Rear Clunking - Everything is tight
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear Clunking - Everything is tight

Rear Clunking - Everything is tight

A few weeks back I had the rear Ace bar replaced on my 2010 RRS SC, as it was leaking pretty good. Since I got it back I have been getting an intermittent clunking from the rear. There is no rhyme or reason to it, but it tends to happen less over larger bumps and at higher speeds. Which confuses both me and the shop. When I am driving, especially in traffic, and there is even a slight uneven spot, the clunk will present itself. I have brought it back three times, and everything in the back is tight and without play. The noise is hollow in sound and sounds almost like a drum. Has anyone else ever run into this? Any ideas on what should be checked?

The shop that replaced it is very good at what they do, and they specialize only on rovers.
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC - Santorini Black with Ebony Interior (sold)
    2017 Range Rover Sport HSE - Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus Interior

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Rear Clunking - Everything is tight

Are your rear seatbelts in front of the seat or draped behind? I chased a random hollow sound for a while and realized my seat belts were behind the seat after folding them back up and were lightly tapping the interior panel. Sounded like it was coming from strut area when driving.
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Brimill1234 View Post
    Are your rear seatbelts in front of the seat or draped behind? I chased a random hollow sound for a while and realized my seat belts were behind the seat after folding them back up and were lightly tapping the interior panel. Sounded like it was coming from strut area when driving.
    Good suggestion. I have had that before, so I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately this is not the same noise. If my window is down, I can hear it outside of the vehicle.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Not sure about the disconnectable sway bar, but to remove the regular one I recall the body has to be separated from the frame...that a lot of stuff to move around, perhaps something didn't get tightened up?

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey View Post
    Not sure about the disconnectable sway bar, but to remove the regular one I recall the body has to be separated from the frame...that a lot of stuff to move around, perhaps something didn't get tightened up?
    You are correct, the body does have to be lifted to access it, even with the Ace Bar. They spent hours checking everything yesterday. Every piece was secured and tight. It is quite frustrating.

Hey CC,

Is the dealership doing this under the extended warranty coverage you bought a while back? Just wondering...
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

Yes, it was covered. I have been back three times, and they have not charged me for any of the follow-up visits. They seem baffled. Surprisingly after that initial nonsense with that warranty, they have been super easy to deal with oddly enough.

Upon reading on other range rover models with the Ace system, it appears that the Ace Bar can create this problem. In a lot of cases, if they pull the fuse for the Ace System, the noise disappears. I want to try this, but have no idea which fuse goes to that system.

Interesting...... Well, we have the same model and year so my fuse boxes are most likely the same as yours unless there is a Canadian version. The only difference that comes to mind is the heated windshield.

What does ACE stand for in terms of the Ace Bar?

As for the coverage, bravo!!!!! I'm glad it is paying off for you. Makes me consider getting one as well.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

Quote Originally Posted by Canrover View Post
    Interesting...... Well, we have the same model and year so my fuse boxes are most likely the same as yours unless there is a Canadian version. The only difference that comes to mind is the heated windshield.

What does ACE stand for in terms of the Ace Bar?

As for the coverage, bravo!!!!! I'm glad it is paying off for you. Makes me consider getting one as well.
    Yea, so the last 10 months the tally is up to $17k in work. $11k of that was covered by the warranty. Warranty cost $3800, so it has paid for itself three times over.

ACE Stands for Active Cornering Enhancement.

JUNIOR ROVER

Mine also makes that clunking sound every so often and seems more prevalent when it's cold outside. I think it's the ace system doing its thing.
    Just a wild guess, but I also think the tight new bushings add to it because they resist the twist of the bar.

I also think we become more aware of sounds that should not be there after changing out the bushings.
    2009 RRS S/C

Quote Originally Posted by arby View Post
    Mine also makes that clunking sound every so often and seems more prevalent when it's cold outside. I think it's the ace system doing its thing.
    Just a wild guess, but I also think the tight new bushings add to it because they resist the twist of the bar.

I also think we become more aware of sounds that should not be there after changing out the bushings.
    This clunking is LOUD.. This is not normal operation at all. I had someone at a stop light tell me to have my rear suspension checked that something is broken.

JUNIOR ROVER

Not at home , so can't read my manual for fuse location. Tried a bit of a google search. Maybe the system needs bleeding.
    http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....bleeding/page3
    2009 RRS S/C

Quote Originally Posted by arby View Post
    Not at home , so can't read my manual for fuse location. Tried a bit of a google search. Maybe the system needs bleeding.
    http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....bleeding/page3
    This is great information. Thanks so much!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Not sure if there are sway bar links between end of ace bar and axle - I assume those were replaced ? WEre they new or rebuilt ? We're bushings also replaced ? On conventional system clunking often comes from worn bushings or worn joints in the links. If Cluncking started after ace bar replace - perhaps you have defective unit and need it replaced again ? Others on these forums got clunck from e-park brake - loose springs or something like that inside drum .. Was that removed or adjusted during ace job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
    Not sure if there are sway bar links between end of ace bar and axle - I assume those were replaced ? WEre they new or rebuilt ? We're bushings also replaced ? On conventional system clunking often comes from worn bushings or worn joints in the links. If Cluncking started after ace bar replace - perhaps you have defective unit and need it replaced again ? Others on these forums got clunck from e-park brake - loose springs or something like that inside drum .. Was that removed or adjusted during ace job ?
    When the rear ACE bar was replaced, the bushings were also replaced. The links did not need replacement, as they were tight and not sloppy.

As a diagnostic measure, I am curious to find the fuse for the ACE system so I can pull it and see if it does away with the clunking. From what I am reading on other forums, pulling the fuse almost always does away with the noise. If it does silence the clunking, I will be stuck to figure out what exactly is causing the clunking within the system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.