MY2010+ alternator failure common?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MY2010+ alternator failure common?

FRESHMAN ROVER

MY2010+ alternator failure common?

Just curious as to how many 2010+ 5.0 V8 owners have had an alternator fail. I think the original unit is a Japanese made Denso product that should be very reliable but battery and charging issues seem common to these vehicles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: MY2010+ alternator failure common?

It's not that battery/charging issues are common. Range Rovers have been complete power hogs for ages. Folks tend to ignore their batteries and cables with their fluid checks, a cable begins to corrode or works loose.... Pretty soon resistance builds, battery is not not receiving full alternator output and the battery gets too weak. The added stress on the alternator can burn it out as well.

When you get right down to it failure rates are actually quite low as a percentage. The nature of a forum is that far more people report issues then report lack of issues. For every person that reports a battery issue related error message or has to replace an alternator due to some freak issue you will have hundreds of owners that have driven along with no issues at all.
    Have you ever listened to someone for awhile
    and wondered who ties their shoelaces for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Compulsive View Post
    Just curious as to how many 2010+ 5.0 V8 owners have had an alternator fail. I think the original unit is a Japanese made Denso product that should be very reliable but battery and charging issues seem common to these vehicles.
    Had mine go in my 2010 SC.. Do yourself a favor, if it is humming,, get it replaced.. It can go at any moment.. In my case, my entire dash lit up like a christmas tree the truck had almost no power to get up the hill near my house.
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC - Santorini Black with Ebony Interior (sold)
    2017 Range Rover Sport HSE - Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus Interior

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCod View Post
    Had mine go in my 2010 SC.. Do yourself a favor, if it is humming,, get it replaced.. It can go at any moment.. In my case, my entire dash lit up like a christmas tree the truck had almost no power to get up the hill near my house.
    Thanks for the feedback. Was the humming really obvious and how long was it noisy before it died? How many miles on it?

RRToadHall, I fully appreciate what you are saying and I don't believe that these vehicles have alternator problems per se, instead I was trying to find out the average lifespan of a MY2010+ Denso alternator. Many late-model high-tech vehicles with lots of electronic gizmos need new alternators well before 100k miles.

Thanks for the feedback. Was the humming really obvious and how long was it noisy before it died? How many miles on it?
    I am pretty sensitive to noises in my car, particularly small changes in the normal operations of my car. I noticed it right away, but someone in the car with me could not hear it at all. It all depends on how in tune with the normal operation noises in your car you are.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am pretty sensitive to noises in my car, particularly small changes in the normal operations of my car. I noticed it right away, but someone in the car with me could not hear it at all. It all depends on how in tune with the normal operation noises in your car you are.
    Understood. How many miles did your 2010 have when the alternator failed? Do you know how many batteries it had been through by that time?

Understood. How many miles did your 2010 have when the alternator failed? Do you know how many batteries it had been through by that time?
    I had about 77k on the clock, and have not replaced the battery yet.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just replaced mine in December 2016 on MY2011 SC, 112,000 miles. Heard the odd noise while running errands and after the 2nd pit stop and 10-15 miles the warning lights came on.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Alternators will degrade with heat and time - or if they get wet. A few guys in the lr club here drove lr3,s through the mud pit at speed and killed their alternators within hours. 80k mikes +/- would not be uncommon - maybe less in hot humid climate ... I rebuilt my Bosch alternator on Porsche around 60k .... rebuild at a local shop is a good way to go if you want to save money - just don't put a cheap Chinese rebuild on .....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.