Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC

Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC

Since this is such a difficult to find topic I wanted to make it readily available for others interested. Here is a link to making your oem Nav touch screen work with other touchscreen systems, like carputers etc

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2100 ... =usb+touch

Quote Originally Posted by wiggs
    Right , some may know i am in the process of putting a car pc in my car :thumbsup:

One of the main things i didnt want was an extra screen.So after a few months of research and internet browsing i have finaly found some goodies that will do the job.

I have purchased a little circuit board from the USA which converts the 4 wires that come from the sat nav touch screen.

The unit converts the touchscreen signals and converts them to a USB plug.This then can be plugged in your car pc / tablet / laptop or whatever.

Here is the unit

Unit costs $30.50 ...bargain ...plus p/p ..i opted for the $12 postage and it took 18 days !!

It also comes with both leads ..usb and one that goes to the screen

Website is here http://www.tvielectronics.com/Products/ ... roller.htm

Drivers and calibration software on there also :thumbsup:

They have been great ..keeping me informed of packing / posting etc ...they even emailed me to see if it had arrived safely :thumbsup:

Now this unit basicaly interups the signal from the LCD to the main board in the sat nav screen.

I however ..being me.. wanted to have it so i could swap over from touch screen sat nav to PC.

So i had to make up a small circuit board with a 4 pole relay on it.

What should happen is that it will be normal sat nav touch screen operation at all times ..only when i send power to the relay will it then transfer to the car pc...if that makes sence.

Here is my wiring diagram

While this is not hard ..the cable that comes from the sat nav screen is absolutly tiny ..it has 4 wires in a flat ribbon cable which are a milimeter apart and a milimeter thick..not much fun trying to solder.

Also the cable from the screen is very short , so i made a little circuit with a joining piece on to be able to extend.

Heres a couple of pics testing in the car

I have been testing all afternoon ..main thing to look out for is that you get all the wires in the right orientation ..basicaly you need to get them all in the right order otherwise no signal.

I marked the ribbon cable with a black marker and called that pin one ..than take your time and make sure number 1 is the same on each connector.

Any way all works great ..here is a couple of small vids showing it working on some calibration software you can download for free from the TVI electronics website.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUyE1SN8do

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HH_rGT12lgE

Aplogies for the naff quality pics and videos ..i broke my camera at the lakes and am using a :censored: second one ..

Any questions , or if you want a step by step ..i have taken pics..

I need to get a longer 4 pin ribbon cable so i can mount it in a box down the side of the nav screen..

Also on the video , you will see me messing with the relay ..i have not powered it yet ..the relay had a test pin in the top to change from n/o to n/c contacts..just in case you wondered what im doing.

I hope this will be of use to somebody :thumbsup:
    Parts here :thumbsup:

Work station fired up and ready

Seriously ..it was a right pain ..the relay base , flat ribbon connectors and the other connectors i used were all a different size in the pin bases ..made for great fun soldering
    Well after waiting to get a longer ribbon cable ..i have now done some more testing and everything is looking good.

Longer ribbon cable

Circuit board covered in "warm " glue ..stops anything touching that shouldn't ..and stops any naff solder joints

Putting it together in a small box.

Quick test ..note sneeky preview of windows on the screen :thumbsup:

Box fit's down here like a glove :thumbsup:

Quick tidy up of the wires and a small piece of foam to stop the cables rubbing on the sharp edge of screen mounting.

Have routed the USB lead and power lead down to the bottom of the center consul for now as im still testing the interface box.

But everything working ok ..good times :thumbsup:

Widget from the USA comes with a USB lead for one end of the board and another 4 pin lead for the other .

http://shop-on-line.tvielectronics.com/ ... rawing.pdf

http://shop-on-line.tvielectronics.com/ ... rawing.pdf

The rest of the stuff i got from RS components..have a look what i ordered ( pictures are not the best on RS)

514-4290
    325-3342
    515-1462
    515-1327

I had to order 10 of each ... only used 4 altogether ..

2 x 515-1327
    1 x 514-4290
    1 x 515-1462

Joining connector ( to extend from screen wires to main board)

Main board

I can send you a few if you like ..so you can see how small they realy are

You can get all differerent orientation connectors ..wires out the side , the bottom , the top etc etc ..just found the discriptions a bit misleading .

Then i found this after ordering ...may help http://molex.ttieurope.com/new_site/pre ... uction.cfm
    :thumbsup:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC

Looks like a fun little project... Vaya con Dios touchscreen boy, we're all behind you!

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

Wow, killer pile of info. I am sure glad you are doing this and not me.

Be sure to let us see in process pictures and any final bits of advice. We'll have John add it to the home page upgrades page.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Quote Originally Posted by rrtoadhall
    Wow, killer pile of info. I am sure glad you are doing this and not me.

Be sure to let us see in process pictures and any final bits of advice. We'll have John add it to the home page upgrades page.

Yeah its about a 2-3 hour project for this alone, another guy in the UK is going to be making his next week so we'll see how it goes. Just waiting on my other stuff to come in.

Here is my list of stuff I'm going to be condesning into the system. It will allow me to get rid of my ipod and sirius modules and centalize everything.
    I'm getting down with the get down...

Sirius
    nav
    internet
    music
    video
    Radar detector
    Send & Receive text messages via your connected cellular phone

On-Board Diagnostics
    Connect with your car's OBD-II, J-1850, CAN, i-Bus, or Consult interface and display real-time data on all diagnostic information available. (RPM/Temps/Speedometer/etc.)
    Pull and clear error codes immediately.
    Find 0-60, 0-100, 60-0, 100-0, 1000', 1/8 mi, and 1/4 mi times (Use GPS to mark ideal performance testing sites)
    Find vehicle horsepower and torque
    View live data with graphs of fuel injector pulse widths, knock adjustments, O2 sensors, etc.

Premium Member

That's impressive...what an imagination to be able to put all that together...my hats off to those who can do this kind of stuff.
    PJPR - 06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (180K miles!)

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    That's impressive...what an imagination to be able to put all that together...my hats off to those who can do this kind of stuff.
    Chrono started it around here. I'm just trying to take it to the next level with the touchscreen and diagnostics stuff. That's pretty badd a** in my opinion.

JUNIOR ROVER

Wow, just wow!
    2008 Range Rover Supercharged Stornoway/Sand DVD
    http://www.uh.edu/learningleading/images/468_uofh1.gif

JUNIOR ROVER

WOW, I am dizzy now.
    2006 RRS HSE-Zermatt "Ellie"

where to get the parts? had problems with the aforementioned links above

http://uk.rs-online.com

Type in these part number in the search bar

514-4290
    325-3342
    515-1462
    515-1327

TOUCH SCREEN CONTROLLER:

http://shop-on-line.tvielectronics.com/ ... ontrollers

since we cannot edt posts, I'll have to keep on posting new posts.

here is the parts list from this http://uk.rs-online.com place. There are a few extra things needed. Some parts have a minum of 5 or 10, but you really only need one or sometimes two of each.

[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/kol***e/parts.jpg[/img]

FRESHMAN ROVER

That is pretty awesome. I can't even imagine attempting something like that.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have shrunk the components needed (relay can be much smaller), and also designed a couple of PCB's that will make it very easy to assemble. I am getting it all together and will post back when I get everything put together:

First board is the main board that holds the relay and the FFC connectors and switch/controller headers
    Second small board is the interconnect board that has two FFC connectors to allow the Rover monitor cable to be extended down to the the switch box.

First board is about 1" x 2"
    Second board is about 0.5" x 0.5"

Parts list from Mouser electronics (local US company http://www.mouser.com)

#1 512-1N4148TA $0.30
    #1 653-G6A-474P20DC12 $10.07
    #1 538-22-12-2024 $0.87
    #1 538-22-12-2044 $1.35
    #4 538-71226-0435 $1.05 x 4 = $4.20
    #1 538-21039-0243 $2.56

Total component cost $19.36, PCB's will be another approx. $10 for both. Add a case, and the whole thing should be about >$50.00. The USB controller cost $37.00 including shipping.

Include the GVIF switch I got from Dominic $280.00

The carputer I'm using I got from:
    http://www.logicsupply.com/products/artigo

I am going to use Linux, and have it do GPS w/traffic and google earth imaging, live internet browser through ATT HSPDA card, text messaging, weather, and OBD II info. Also, it will be a wireless hub.

It measures 5.9" x 1.8" x 4.3" and is 1GHZ without a fan. 1GB ram, 60GB HD. $350.00

Total with everything $730.00 add all the extra crap, cables, mounts, backup camera, etc. and the project is about $1K all in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC-picture-1.png   Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC-picture-2.png   Sat Nav Touch Screen Converted for USB Connection - Car PC-artigo_big.jpg  
    2007 FFRR/SC
    2006 RRS/SC

no fan and you live in Cali? you may want one...

mine is 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo system , 64MB Ram and 120GB hard drive with bluetooth, XP home, external CD/DVD drive that mounts in the glovebox or where ever you want it. 50mm fan, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, M2-ATX Smart Power Supply DC toDC.internal WiFi, USB SiRF III GPS Receiver (inside) antenna. The wirless OBD II is sick, I just got mine in today, Sirius module, AM,FM tunner, Ultrasonic Distance Sensor, 3-Axis Accelerometer.... HUGE project!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Murdered Out
    no fan and you live in Cali? you may want one...

mine is 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo system , 64MB Ram and 120GB hard drive with bluetooth, XP home, external CD/DVD drive that mounts in the glovebox or where ever you want it. 50mm fan, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, M2-ATX Smart Power Supply DC toDC.internal WiFi, USB SiRF III GPS Receiver (inside) antenna. The wirless OBD II is sick, I just got mine in today, Sirius module, AM,FM tunner, Ultrasonic Distance Sensor, 3-Axis Accelerometer.... HUGE project!
    The VIA 1GHZ is the best you can hope for before you need active (a fan) cooling. What carputer make/model are you using with all that stuff built in?
    2007 FFRR/SC
    2006 RRS/SC

Are you going to use Centrafuse?

its a custom one from http://www.Mo-co-so.com Not all of it is built

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.