one on the pillar separating the front and rear door. Thanks again. Great post

#23 ·
Okay - this thread saved me a 5 hour drive up I70 in the worst snowstorm. The wires I spliced were black/grey, and had that same oxidized funk as one of the other pics. As for getting that cover off, it has 2 trim clips that just pop up, then you slide the whole thing towards you from under the carpet, then flex it back towards the rear (didn't take it completely out). It was a little daunting to see about 200 wires in that harness, but once I looked towards the bottom - there it was (makes sense, sitting in water).

Thanks all!

#25 ·
My 2006 RRS HSE has had the same issue, I thought it might be corroded wires, so, I dove in under the passenger door sill, and was able to pry out the plastic plate that covers the loom.

I had to cut some of the black tape wrapping the loom, but I only found one taped connector. 3 purple wires. The tape connection was solid, so I wiggled it around and voila the passenger window works beautifully.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the connected wires that set the driver window. They should be in this same loom, yes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.