Range Rovers Forum banner

"Suspension Fault - Normal Height Only"

164K views 84 replies 39 participants last post by  Jorgenavy 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced this fault message (also followed by the message "Special Programs Off")?

Since only the yellow caution icon for the truck with the up-and-down and sideways arrows is illuminated, I assume the vehicle is safe to drive until I reach the dealer next week.

I obviously hope it is only a sensor, or other computer glitch, and not something more substantive, but wonder if any of you have gone through this.

'06 RRS
68,167 miles

G
#2 ·
could be the fuse for the compressor, I had the EXACT same problem a while back, after a few days you may be low ridding and bouncing all over the place. If that is the problem....

I think my compressor was also replaced too, I hope your under warranty! :lol:

#4 ·
happened to me once, but i was offroading at the time, heading up a moderate incline. i just turned the motor off/on and it cleared. the LRNA instructor leading the group, said he woulda told me to do the same. i had a scheduled appt a few weeks later and they couldn't find anything more.

#6 ·
Islander, is the error clearing after an ignition recycle? The amber light is often a one-time, trademarked LR gremlin... If the light turns red, you're in trouble.

68K miles. Have you replaced your battery yet? Perhaps it is running out of steam (mine did at 54K miles or so.) If that's the case, expect more random error messages to appear on your info monitor when you start the car. Or it could be the compressor - or a solenoid - although these problems seem to have nearly vanished from this forum ever since earlier production RRSs like yours and mine got their compressors upgraded with that old Service Action Bulletin back in 2006.

#7 ·
RELAX.....
Its just a sensor....
I have had the same problem....I was going around 110mph
from Orlando to Miami on the Florida Turnpike...
the yellow icon came on with the arrows...
I pulled over and checked the manual...it said you could still drive it...
but go to a dealer as soon as possible....
I visited North Dade Miami Land Rover....
they just replaced a sensor at the back rear passenger wheel
I was good to go...
not sure how much it was because I am still under warranty :lol:
but it only took 30 minutes to change...
Good luck

#8 ·
Thank you all.

The fault light does re-set when I start the truck, but soon appears at a random moment, with no apparent cause, and doesn't go off until I restart.

I changed the battery at 50K miles and have had the SAB upgrade mentioned.

Here's hoping that it is just a sensor - I will let you know what the non-warranty cost is after I find out.

#9 ·
I have had the same problem occur on three separate occasions over the past several months. Usually clears up after restarting the engine several times. The restart didn't work once and I had to spend the day running errands with the Mrs. and the little one stuck in crawl mode. Needless to say, it was a BOUNCY ride :shock:

G
#10 ·
Catch22 said:
I have had the same problem occur on three separate occasions over the past several months. Usually clears up after restarting the engine several times. The restart didn't work once and I had to spend the day running errands with the Mrs. and the little one stuck in crawl mode. Needless to say, it was a BOUNCY ride :shock:

same here, was it the fuse or compressor? I blew both on mine. after a week of the restart trick it wa stuck in low rider mode slammed and looking cool. But the ride was like nothing I've ever expienced. Reminded me of the hoopty with no shocks, or is it no springs?

#11 ·
Murdered Out said:
same here, was it the fuse or compressor? I blew both on mine. after a week of the restart trick it wa stuck in low rider mode slammed and looking cool. But the ride was like nothing I've ever expienced. Reminded me of the hoopty with no shocks, or is it no springs?
Not sure MO. I'll know after I take it in for service SEVERAL times. On average it takes my LR dealer 2-3 tries before they get it right.

Funny story though: The first time I had the suspension fault I was again running errands with the Mrs. (common theme here :| ). After driving around the DC metro all day stuck in low rider mode we both were in need of a barf bag. The wife was ready to kill me b/c I was restarting the car whenever the traffic stopped. Must have done it 100 times. When we finally get home just as we pull into the driveway a freakin FIELD MOUSE crawls from under the hood onto the wind shield!!! :shock: True story. Had no problems with the suspension after the mouse ran away. People talk about "gremlins" but maybe the random electrical glitches with the RRS are caused by MICE?!?!

G
#12 ·
that is exactly the problem I had to a "T" i guarntee if you take it in that will be the problem. Eventually its going to stay low and when all the air finally leaves the bags your going to get even lower and more bouncier

#13 ·
Well, as it turns out, I was unlucky; the air hose coupler (an oval plastic piece that is built-into the compressor) unfortunately was "compromised" (broken), ostensibly by "normal stresses over time" (driving the truck?). As a result, air would continuously leak, and the compressor could not keep up with it. A pretty lame design, where the coupler cannot be replaced independent of the compressor.

Cost of the fix: $803 ($693 in parts which was mainly the new compressor, less a return credit for the core); $110 in labour at $95/hr).

I had the same problem with a '95 Range Rover, but I immediately installed to a conventional suspension after the warranty period (about $750 in 1998 as I recall). I had hoped the technology of the system would have improved by now (thank you, Ford).

For those of you who may be considering keeping the truck more than 100,000 miles, and can live without the access level/high level features, you might consider a conventional suspension installation.

Or maybe I will be the only unlucky one...

#14 ·
I see problems like that all the time from salt and corrosion.

Whats really funny is when the customer goes to the tire shop to save money only to have to pay seven hundred bucks and wait a few days after the tire shop lifts the vehicle on the compressor instead of the frame.

of course quite a few customers that dont read their manuals correctly do the same. Thats not so funny, you feel sorry for them especially to those who got stuck at night or some good samaritan did it.

#15 ·
Now I have the "normal ride height only" fault showing randomly. Had it hooked up to the computer and it shows the compressor is good and the compression is also good. WTF? Everything works perfect when the light isn't on... Any solution here? Ideas? I'm out of warranty...

#16 ·
First...I must start off by sayin...this forum is so informative and helpful! 9 times out of 10...someone is going through the same problem/experience.
I just signed on to post this exact same topic. And soon as I open the site...I see this thread!! Amazing.

Anyway...I just received the "Suspension Fault - Normal Height only" message. I was driving on the freeway going about 80mph and the warning came on. Completely freaked me out. I coincidenlty had just left the dealer because I purchased a lisence plate frame. I called from the car and the service rep said to try restarting the car and see if that resets the message. Sure enough the message went away. I made 2 more errand stops before returning on. On the 2nd stop, the warning returned when I started the engine. I called the dealer back and made a service appointment for this Monday morning. I just restarted it about 15 times (Lol). But no warning return yet.

I'm still barely under warranty. (2007 HSE @ 47k miles).

Hopefully my issue is minor and will be fixed with the warranty. The earlier posts have me feeling a little better and confident that this will be the case. But I was completely freaked out before I read this thread.

I'll update on Monday after the dealer looks at it.

#17 ·
I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out... Any one else have an experience or feedback?

#18 ·
b_arra said:
I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out... Any one else have an experience or feedback?

My appointment isn't until tomorrow, but I believe I know what may have triggered the fault. When I left the dealership yesterday, I exited out of the driveway which has a steep decline. I had the car at access height. As I drove out the driveway, I now remember that I heard a warning chime. I didn't see anything else. So I just drove away not thinking about it. Then I got on the freeway and the "suspension fault" warning came on. Maybe the combination of the steep decline and being at access height caused the fault?? Maybe I scraped the bottom?

I tried looking underneath to see. But...I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Not sure if this helps your situation.

#19 ·
pmccr8 said:
b_arra said:

My appointment isn't until tomorrow, but I believe I know what may have triggered the fault. When I left the dealership yesterday, I exited out of the driveway which has a steep decline. I had the car at access height. As I drove out the driveway, I now remember that I heard a warning chime. I didn't see anything else. So I just drove away not thinking about it. Then I got on the freeway and the "suspension fault" warning came on. Maybe the combination of the steep decline and being at access height caused the fault?? Maybe I scraped the bottom?

I tried looking underneath to see. But...I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Not sure if this helps your situation.

pmccr8,

What happened with your appoinment today?

#20 ·
What happened with your appoinment today?[/quote]

The car is still at the dealer. The advisor didn't make it seem like this was a big deal. He just told me it won't be ready until tomorrow.

When I pick it up tomorrow, I'll be sure to get the exact details on what the problem was and what could've caused it. Even though he said it won't cost me anything since it's under warranty, I'll ask if he can tell me what the cost would have been for parts and labor.

#22 ·
b_arra said:
pmccr8,

What happened with your appoinment today?
Just received the call from the dealer.
They had to replace my air compressor. He says the drier had moisture built up in it. So they replaced it.

I'm headed to pick it up shortly. I'll try to get more details and cost information once I get there.

#23 ·
Looks like this is my issue:

Weak Compressor: An official Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) LS-204-004 addresses "ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION (EAS) WARNING MESSAGE AND LAMP ILLUMINATION". This deals with the warning message "Suspension Fault – Normal Height Only" message appearing with the Air Suspension Warning Lamp on. Computer diagnosis shows pressure increasing too slowly or unable to pressurize, with no air leaks. The usual problem is the compressor exhaust valve sticking, causing an internal air leak when the compressor is active. The bulletin recommends renewing the air compressor (RQG500090 is the latest specification air compressor with a stronger exhaust valve return spring)and installing and updating the air suspension control module software using WDS disc 13 or later.

I will be setting up a time to get this repaired with the independent I use... He is awesome. Will let you know the results once replaced and updated...

#24 ·
b_arra said:
Looks like this is my issue:

Weak Compressor: An official Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) LS-204-004 addresses "ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION (EAS) WARNING MESSAGE AND LAMP ILLUMINATION". This deals with the warning message "Suspension Fault – Normal Height Only" message appearing with the Air Suspension Warning Lamp on. Computer diagnosis shows pressure increasing too slowly or unable to pressurize, with no air leaks. The usual problem is the compressor exhaust valve sticking, causing an internal air leak when the compressor is active. The bulletin recommends renewing the air compressor (RQG500090 is the latest specification air compressor with a stronger exhaust valve return spring)and installing and updating the air suspension control module software using WDS disc 13 or later.

I will be setting up a time to get this repaired with the independent I use... He is awesome. Will let you know the results once replaced and updated...
That's pretty much what my invoice states:

47425 FAILED EAS COMPRESSOR 1.50. VERIFIED CONCERN. HOOKED UP TESTBOOK AND CHECKED FOR FAULTS, FOUND FAULT CODE C1A20 PRESSURE INCREASES TOO SLOW WHEN FILLING RESEVOIR. ACCESSED THE EAS COMPRESSOR AND INSPECTED THE EAS COMPRESSOR CONNECTORS AND COMPRESSOR FOR DAMAGE, NOTED OK. INSPECTED CONNECTOR TERMINALS, NOTED OK. ACCESSED GTR AND REFERENCED LTB00269 FOR DIAG AND REPAIR. REPLACED THE COMPRESSOR DRYER AND DELIVERY VALVE AND PERFORMED RIDE LEVEL CONTROL MODULE UPDATED CONFIGURATION AS PER LTB00269. REINSTALLED COMPRESSOR AND RETESTED, NOTED COMPRESSOR FAILED INSTANTLY AND RESET FAULT C1A20. CHECKED POWER AND GROUND AND SIGNAL TO THE EAS COMPRESSOR, NOTED OK. DIAGNOSED FAIL EAS COMPRESSOR ASSEMBLY. SUBMITTED FRED. FRED APPROVED. REPLACED FAILED EAS COMPRESSOR ASSEMBLY. CLEARED FAULT AND RETESTED, PASSED. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND RETESTED, PASSED. COMPLETED.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any detailed cost info. My advisor was out to lunch and I had to get back to the office.

Hope everything works out good for you!

#25 ·
Hi, I have a 2008 model Sport S/C with the same problem. This being after a few minutes, a yellow suspension warning light illuminates and a message of "suspension fault, normal height only"
The RQG500090 modification is for cars up to 2006 model only. Does anyone now what the cure is for this later model? thanks,

#26 ·
I must say this site is very helpful, thanks to Google and you guys, l'm freakin' out all week l have a 2006 RRS 79,000 obviously out of Factory warranty. Same alert "Suspension Fault, Normal Height Only" Was using the turn the mortar off and on trick for a couple weeks now its stuck on low riding, bouncing up and down zero shock absorbed, at the dealer now mentioned if they could change the fuse, they said they could but it can't be only the fuse, l should get it checked for $125.00 then they will tell me what's going on, supposed to be heading to N.Y.C in a couple hours for my birthday which is tomorrow (April 14th) what a terrible birthday present freaking out at the dealer currently..wish me luck my former Range Rover Enthusiasts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.