Front end clunking - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Front end clunking

JUNIOR ROVER
    Got my truck back today and youll never guess................"Unable to replicate", I give up! Not only that but I drop it off at 9am on tuesday and I have to call tuesday night 5:30 pm b/c I dont hear from anybody the entire day. And the S/A says, Oh you got here to late they didnt look at it yet" so I say I was there at 9 am what do you mean late? Her responce is Oh they still had truck work orders from Monday to take care of they will look at your truck first thing in the AM. AM comes....afternoon comes...5:00 pm comes so I call. S/A says "ummm tech couldnt find any problem so the Service manager wants to drive it home for the night and see if he can hear the noise you are talking about, 30 mile round trip is that ok?" HAHAHA Ummmmm no its not Ill be there in an hour to pick up my truck, thanks for the half ass effort and keeping me informed on what was going on. Is this common practice for the service manager to take a vehicle home? I have a feeling if I didnt call they would of did it anyway. So frustrating. But **** still love the RRS!
    2006 RRS HSE-Zermatt "Ellie"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Prayn4Sno
    Got my truck back today and youll never guess................"Unable to replicate", I give up! Not only that but I drop it off at 9am on tuesday and I have to call tuesday night 5:30 pm b/c I dont hear from anybody the entire day. And the S/A says, Oh you got here to late they didnt look at it yet" so I say I was there at 9 am what do you mean late? Her responce is Oh they still had truck work orders from Monday to take care of they will look at your truck first thing in the AM. AM comes....afternoon comes...5:00 pm comes so I call. S/A says "ummm tech couldnt find any problem so the Service manager wants to drive it home for the night and see if he can hear the noise you are talking about, 30 mile round trip is that ok?" HAHAHA Ummmmm no its not Ill be there in an hour to pick up my truck, thanks for the half ass effort and keeping me informed on what was going on. Is this common practice for the service manager to take a vehicle home? I have a feeling if I didnt call they would of did it anyway. So frustrating. But **** still love the RRS!
    Unable to replicate is such a standard answer from dealers and it pisses me off to think that these are the "experts". I finally heard that response too many times so here's my suggestions: Tell them that you want to take a service manager or tech on a road test - you drive and you replicate the noise for them to hear. They have no idea what to listen for. Once they confirm a noise, they can hook up suspension ears to isolate and fix it.

As far as a manager taking the car home, LR hasn't asked me to do so but MB and BMW have. The service manager usually called me to get an ok and will fax their insurance info if you want.
    nYc

2006 Range Rover Sport S/C - RIP via N.J.S.A. 56:12-29 to 56:12-49 aka NJ Lemon Law

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Did you print out those service bulletins from earlier in the post? I brought those with me, and suddenly they had heard of this problem before. I did overhear the main service guy saying that a lot of early RRS had issues with the sway bar. That seemed to have done the trick on mine.
    08 Range Rover Sport
    01 Porsche Turbo

JUNIOR ROVER
    Yes I brought the TSB with me and gave him a copy. Either I am out of my "golly gee wiz ect ect ect mind" and its not loud enough for them and its not really the same issue or they are just "golly gee wiz" retarted.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I'm having a similar problem in my HSE when travelling slowly over certain bumps. When I took it in for service they claimed it was rocks behind the skid plate. The noise is still there. This coupled with my rear hatch problems is getting to be annoying.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I was having the steering squeak problem, and they made it go away for about 48 hours with a little lube, after the last time I mentioned it. But it came back. So I gave them the TSB numbers on the problem (thanks Umberto!) and suddenly they knew about this problem too. They've ordered the parts and will be replacing the whole thing next week.

Having the TSB numbers definitley seems to do the trick. I've asked the service guys if they ever read this forum, and they always act like they've never heard of it before. They should. They could learn a lot.

JUNIOR ROVER
    HAHAHAHAHA LMFAO, "rocks behind the skid plates", I think its the rocks in their heads is more like it!! Sorry to say at least Im not the only one. That is just amazing, to funny.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Guys,

Looks like I forgot to post what happened to my noise issue. I brought the car to the dealer expecting typical BS like "cannot replicate", etc. To my shock and amazement, the service advisor called at approx. 3PM (I dropped the car off at 8AM) and told me that they found the problem ad fixed it. I got the car back the same day.

Here is exactly what is written on my service receipt:

J#1 FRONT SUSPENSION

CUSTOMER STATES CHECK CLUNK IN FRT END WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS

FRONT SWAY BAR BUSHINGS CAUSING NOISE WHILE TRAVELING OVER BUMPS, ALSO CAUSING SIDE TO SIDE NOISE (SEE LINE 2)

ROAD TESTED VEHICLE TO ISOLATE NOISE. FOUND FRONT SWAY BAR BUSHINGS CAUSING NOISE. R AND R FRONT SWAY BAR BUSHINGS

J#2 STEERING

CUSTOMER STATES WHEN CAR IS COLD WHEN DRIVING AND MOVING STEERING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT THERE IS A CLUNK IN STEERING

NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME

FOUND NO NOISE WHILE STEERING SIDE TO SIDE. POSSIBLE NOISE COMING FROM SWAY BAR (SEE LINE 1)

It has been almost a month and so far the noise has not come back, so it looks like the sway bar bushings were in fact the problem in my case.
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I feel your pain... I sent in my Lemon Law Papers today. I had the Regional Rep come to Seattle Land Rover and blow me off saying it was just a standerd noise with this vehicle. I won't take my family in my range anymore because of this problem and even bought a subaru of all things to transport my niece. COMPLETE B.S. Spend seventy thousand dollars and get this type of "o well we don't know,,,, o that is what you were talking about,,,, o well we can't fix it,,,o sorry go away attitude. Sorry no thanks. BMX X-6 time? Sorry for not posting for awile, how are you doing umberto?
    otoppero
    99 Range 4.6
    06 Range Sport SC, Java, Big Lemon-gone
    99 Range 4.6-sold
    97 Disco I- sold
    00 Disco II-sold

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Can someone help me diagnose my front clunk so when I take my car back into the dealer i can pinpoint the sounds. I think it has something to do with the suspension/steering settling when the car has been sitting for a while. Usually when I start driving the car down my street which is very bumpy I can hear the clunking sounds in the front. It sounds as though the air suspension is just bouncing up and down loose on its upper mount. However after getting up to speed and then slowing back down the clunking usually goes away. I'm getting very sick of this and as of recently it has seemed to get more pronounced. I called land rover north america and they lady was an idiot, telling me well take it back to the dealer. Otoppero what have you done with regards to the lemon law, I'm ready to tell them F.U. and get my money back/or a new car? I will take it back in one more time in an attempt to get the suspension to clunk when they have it but it always seems to go away when I try to reenact it. I have a regular HSE without Dynamic Response.

PM me your email address, I have a couple of TSBs about steering knocks / front suspensions clunks you may want to bring with you at the dealer.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    ****, you guys in Cali really seem to have a lot of difficulty with your dealerships.

I had the clunking which began sometime around 15000 miiles. I told my dealership in Albuquerque and they fixed it right away. They said there is a bushing upgrade and they fixed it no problem. They also sent my wife home with a care package for us, T-shirts, little model RRS, 2 boxes of chocolate w/c by the way may be some of the best chocolate I've tasted, and a copy of LRL magazine. I have no complaints of my dealership.
    1997 Defender 90 Coniston Green
    2006 RRS/SC Java Black LUX pkg

Maybe you just have a very hot wife. That still wouldn't work here in silicone valley (Southern California.)

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Maybe you just have a very hot wife. That still wouldn't work here in silicone valley (Southern California.)

She is for sure. And I am not being biased.

But your right about it not working there in SoCal.
    1997 Defender 90 Coniston Green
    2006 RRS/SC Java Black LUX pkg

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Welcome to my world. I have been experiencing the same problem for year now. You need to make an appointment to take the car in. Don't let them tell you it's supposed to make that noise. Read my last post. "Softwar update." LR is having problems with suspension noises caused by the Dynamic Response system. To make a long story short and spare the rest who already no my delima's, your dealer may want to try and change out a bunch of parts, too many to list, and this may fix the noise for a while, but it will come back. After a year of jumping through hoops, and then telling me there is no fix for the car, I got a call from LR last week. There is a fix for the noise, it's a software update which just came out within the last month. I'm taking my car in on the 26th to get the update. I will let you know what the outcome is. If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

DeDe
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...hyfor6/RRS.jpg

DeDe

2010 S/C Range Rover Sport
    Previous Car 2007 S/C RRS