Range Rovers Forum banner

2009 RRS needs engine any install tips?

7K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  drrm123 
#1 ·
New Range Rover owner kinda. Bought a 2009 that needs a engine relative with more money than sense tried driving with no oil. Oh well just buy another vehicle. All ready know it's completely locked up. So looking on flea bay and at auctions for donor vehicle or engine. Has anyone replaced a engine on 2005-2009 sport and do you have any installation tips. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Totally agree...Exactly right...these engines don't consume any oil at all, so it's either negligence or incompetence that led to this situation.

#6 ·
The RRS is designed to have the body come off for this type of work - not as bad as it sounds as it is meant to come off - relatively quick job with a two post hoist to lift the body leaving the rolling chassis on the ground and easy access to the engine.

#7 ·
Ron (P38arover) posted pics from when he and a buddy did a Sport engine swap. Indeed it is a body off procedure. The great positive is the chance to scrub everything up and do a complete inspection.

#10 ·
Because there are a lot of bits and pieces that are very hard to get at and with the body off these all fall to hand. The car was designed to have the body off for major engine work and as such is a relatively easy job and only takes a short period of time. Body just unbolts and looms etc just unclip.

If you want to make things hard for yourself leave the body on.

#9 ·
Was just looking for any general tips. Was going to pull engine with body still in place. I saw a couple of videos on you tube with it being done both ways. I saw a few engines on eBay and was looking at auctions for wrecked vehicle. Just unbolting parts a little bit every evening after work. Thanks for the replies.

#13 ·
Ok, so set up a lift in the front yard, bring out all your tools, set up electrical and air supplies in front yard, say hi to all your neighbors while you're looking like a superstar, set up stadium lights to see at night, remove body, drag chassis back into garage, find a way to add wheels to a RRS body (wow so easy), push body into second bay of 2 car garage so you now have no where to work, or buy some extra swivels. Hmmmm....

#15 ·
It was a joke Tex! Humour!!! A funny!!! I'd be surprised to see this engine removal actually take place....but in theory this might be the first or maybe 2nd one posted here.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
From the official Landrover Workshop Manual contained on ToPix - just an extract - see item 4.

Engine Removal
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to: Specifications (414-00 Charging System - General Information, Specifications).

2. WARNING: Do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.

Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Remove the wheels and tires.

4. Remove the body. For additional information, refer to: Body ...............

#19 ·
Frisco, thanks for finding info in AllData. Since AllData is designed for nondealer garages they often have short cuts and/or optional procedures.

Drrm, if you are not familiar with AllData it looks like your best option so far. You can sign up for a short term membership and print out/save any info you want so that you aren;t saddled with an annual or even monthly subscription.

#22 ·
Sounds like it's time for a monster garage at the OP's house to flip the engine out. There should be at least 5 folks ready to jump in with tools like a Formula 1 team!

#26 ·
A possible list of Monster Garage topics:

1. How to jack up your RRS w/o destroying your air suspension compressor.
2. What does Command Shift really do?
3. Which direction do I turn my Terrain Response knob?
4. How to safely use floor jacks - are they really needed?
5. How to unlock my tailgate when the upper window opens, but the bottom doesn't?
6. Color coding 101 tips along with garage organization tips - how to successfully fit a Lotus/Porsche/Ferrari alongside your RRS w/o dinging the doors.

Other suggestions for topics more than welcome!

#27 ·
To all the comidians money is not the issue. I was looking for a X5 but came across this was to good a deal to pass up. Have a 2013 Camaro zl1, 1992 corvette zr1, 2 1970 chevelles ss396, 1982 Chevy el Camino and 2002 jeep grand Cherokee. Won't waste my time listing motorcycles. I use snap on tools. I'm not a mechanic but do play one in my spare time. Anyway I digress, was looking for any basic info which I got on engine removal. I'll add some pictures if they can posted from my phone. :ppppp

#29 ·
Decided to work on my project today. Removed all 15 engine to Trans bolts. Disconnected fan, all radiator and heater hoses, heat shields, lower inner fender access panels, air cleaner, mass air flow sensor, both skid plates and sprayed down the exhaust manifold bolts to let soak for a few days. Found a wrecked RRS at auction but not up for sale for about a month. Trying to decide if I want to wait on it or just buy a engine. Will post some pictures when I decide to finish it.

Attachments

#30 ·
So body on then I would guess?
Keep it documented for future swappers please?

Martin

#35 ·
Latest update, got just about everything connected on engine. Tried cranking over but got nothing but a click. Disconnected starter and would turn over but not with a lot of torque. Had another starter off engine I bought and got the same thing, just click when trying to start. Charged battery last night to make sure it had a full charge. Almost drove to Walmart 20 miles away to buy new battery at 11:00pm. Read a few post about no start issue. Tried grounding jumpers cables from battery to starter, still same click. Went and ordered a new starter today and would not be in till tomorrow. So decided to check something's with a multi meter didn't get voltage at main starter wire. Tested a few other things and found 400 amp fuse in black connect on pos battery terminal was blown. Pulled one from old wiring harness off engine I purchased. Turned key and truck fired right up. Need to fill up transmission still and antifreeze in radiator. Should be done this weekend and drive for a few days to put about 100 miles and make sure no check engine lights. Then off to have smog check done. Need to go back to cancel order for starter too. Thanks for the Harbor Freight extension and swivel tips but, I didn't need them the snap-ons worked just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.