Range Rovers Forum banner

rear hub bearing replacement?

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  randomdevice 
#1 ·
All,

This seems like the best place for this. On Thursday I went outside and walked around the 08SC and saw that both back tires look similar to this picture:
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Auto part

I got super busy, took the wife's car and ran my errands. Her being the great wife goes out and gets me a full set of tires. Great. Today I drove up to the park and when rounding a bend hear a real grinding noise coming from the back - sort of like when you are hitting the rumble strips on the side of the highway.

Am I looking at wheel bearings or something else...?

Thanks,

JAB

See less See more
#3 ·
ODO: 98K miles
Alignment is fine. no vibrations from 0-85+
growl in both directions

Don't know how to check bushings - but will do so if you tell me how.

Some additional information. When I bought this back in March it had ~94K on it. The tires were close to new. Tread on the fronts were measured at a 7 when the wife got new tires, backs were at 3 or 4 along with the wear.

The previous owner did provide me with great paperwork on repair history all done by the local LR dealership.

At 80K the read diff was replaced along with rear brakes Dec 2014
Jun 2013 during inspection Rear ace bar was leaking - no notice that this was fixed...

Apologies, I am not afraid to use a wrench but just don't know what I should be looking for.

Thanks,

#4 ·
First thing to check would be a 4 wheel alignment, with toe and camber properly adjusted. Find out what the settings are at the moment, and how far out of whack they are. Very early model LR3's and RRS if I recall correctly had premature wearing. Need to also make sure your rear bushings are not shot...but when they do the alignment, they can look for that as well.

A slowly wearing rear hub bearing could sound like worn tires...but if you're hearing grinding, they can easily verify if the bearing is shot by moving the wheel from side to side or top to bottom when its suspended in the air. Definitely replace both rears at the same time if one is shot.

#5 ·
Vague memory that LRNA released revised alignment specs due to this. I believe Umberto posted the tech bulletin. You should make sure to take a copy to the alignment shop to ensure they use the correct specs. Of course my memory could be derailed at this hour of the morning. :mrgreen:

#6 ·
Yup, there are revised specs, but any alignment machine that's been updated in the past 8 years should have them, but still best to be sure.

The wear you have there is from incorrect toe, which is adjustable.

I have replaced a few rear bearings(not nearly as common of a failure as the fronts) it's a press in bearing, not a bolt on hub like the front, and for some reason I have only ever seen the right rear bearing fail(still a good idea to replace as a pair). I could see this be the cause of your noise, however I highly doubt it has much to do with the tire wear.

If you do need to replace the bearing, I always suggest replacing the backing plate for that wheel, as it will be slightly tweaked during removal of the bearing, and is the mounting point for the parking brake shoes, which can turn into a large repair if they are not adjusted and aligned correctly.

#8 ·
OEM bushings seem to be favored, Poly bushings can create a "harsh" ride...experience from a few friends here in town who have gone that route. Depends on what feeling you're looking for in the driving experience.

#9 ·
Alignment came back back as the right rear was -0.47. As a point of reference the recommended range is 0.05 to 0.18.

After re-calibrating the alignment the ride seems very much improved.

I did attempt to recreate the growl on some long turns at speed, both left and right, and could not.

Occam's Razor....

#10 ·
Presumably you mounted new tires before getting the alignment...otherwise, you will have to check it again when you get the new ones on...just to be certain. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.