S/C - engine fault
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S/C - engine fault

FRESHMAN ROVER

S/C - engine fault

over Easter my S/C sport started showing engine fault warning and would only go 70 with the pedal to the floor at 6,000 RPMs. I was barely able to make it to the next town, because I was getting 3 mpgs. Around town the truck had no problem but as soon as I get it on the highway for an hour or more this happens.

Anyone had this problem or know of anyone that has?
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Supercharged HSE

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

I don't own a Supercharged so I cannot be of much help I'm afraid, but my first guess would be a bad MAF sensor, of course. There is also a S/C specific TSB that may be related, it affects MY06 and some 07s:

NASF TSB #LTB00041, Rev 2

Reduced Power Under Load
    Possible DTC P0096 and/or P2601 Stored
    AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
    Range Rover (LM) Supercharged 6A198058 to 7A261419
    Range Rover Sport (LS) Supercharged 6A901924 to 7A109767
    CONDITION SUMMARY:
    REDUCED POWER OR MISFIRE AT HIGH ENGINE LOADS
    Situation: The customer may complain of reduced power and or a misfire at high engine loads and road speeds, with the possibility of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0096 and/or P2601 stored. The electrical harness power supply and ground for the auxiliary coolant pump may be cross connected in connector C3006. The pump will run backwards causing the Engine Control Module (ECM) to reduce power to prevent damage because the pump flow is low. The auxiliary coolant pump will be degraded under these conditions.
    Action: Should a customer express concern, modify the wiring at connector C3006 to the correct positions:
    RR Sport Range Rover
    Cavity 1 connected to "-" pump connection Black (B) Brown (N)
    Cavity 2 connected to "+" pump connection Brown / Purple (NP) Red / White (RW)
    Install a new supercharger coolant pump as part of the repair if either the fault codes or the incorrect wiring is discovered following the Repair Procedure outlined below.
    FWIW, I experienced an Engine Fault once before on my 06 HSE. I was doing some spirited mountain road driving on my way from home to Big Bear here on the local mountains. Suddenly, right in the middle of nowhere the engine fault light came on and the car slowed down to a crawl and kicked down to 2nd or 3rd gear, no matter how hard I would punch the gas pedal. I pulled over to the side of the road and killed the engine (sweating profusely since there was no cellular phone signal there), waited a couple of minutes and restarted the car. The problem was gone. I always assumed that the relatively quick change in air pressure / altitude had temporarily tricked the MAF sensor into thinking there was a problem with the air intake. I never experienced a similar issue since.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: S/C - engine fault

I actually wrote a blog post on this, which you can read here:

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2010 ... -stop.html

It seems like some number of these vehicles left the factory with the wrong engine software. Then, when a dealer does a routine service update and the correct software is fitted, this problem appears. Curious . . .

The fix: Correct engine management software, a new aux coolant pump, and reversed wiring.

Right now, this is customer pay work. But I wonder if there will be a recall. It's hard explaining why a customer should buy a $200 pump and a few hours of labor to fix a production problem. There's not much way to turn backwards wiring into a maintenance issue.

Can anyone point me to the approximate location of this wiring harness connection and/or the pump location so I can rewire myself? LR has refused to fix this factory defect out of warranty.

TIA

Replacing the pump is pretty straight forward but does anyone have instructions on how to do the rewire?

You may need a "Terminal extraction tool" as indicated in the TSB (someone who actually did the rewire may chime in with his/her direct experience... Just going by what the TSB states.) You can find actual copy of the TSB here, it explains the rewiring procedure more clearly than the pasted text above: https://app.box.com/rrs/1/651822509/6145231159/1

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

I currently have this problem on my 2008 RRS S/C. My independent mechanic read this thread, and we will start with updating the computer software and then changing the water pump. I will report back on progress. My mechanic says the computer should still be under warranty for 8 years.

I've had problems with the RRS stalling after the first start in the morning (even though it is not very cold in L.A.) and stalling after the first few blocks when I have to brake for a stop sign. I left the car and the Land Rover dealer (Pasadena, CA) for several days, but they could not find any problems.