Thoughts on 32" tires
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 32" tires

Thoughts on 32" tires

Before getting my Zeons, I was quite interested in making the 32" size fit because I really wanted more aggressive tread on the tires that I'd only be using once or twice a year (go big or go home right?). After realizing that the big problem would be the spare fitting underneath I ended up with the 285/60/18 LTZ (31.5") - a great choice as everyone here is using them and they are a proven tire for our Sports.
    I am very happy with my purchase, though I have realized that perhaps there was another option. Get the more aggressive 32"s for all four corners and just use the 31.5" as the spare. It might have a little limp getting home, but probably stay fairly capable. I may try this option when I need new tires in, oh, 15 years. I'm sure there will be plenty more options by then though.
    Just my thoughts for someone who might want to try it.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: Thoughts on 32" tires

The 32's would rub pretty bad under full compression, no? Besides, do you think the 31.5" LTZ's are holding you back?

You're right, they're definitely going to rub more, how much is too much? I can't say. Some of the LR3 guys have mentioned that with the modified sensor rods, this is negated (how, I'm not sure, maybe the new rods don't let the tires stuff as much?). What got me thinking about it were the pictures from Birdseye Gulch on http://www.traildamage.com. The major obstacle is a mud pit and there are a lot of pictures of "mud slicks". I really might have tried the Goodyear MTRs if I had thought about it sooner, no real loss though.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Premium Member

i'm actually considering the same thing. some of the LR3 guys in our club have gone with the shortened sensor rods and Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs in 275/65/18 (32.1"). there's a pretty good thread on GY DuraTracs on LR3s here. now regarding the rubbing issue, here's a response in that same thread which details how he rerouted a heater hose for the rear ac/heat unit.

i'm on the verge of getting modified rods. just need to paypal the $ over. i went with the ones from sasquatch offroad since i know the guy, he lives one city over, and he'd come over already to verify they fit our vehicles. i'm still on the fence if i want to run DuraTracs full time. i already have to put my RRS into access mode in the garage so i can open the tailgate all the way. sasquatch has been running the rod mod (still on nittos tho) for about a year now with no probs so far. he suggests getting a full alignment if running them full time. he also noted he wheels in access mode most of the time.

i've seen those DuraTracs in person and they look awesome! we tried to do a tire test across several different LR3s with different tires - nittos, coopers, duratracs. it wasn't entirely scientific as we had some slight variances between vehicles: LR3 with nittos and no rear locker, LR3 with coopers and rear locker, LR3 with duractracs and rear locker, RRS with nittos, fat drivers in some cars, skinny guys in others. on a slick rock stair case obstacle, the coppers seemed to provide the most grab and grip where each vehicle seemed to lose traction. followed by the nittos. however, on a steep hill called "truck hill" that's mostly loose sand, the duractracs provided a whole lot of bite into the loose sand.
    2006 Java Black HSE | Rover Specialties sliders | LR skid plate | BajaRack
    2" lift Sasquatch rods | GAP Diagnostics EAS | Fancy divider to prevent cargo from crushing my kids
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

Premium Member

Hmm, I know when my 285/55-20 Coopers were new, they rubbed a bit under full compression and full lock. As they weardown, they start to fit better. I think mine are 31.4" or so when new, so 32" might give you more rub.. Can't hurt (me) for you to try it though.
    If more aggressive tread is all you're after, just buy a $70 tread cutter and cut your AT tires to a more 'mud' tread pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by phil.
    i'm on the verge of getting modified rods.
    Me too actually. I want to see them on some more Sports and I'll probably take the plunge. I think I would only use them for off-roading. Since I typically only see myself doing any real off-roading at the Rallies or other large events, I would just rather install them once I get there, do my thing, and take them back off before driving home. Of course when this rig is retired to off-road duty only, that is another story, maybe someone will offer springs by then.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Premium Member

just got my rods today. i'll post pics when i get them on this weekend.
    2006 Java Black HSE | Rover Specialties sliders | LR skid plate | BajaRack
    2" lift Sasquatch rods | GAP Diagnostics EAS | Fancy divider to prevent cargo from crushing my kids
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

Nice, can't wait to see it! Someone at the Rally thought I had the rod mod; it was quite the compliment.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Mista.

There's a better option, just requires some thoughts to go back than forward with say wheel/tire fitments from Dick Cepek.

The first generation LR3's came out on "S Spec." with 17 inch rims and tyres in overseas markets where Dick Cepek has a new range of Radial Mud Country choices in 17/18 inch varieties or their latest Crusher pattern which is 17 inch size only ! !

Understanding the platform of the Rangey Sport is a shortened Disco3 with similar size disc or caliper arrangements & you have an immediate solution to finding 32" tall tyre equation sources stateside which will perform much better going off-road.

Check out www.kingsprings.com.au which are the legendary aftermarket suppliers of Land Rover suspension components down under, as I've got a set of these with polyair bags in the rear of my Classic and are excellent with my new Bilstiens.

Their 2009 catalogue for existing and future replacement coils is a worthwhile look with maybe Doetsch-Tech Series 8000's ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
    '88 Highline
    Perth, W.A.

Those are some interesting thoughts! If I am not mistaken, a few of our European counterpart vehicles do have smaller brakes, so while they may have been equipped with the smaller wheel package, it may be due to having smaller brakes also. That's good news from DC, as the Goodyear MTRs (19") were first only available overseas and after a few years they made it to our shores; hopefully DC will follow suit in an applicable size for us!

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Quote Originally Posted by Drevs
    do you think the 31.5" LTZ's are holding you back?
    Yes.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Premium Member

...yup, that extra 1/2 inch would surely have made the difference!!!

PJPR - 06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by TripleE
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevs
    do you think the 31.5" LTZ's are holding you back?
    Yes.
    Haha, you're way too hard core!!

SOPHOMORE ROVER

hEy Bro.

If you give the 17 inch option one more consideration, I've just checked the Interco Tire Corporation for their very serious off-road, i.e. Super Swampers down south on their website and they have a new SS-M16 radial in 31x10.5R17 coming soon !

This theoretically is going to measure out at 31.7" in overall diameter on a 17x8 inch wide rim which is definitely going to help you out in the hardcore arena as per your illustration. This size equates to a metric equivalent fitment of 265/70R17. At least the tyre should be both load and speed rated for your Rangey Sport and should cope with major sidewall punishment.

It's important to make sure in serious mud running there's sufficient clearance under the guards to allow the tires to self clean the black stuff, otherwise it's as if your just playing around the hog heaven with 'Maytag' rims on during a spin cycle.

You're beached _ you're beached ez Bro _ you're fully beached _ you're fully beached ez Bro _ Hey Bro need a bucket & a hose ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
    '88 Highline
    Perth, W.A.

As said above, there are no 17" rim options for us in North America, as the stock brakes in our RRS trims (HSE and S/C) are too large. I have seen a couple of LR3s (Disco3 to you) fitted with 17" rims locally, but only because the owners had the smaller brakes / discs specifically flown in from Europe to downsize them. Sadly, things are about to get worse with the MY2010s being launched, as apparently the new stock brakes will be bigger still, and even 18" rim will no longer fit over them, let alone 17s.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!