Front end clunking
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Front end clunking

FRESHMAN ROVER

Front end clunking

Well, after a whopping 5 months without any problems, I was disappointed that I am not one of those people who posted here about having "zero problems in years" with their LR.

There is a muffled clunking sound coming from the front end while driving over road imprerfections (mahnole covers, rough pavement joints, etc). The same clunking sound can be heard while sharply turning the steering wheel from side to side at ANY speed. However, there is no noise if the vehicle is standing and the steering wheel is turned.

Does anyone kow what is the likely reason? I am about to make service appt and dont want the dealer to feed me a bunch of BS. I also want to try to understand the urgency of this as it would be a huge pain to bring the car for service in the next 2 weeks due to my crazy schedule.

Eugene
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    i get the same clunking feeling/clicking sound. feels like somethings loose - you can feel it in the deadpedal and in the steering, even though the suspension feels settled.

dealer said they didn't notice anything.

JUNIOR ROVER
    I have the same thing and the dealer noted "unable to replicate" even though as I am pulling out of the dealer I can hear it. It sounds like its coming from the driverside and sounds like a muted thud almost like a loose shock, strut or bad bushings. I had the "itermediate steering shaft" replaced a while back but the noise never went away so that wasnt the problem.
    2006 RRS HSE-Zermatt "Ellie"

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I have the same problem in my 06. I took it in to the dealer, and they changed out the ball joints. It made an improvement in the steering, but the noise (clunking over bumps). I think I will try and find where it is coming from so I can let the dealer know.
    I have no idea why they can't hear the problem with a test drive. Strange.
    06 RRS HSE
    99 SLK230 Kompressor
    04 Honda RC51 Nicky Hayden
    72 Land Rover 101FC

JUNIOR ROVER
    They also changed my entire steering rack, that stopped the dreaded wheel shimmy but not the noise.

is the wheel scarpping any where? its probably not that, but the iner wheel well could have popped off somewhere and causes it to rub the tire when you turn...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Wieghts for balancing

I might be dreaming, but didn't someone say that there are wights to balance the front and the back? I assumed this was the case. I have heard this on mine easpecially when it is abnormal movement of the car, easpecially if I produce a jerking mvt. Anyway just my $ 0.02.
    1985 Audi 4000s Quattro
    1991 BMW 325ix
    1992 BMW 325is (Bye)
    2001 LR Discovery II
    2005 BMW 325i
    2005 MB C240 4Matic (Bye)
    2007 RRS Arctic Frost

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I just drove my friend to my local dealer so he can have his RRS S/C looked at for this problem. They had a technician ride with him and he admited that this is a problem with the S/C models, apparently the suspension is different on the S/C which has a sort of bar that levels the vehicle when turning sharp corners. the sound comes from that bar...hope that helps, he referred to some sort of stabilizing bar.

Some people here don't have Dynamic Response, though... And still hear the clunk.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    same problem. dealer claims they cant replicate it, which means Land Rover has decided its not worth doing a recall. Pretty lame actually. This is my 4th Range Rover, and it might make me move to another brand. I live in the city, and the car sounds like total ass going over bumps. Unfortunately, I think the ford ownership is starting to show through. Service at land rover has gone to shiat.
    08 Range Rover Sport
    01 Porsche Turbo

TSB: LS204-011

Dynamic Response / Ride and Handling Optimization System Noise

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
    Range Rover Sport (LS) All vehicles equipped with Dynamic Response system

CONDITION SUMMARY:
    'THUD' FELT OR 'PULSE'/'CLICKING' NOISE HEARD FROM UNDER THE VEHICLE
    Situation: A customer may report a concern of an under-car 'thud' from the front or rear suspension, or an under-car 'pulse'/'clicking' noise from the dynamic response valve block or hydraulic tubing. In some cases, the noise may be described as similar to 'water hammer', the noise experienced in a domestic water system when a faucet is turned off quickly.

NOTE: Changing any of the dynamic response system components will not eliminate the noise. Visual inspection for problems and torque checks must be completed.
    The described noise is a characteristic of the dynamic response system and is generated when there is a sudden change in oil flow in the hydraulic circuit. This is a result of a direction control valve switching in response to driving inputs. The change in flow will be accompanied by a pressure pulse, which will be transmitted through the hydraulic and mechanical
    components associated with the system. The duration and amplitude of the pulse make it audible.
    There are components in the Dynamic Response and associated systems that can influence the level of the noise.
    Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to check the associated systems.

PARTS:
    No parts are required for this bulletin. Information purposes only.

WARRANTY:
    No warranty provided for this bulletin. Information purposes only.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
    CHECKING FOR PROBLEMS CAUSING DYNAMIC RESPONSE SYSTEM NOISE
    NOTE: The noise will not be eliminated by replacing Dynamic Response system components. The visual inspection and torque checks detailed below must be completed.
    NOTE: It may not be possible to achieve the same noise level on all vehicles. The amplitude of the noise will vary from vehicle to vehicle due to natural variability, ambient and system temperature, component tolerances and dynamic response system hydraulic characteristics.
    NOTE: Following inspections below, if no problems are found, it is likely that there is no fault with the system and the noise generated is simply the characteristic of the system. The customer may be informed of the noise characteristics generated by a hydraulic system pressure pulse.
    1. Ensure that all Dynamic Response system connections are secure and problem free.
    2. Check other vehicle components for any of the following conditions that could exaggerate the noise:
    Steering linkage integrity and securing torque.
    Stabilizer bar linkage integrity and securing torque.
    Stabilizer bar linkage damage or contact to other components.
    Stabilizer bar bushing and bushing clamp integrity and securing torque.
    3. Check the Dynamic Response system components for any of the following conditions:
    Pipe work damage or potential contact with the body or chassis.
    Pipe work mounting clamp integrity and isolation.
    Hydraulic valve block damage or potential contact with the chassis.

TSB: LTB00029

Ride and Handling Optimization System Shudder

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
    Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 to 6A996253
    (Vehicles equipped with Dynamic Response system)

CONDITION SUMMARY:
    'SHUDDER' FELT OR RAPID 'PULSING' NOISE HEARD FROM UNDER THE VEHICLE
    Situation: A customer may report a concern of an under-car 'shudder' from the front or rear suspension, or an under-car rapid 'pulsing' noise heard from the dynamic response valve block or hydraulic tubing. The shudder may continue as long as the driving conditions that created the shudder remain constant, or the shudder may subside, typically in less than five seconds.
    Certain driving situations that are most commonly known to cause the concern are as follows:
    From single wheel inputs as follows:
    o When speed bumps are traversed at an angle
    o Over small step changes in a road surface, such as driveway entrances, broken road surfaces etc.
    From specific road design and vehicle driving styles as follows:
    o When the vehicle is cornering at a speed between 6 mph (10 kph) to 19 mph (30 kph)
    o Where the road has a significant camber
    o When the steering wheel angle is greater than +/-10 degrees
    o When the steering wheel angle is held constant for approximately 2 seconds during the turn where the road surface is not perfectly smooth.
    The Dynamic Response system control software performs an inaccurate estimation of the road surface conditions, resulting in overcompensation for what it perceives as very small changes in vehicle direction. This overcompensation causes fluctuations in the control pressure delivered to the stabilizer bar actuators producing the shudder.
    Action: Should a customer report a concern regarding the above, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the Dynamic Response system control module software.

PARTS:
    No parts are required for this bulletin. Information purposes only.

TOOLS:
    IDS DVD 103 with Patch File 1 or later software installed

Posted this one already on another thread, added picture and repair procedure. Not that it will help any, but you never know...

TSB: LTB00097

Steering Column Knock Repair Procedure

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
    LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A000360 - 7A444606 Model Year: 2005-2007
    Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN 6A900290 7A999999
    7A100000 7A122778 Model Year: 2006 - 2007

CONDITION SUMMARY: MINOR 'KNOCKING' NOISE FROM THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
    Situation: A customer may report a concern of a minor 'knocking' noise coming from the front of the vehicle or a steering system component while driving over small bumps or undulating road surfaces. A low resistance in the sliding mechanism of the lower steering shaft may be the cause of the noise.
    Action: Should a customer express a concern related to the above condition, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to diagnose and resolve the concern.

PARTS:
    QLB500070 .............Upper Intermediate shaft Qty 1 (as required)
    QMN500250.............Lower Intermediate shaft Qty 1 (as required)
    QYG10016L.............Bolt (upper I-shaft to lower I-shaft) Qty 1 (as required)
    QYG000030.............Bolt (lower I-shaft to steering gear) Qty 1 (as required)

REPAIR PROCEDURE
    INSPECT AND REPAIR STEERING SHAFT ASSEMBLY
    NOTE: All inspection and repair procedures must be completed before determining if an intermediate shaft should be replaced. Component references may be found in Figure 1.
    1. Inspect the upper and lower intermediate shaft assembly as follows:
    Inspect the upper intermediate shaft 'decoupler' assembly for excessive movement. (Arrowed in Figure 1 inset)
    Inspect the upper intermediate shaft decoupler assembly and ensure the steel and rubber washers are correctly located. (Inset in Figure 1)
    Verify that the fasteners joining the steering column universal joint to the upper intermediate shaft are tightened to 30 Nm (22 lbf-ft). (2 in Figure 1)
    Inspect the joint between the upper intermediate shaft and lower intermediate shaft for any movement. (3 in Figure 1)
    Inspect the joint between the lower intermediate shaft universal joint and steering gear for any movement. (4 in Figure 1)
    Inspect the sliding mechanism of the lower intermediate shaft for any lateral 'play' or looseness. (5 in Figure 1)
    2. If movement is discovered as quantified below, repair in sequence and as instructed:
    If excessive movement exists in the upper intermediate shaft 'decoupler' assembly, replace the upper intermediate shaft (QLB500070).
    If any of the decoupler assembly washers is incorrectly located, replace the upper intermediate shaft (QLB500070).
    If any movement exists in the connection between the upper intermediate shaft and lower intermediate shaft, replace the retaining bolt (QYG10016L) and tighten to 30 Nm (22 lbf-ft). (3 in Figure 1)
    If any movement exists in the connection between the lower intermediate shaft universal joint and steering gear, replace the retaining bolt (QYG000030) and tighten to 30 Nm (22 lbf-ft). (4 in Figure 1)
    If any lateral 'play' or looseness exists in the sliding mechanism of the lower intermediate shaft, replace the lower intermediate shaft (QMN500250).
    3. After replacing any components, ensure the integrity of the steering shaft assembly and fasteners.

Figure 1:

FRESHMAN ROVER
    thanks for that umbertob....going to show that to my service guy at my 15k appointment.
    08 Range Rover Sport
    01 Porsche Turbo

JUNIOR ROVER
    I had the intermdiate shaft replaced and it did not help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 ... LastLast