Range Rovers Forum banner

Clunking noise rear Diff/ Suspension

15K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alpaca 
#1 ·
Hi Team i have seen plenty on this topic but have not seen any outcomes to this. I have a Range Rover Sport 08 TDV8

The problem that i'm experiencing is that is whilst the vehicle is under way and the throttle is backed off for whatever reason and you re-apply throttle a dull clunck/thud one time occuring is very noticable. This is also present on cornering under acceleration. I don't believe its diff mechanical issues as it is not a contant noise. It is a noise of the drive line reacting to to the torque applied whilst accelerating again.

I have replaced front and rear control arm bushes.
I have had transmission software updated as i thought transmission may be shifting a bit harsh. Still noise is present and may be even more noticable since software update.

I have noticed that there is a front bush pressed into diff housing that was going to be the next line of attack.
Has anyone experienced this bush to be a failure mode?

Thanks you for you time happy to hear from anyone out there with their repairs or comments to this issue.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for your repy.
I have not checked diff oil as yet. I will and also inspect the MAG plug. The Car has 84,000 odd Km's.

After inspecting the sway bar i have found the dynamic responce actuator is leaking at the piston end and seems to be comming out of the seal where the l/h syay bar goes into the actuator.
If the actuator is faulty will that give a clunk?
The sway bar bushes do not have excessive clearance when suspension is unloaded or loaded but for the price of them they are probably due change out.

#4 ·
Code:
Yep - sounds like you need to get the actuator taken care of and switch bushings "while u r in there"

Diff services is 75k miles - but I'd do sooner - given cost of replacement diff - cannot hurt - just make sure you use the right fluid ... Dealer only for locking diff - castrol ok for regular diff -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.