Range Rovers Forum banner

$4,600 for headlight assembly?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Keybeeetsss 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone. I have a 2008 Range Rover Sport HSE, and today I had it serviced at the dealership. I spent about $2,200 getting new tires and oil change, etc. However, I had a problem with the headlights being aimed down too low, so it's hard to drive at night as the beams point too low to properly see into the distance. The lights were not replaced and the invoice reads, "Parts 51855 headlight adjusters broken in headlights, needs new headlight assemblys, adjuster not serviceable." I asked how much this would run me and the service guy told me they could be installed in about an hour and the cost would run me about $4,700. I find this really hard to believe. I did an initial parts search and see assemblies in the $500-$800 range. It seem the price they quoted me is totally ridiculous. Am I right here?

#2 ·
It literally takes about 10 minutes max to change out the headlight assembly, and you're spot on...prices for a used one (Roverland Parts for example) are in the 500-800 range. Dealership is definitely trying to stick it to you big time here! Buying new tires from a dealership is also likely to be way over priced...head to Discount Tire and you're out of there for less than $1K. Oil Change should be max $150 bucks. These guys are fleecing you...RUN!!

#13 ·
Buying new tires from a dealership is also likely to be way over priced...head to Discount Tire and you're out of there for less than $1K.
I purchase tires the Dealer because the tires on tirerack were only $15 per tire cheaper after shipping and tax however with the dealer I only paid tax on the labor and the dealership throws in one year tire warranty in for free. so instead of using tirerack to save $60 and have to bring tires in and everything I got a tire warranty for $60 and tax free on the parts. In that regard it makes more sense... at least in my case.

#3 ·
The dealer is always going to ask for a crazy amount of cash for a brand new headlight assembly. If I were you, I'd check eBay for listings for the light you need. Or maybe check your local junkyards for the headlight. Other than that, the dealer is going to charge a lot for it. Headlights are not hard at all to take out and replace. So if you can find one, then you can do the swap and not have to pay for labor cost also.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm less then thrilled with the Range Rover Dealership in Buckhead in Atlanta. I feel like they are totally overcharging me for everything, because they know I'm in a pinch and needed my car back ASAP for weekend travel. Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm going to call them in the morning and tell them where they can stick it. . .

#7 ·
I have heard of some outlandish quotes for repairs by dealers but this one beats the lot!!! Working on the current rate of exchange, that's about £3k here in the UK. I would tell the dealer to take a hike if he quoted me that here. I know that the complete units are £450 each here and an hours labour makes it around £1k. I would expect to pay no more than £1200 for the pair. I am lucky in that I have found a breaker that has never let me down yet. As long as I order by 1500hrs then the part will be with me next morning. I just got an O/S headlight unit from them last month for £65!!

#8 ·
It is truly incredible that the dealer can give you that price without flinching. I think they made a mistake. I would call and confirm that quote to be sure. Try to get a price for the two headlights from the parts department, not the service department. You can then look up pricing at reputable places such as parts.com, bputah, roverparts, landrovermerriam, and of course eBay. You may even look up powerfuluk. If they have only the right-hand drive headlights (for left side of street), they can be made right-hand by flipping a lever inside the assembly.

As PJ wrote, swapping both headlights in these trucks will take only about 10 minutes. I'd bet you can even do it in 10 minutes with your eyes closed second time you need to remove them. You can save that one hour labor and use it when servicing something else that only they can do.

#10 ·
I've read many reviews about the Buckhead dealer, and 3/4 of them were bad reviews. Alternatively, the dealer at north point has a much better reputation, and have taken mine there instead. There are also a few independent shops around too.

#11 ·
A friend of mine had a good analogy. If you want to own a premium vehicle out of warranty and you're not handy and you will only take it to the local dealer, it's basically the same as strapping $100 bills all over your body and walking through the red light district after midnight in a big city.

What will happen to you isn't right, but it's going to happen.

#14 ·
Fair enough...that's why I go to Discount Tire, have found their prices to be better than Tirerack plus shipping...may depend on the tire, and with the exception of some smaller towns there's usually a DT around in case of a replacement needed...with exceptions of course.

#16 ·
Agreed...Discount only has 900 locations in 28 states, not enough coverage for everyone and not as ubiquitous as WMT. Sounds like Iconoclast gets a fair deal from his dealer on tires, the OP unfortunately didn't in this case. But sometimes an emergency means having to pay a bit more than normal. Unfortunately the 45 degree applications in his case applied to tires and the headlight quote...thieving *******s!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.