Range Rovers Forum banner

75,000 service - $750?? (that includes 10% off!)

10K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Canrover 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a first time owner of a RR.

I have a 2011 RRS HSE and I'm taking it in for 75,000 service at the LR dealership in Annapolis, MD. They quoted me at $842 and I negotiated down to $750. Does the price make sense? It seems high.

The list of services include:

Pollen/Cabin Air Filter, r&r
Air Filter, r&r
Brake Inspection
Check adjustment of electric parking brake
check battery condition, fill electrolyte, clean terminals
check coolant level & freeze protection level
check operation of front/rear wipers, washers, blades
check for open service campaigns/recalls/service actions
change transfer gear box oil
if fault lamps are illuminated use T4, IDS, or SDD
inspect brake,, fuel lines for leaks, corrosion or damage
inspect serpentine drive belts
inspect tire pressures, condition, tread depth
lubricate wheel centers
OEM oil & filter change
inspect PAS hoses for leaks, corrosion or damage
power steering fluid level check/top off if necessary
rotate tires
record performance of service in passport to service
remove road wheels
reset the service interval indicator
windshield washer fluid level check/to-up if necessary
road test vehicle
select low range, move vehicle 60ft & select high

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks ok to me.

My 60k service was $750.00

#4 ·
That's normal. Not trying to say anything towards you, but this is why I always tell ppl, if they aren't used to, nor ready for High end car maintenance, stop getting happy when they see a high end car @half the price or less. It's about taking care of them to be able to keep them :cool:

#5 ·
have you tried asking for the service items you want them to perform and doing everything else yourself? i'm sure your hourly rate for inspecting & topping off washer fluid is lower than the dealers. not sure if it'll really bring the price down, but worth asking.

#16 ·
Definitely agree with this. All these inspect thingies are an excuse for an upswell. With a little googling and research you can learn how to "inspect" most of the things on the list yourself. As for everything they are replacing (oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, windshield washer fluid and top ups) this is all stuff you can do yourself at a fraction of the cost the dealership will tell you. If you're made of money and don't care then power to you but if if you're made of money and do care (which I'm guessing you do otherwise why would you have posted this thread) or you just have this car and want to take care of it, then learn to do all these things yourself so that when something REALLY goes wrong you'll know that it's not the thing you have learned to maintain.

I try to learn about all this stuff because I want to know exactly where the car stands mechanically and what is coming down the road. This way I can budget for the major work and prepare for the minor work ahead of time and not worry about being stranded on the side of the road one day because I don't have a clue what's going on with the car and just hand it to the dealership when something goes wrong.

#6 ·
I see in the other thread called "oil change special ??" that there is outrage over a $499 charge for an oil change and inspection, but this $750 service is ok because it has a transfer case change (cheap and easy), and a couple of air filters (cheap and easy) added to it.

Both seem pretty expensive for what you get.

#7 ·
Cheap & easy ain't the same as taking it in for scheduled services to the dealer. That's how I keep em going for miles on end. As for an oil change, it itself is only $90-$110 depending on the dealership, hence the "out rage". I again refer back to my prior post. Some won't like it, but that's something natural when it's truth...

#10 ·
My first post and I'm excited to say that we'll be owners of a 2011 RRS HSE this Sunday... maybe! :)
My question is, Is it possible to a lot of this work yourself? I've always done all my repairs on my vehicles myself. Heck I've restored my 68 Camaro in my own garage.
I understand Key's response regarding high end vehicles. But is it realistic to do your own maintenance on these RR's? Thanks.
Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

#11 ·
@WinterRover; 1st off, congrats on your "hopefully" New purchase & welcome! It sounds as though you're extremely car savvy, so, there's quite a bit that you should/would be able to do yourself. There's threads all around here, as well as a lot of videos from the Powerful UK guys showing how to do almost everything!!! I'm not car savvy, but have done things I'd NEVER think I would even have thought of even attempting, all thanks to the forum & Powerful UK...

#12 ·
Thank you Keys. Just the information I was looking for.
We'll let you know on Sunday!

#13 ·
I would never pay someone to do what I love doing. Granted, I am a semi-retired engineer but still, all of the work you listed above can be accomplished in a clean and organized personal garage in a few hours and you would LEARN from the experience and enjoy every part of it. Else, please let me do it for you in my shop for the low cost of one bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Sincerely!

#14 ·
Sounds like most of those items can be done with a snap visual check. A lot of the stuff is redundant, eg, lubricating wheel centres requires removing the wheels as does brake inspection which is mentioned as another item. Check this, check that, is usually a lead up to more costly repairs.
Just my 2 cents-- I do most all of my own work and oil changes.

#15 ·
Looks about right. I posted this in Jan when I had my 75k service done.

Hi Guys

I have a 2010 RRS LUX HSE with 70k. I just had the 75k service done on the truck. I have the extended 4yr/100k warranty provided by Contintenal that i bought through the dealership. Paid just under 4k for it when I had 47k miles on the truck.

1. Replaced oil
2. Air Cleaner replaced
3. Air Cabin Filter replaced
4. Hydraulic fluid replaced
5. Transfer Case service

$800.33 was the cost for this portion of the service.

I also had them replace the 4 wheel arch mouldings. One was hanging down and they replaced all 4.This was just a cosmetic thing but I'm anal about the truck and want it to look right.

$ 217.82 was for the parts & labor.

In addition they found out that I needed a right front wheel hub assembly. They estimated this to be around $750. But the after market warranty covered both parts and labor. This is the first time I had to use the aftermarket warranty and Im glad it paid for this. Now I have $3250 in repairs to break even on the cost of my warranty!!

had them do a state inspection $35

So after taxes and a $75 off coupon for service walked out the door

$1022 lighter. Not to bad. If I didnt have the cosmetic stuff done it would of been $770. out the door for the 75k service.

I also had them look at my wipers since the driver side was cleaning well. They said my Rain X Latitude wipers were not fitting correctly and wanted to sell me the LR wipers for $90/pair !!! Way to much money for wipers so I went to get some Bosch Icon Beam wipers hopefully they work better and they only cost $35 for the pair.

The said I would need brakes soon. The rears were replaced with 50k on the truck and the fronts replaced at 44k so i guess I will we due soon for a whole new set of brakes not looking forward to that cost!

anyways this was just a informative post. I hope this was helpful.​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.