Range Rovers Forum banner

Transmission Fault then goes into N 2010 RRS S/C

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  RoverGuy7 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I feel a little foolish and I fear this may cost thousands... This morning coming into work I felt the car shifting roughly and tried sport manual mode to see if I could control the shifts a little better but it still seemed to "pop" into gear and would even shift from 2nd to 3rd automatically while in manual mode and finally, up came a transmission fault in yellow and the car went into neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and put it in Park, then tried Drive again and no go. It was still in Neutral. Last hope.... I turned the engine off and restarted and the car worked normally again but i know this is a stern warning that something is wrong.

While sitting at my desk trying to make sense of all this I remembered a burning smell that definitely wasn't motor oil. It smelled more like an oily rubber burning smell. Stupid me, I just ignored it these past few weeks so I'm wondering if this could simply be the result of a leak somewhere. Note that there are no oil stains on the garage floor and the smell is definitely there but quite faint.

Starting to feel my wallet deteriorate here lol. Aside from low tranny fluid and a possible leak would there be anything else that could cause this fault to pop up? Can anyone please help?

P.S. I'm at work right now so I'll scan the codes tonight. Brake lights all seem fine it have not checked the brake light switch yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, just letting you know, similar thing happened to me recently. Couldn't pop it into Drive at all, so it's at the dealership now and they're working on it. Initial diagnosis is they have to flush the transmission fluid, and run some new cables through there that were damaged due to corrosion.

Not part of any warranty:(

#3 ·
Haha it's the same thing I had. Corroded coolant lines. So how much is it costing you? I responded to your post a few days ago and last I read you were waiting on a response from the dealership. So is that all that's wrong or is there more?

#7 ·
Hmmmm. Shifter lever bushings? Did they explain to you why you need new ones? If I Recall Correctly your issue was just blown lines right?

#8 ·
Yes blown lines, but it appeared to be a 2-prong issue. The shifter lever was also SUPER loose and I didn't notice it only because I had nothing to benchmark against; now that they fixed that too, it shifts so smooothly and I can feel the lever shifting into place and locking in much better than before:)

#9 ·
Of course you will it's brand new lol. Well you got it done so it's not all terrible and you did notice a clear improvements good.... I'm just wondering if you really did need it or if it could have waited.

#10 ·
Yup, very fair point...no idea. Don't plan on going back to the dealership, I'll be looking around for a good indy shop around here since the dealer already tried to lock me in into a $6,000 fix for the timing chain and supercharger pulley (!) which are due soon, according to them :/

#11 ·
If it has never been done on your car then yes, it is due soon. There is a defect in the initial design that they fix when they replace all the parts so after that fix the whole thing should be good for a good while longer. This is the reason why I prefer turbochargers to superchargers. With turbos, as long as you change the oil frequently you're fine. The SCs on our land rovers are self lubricating so eventually the stuff dries out and you need to replace the whole thing. Sad!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.