Range Rovers Forum banner

Brake Pad light on and options to get a brake Job done

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gooseyloosey 
#1 ·
My Check brake pad light came on this afternoon so guess its time for pads and maybe rotors.... was going to take it to the dealer but wondered if anyone has has experience of Just Brakes doing a Pad or rotor change.... I wonder what the price and quality is vs the dealer....

Any comments welcome Cheers, Adrian

#2 ·
ayates said:
was going to take it to the dealer but...
Don't know about Just Brakes (local outfit? I don't think I've heard of them here in SoCal), but :thumb: on the "But" part! You should have little trouble finding nearby reputable brake shops or indy LR mechanics able to do the job cheaper and faster, just make sure they use OEM parts and you'll drive away without that funny feeling in your rear end that you get whenever the dealer services your brakes.

PS: The brake light is supposed to go on when either front or rear pads are about 75% worn, so although that's not an exact science and you should not wait forever to get them serviced, you don't have to rush to get them done tomorrow, either. As long as you can live with the annoying chime you have a few days to decide where to take her...

#5 ·
Great Thanks Umbertob.... maybe go see MIDAS instead.... :D really dont want to pay LRNA prices and spend the week explaining to SHMBO and the dogs whilst i have to sleep in the kennel

#6 ·
Buying the pads/sensors and having an independent shop do the work will save you big $$$$$.

Anyone know what a fair rate is to swap out the pads?

#7 ·
I was just quoted $315 and change for new rear pads, sensor and reskimming of rotors from MIDAS, the dealer said they start at $300 ???? :think:

#8 ·
The dealer just quoted me $700 ... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#10 ·
It pains me to see people getting ripped off on brake jobs.

Any competent mechanic with a lift shouldn't take more than 1 hr labor to do the front, and 1 hr to do the back. I am not a mechanic but I can do any car (front and back) with the vehicle on the ground using the friggin' jack in the trunk in 2 hrs. If the sensor wire needs to be replaced, add 20 minutes and the cost of a box of band aids to the job.

So the very most it should cost (for the whole car)= 3 hrs labor (@$XX-XXX/hr depends on where you live), plus the pads and rotors (figure that out from one of the sponsor parts sites).

#11 ·
:thumb: :thumb: JOB DONE at a reasonable price $315... MrsY is happy :wink:

#12 ·
I just picked up my rover from the 45K mile service, I need my rear brakes done the light has been on for 2 months now. I have 2MM left. I need new rear rotors, new rear pads and the sensor. the dealer said $550.00

It's the highest dealer quote for rear brakes that I have ever heard of. They said my rotors can't be turned (and they don't turn rotors anyway)

I too will check out just brakes

a while back I posted about the EBC- I have decided that I don't need to upgrade the pads or rotors for my fat over weight under powered POS

#13 ·
FAT__RSS said:
I just picked up my rover from the 45K mile service, I need my rear brakes done the light has been on for 2 months now. I have 2MM left. I need new rear rotors, new rear pads and the sensor. the dealer said $550.00

It's the highest dealer quote for rear brakes that I have ever heard of. They said my rotors can't be turned (and they don't turn rotors anyway)

a while back I posted about the EBC- I have decided that I don't need to upgrade the pads or rotors for my fat over weight under powered POS
You don't need Rotors - check the minimium thickness. Composite rotors are not usally turned, but a good shop can turn them for really cheap.

YOu can get away with just pads. I recommended Porterfield pads - hardly anny dust and great stopping with performance. As mentioned below by someone - its a quick job and not rocket science to change pads.

#14 ·
I ended up at MIDAS, they did a good job and way better cost than LRNA, took them about an 1.5 hrs inc getting the parts

Only thing I need now is a new wheel balance

#15 ·
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
[quote="FAT__RSS":thnus47h]I just picked up my rover from the 45K mile service, I need my rear brakes done the light has been on for 2 months now. I have 2MM left. I need new rear rotors, new rear pads and the sensor. the dealer said $550.00

You don't need Rotors - check the minimium thickness. Composite rotors are not usally turned, but a good shop can turn them for really cheap.

YOu can get away with just pads. I recommended Porterfield pads - hardly anny dust and great stopping with performance. As mentioned below by someone - its a quick job and not rocket science to change pads.[/quote:thnus47h]

thanks, I will look into that.

#17 ·
Flash G said:
What's a fair labor price to do the front and rear pads? (Labor only.)
Flash, see 10th post, 5th line.

I would imagine the hourly rate in the Hollywood Hills (depending on how high up the hill the shop is :D ) is higher than in Compton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.