HSE vs. Supercharged - Decision Guide
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HSE vs. Supercharged - Decision Guide

FRESHMAN ROVER

HSE vs. Supercharged - Decision Guide

The base price for the HSE is 56K and the base price for the Supercharged is 69K. That is 13K extra. But it is not 13K for just a faster vehicle and more powerful engine and better handling due to Dynamic Response System which is not yet available on HSE. Here is the math (maybe I should say 'fuzzy' math because it is somewhat subjective):

Start with the base HSE @ 56K, but here is what you would have to add to get to the options of the Supercharged (assuming you wanted any of them):

-20 inch wheels +4K
    -HSE Lux Package (Adaptive Lighting, Cherry Trim, Cold Climate, Premium Leather) +3K
    -Dynamic Resposne Package +2K estimated* (no pricing yet)
    -Dual Exhaust for Sportier look at the back (after market)

So what does that add up to in options 4K + 3K + 2K = 9K.

So 13K - 9K = 4K. In the end, that is roughly what the Supercharged engine is costing you, which for an extra 90 horsepower and the performance that goes with it is not bad depending on how you look at it.

Now if you really don't need the supercharged, then don't get it. Just wanted to demonstrate what the 13K difference really gets you.

Hope that helps a little. I agree that some of the prices are a little silly, example 4K to upgrade the wheels/tires, should be more like 1K-2K realistically.

That was my rationale for getting the Supercharged plus I found the performance significantly better and I wanted the Cold Climate Package and the 20 inch wheels (actually wish they were 22's, ideally 305/35R22) . Plus my budget was not to go over 70K and the Supercharged with PTI and Diff. Lock put me right at 70K.

In the end, the Supercharged feels like the better value for me personally. Enjoy!

P.S., can you tell that I am a 'consultant' -
    Range Rover Sport - Java Black - Ebony Leather - PTI - 9/15/05!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    What is the difference in gas mileage between the HSE and SC? What about the relative costs of maintenance and repair of the higher-performing engine? The higher "cost" of owning the SC doesn't stop with the purchase price.

Also, in that same vein, which vehicle will depreciate faster? Will the SC or HSE have higher resale value relative to the purchase price?

Don't you have to "budget" what you actually have to pay? Did you stay within your $70K budget only by ignoring taxes? What was the total out-the-door cost for the SC?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Good questions.

Gas Mileage - No difference which is expected. Just like there is no difference among BMW X5 models and MB ML models. If you are concerned about that you should be looking elsewhere for a vehicle anyway. 14-18 for both models. In some cases the bigger engine models of specific vechicles get better mileage for obvious reasons, e.g. BMW X5 3.0i gets 1 mpg LESS than BMW x5 4.4i (economies of scale at work here).

Maintenance & Repair - Spend a few min. with a Jag mechanic and they can fill you in. Supercharger and DSC are only mechanical differences with the vehicle. Supercharger proven technology been around with Jag for years. Marginal difference in this category at best. Again, if this is a concern then you shouldn't even be looking at RR.

Resale - RR's have historically done well and have pretty high lease residuals. Only time will tell how this vehicle will do. Go to Kelly Blue Book and do some historical comparisons on resale values of MB's and BMW's Savs comparing between the different models e.g. 3.0i vs. 4.4i and I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I do not plan to resell so that is not a concern for me. Would like to keep this baby until she is a relic.

Cost - My total out of pocket cost was $70,650 to be exact - RRSC. That is delivered to my home, but delivery is free anyway. That includes taxes so I'm not sure I understand your question. My threshold was not limited by pocket book but by my psyche, could not fathom spending more than that on a vehicle.

You didn't mention insurance. That is probably the only real tangible expected difference. For me it was idential, $129.43 a month. I've been driving for 22 years, am 38, married, and have a clean driving record and have been with same insurance company for a long time. For others there may be a difference, there usually is depending on your circumstances.

So for me, the total cost of ownership is the same between the two (roughly speaking) outside of the initial outlay.

If you are worried about these things then you should probably look elsewhere for a vehicle. You may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hope that helps. That was an excellent question.

One last point, in my humble opinion people buying $70K plus Luxury SUV's are for the most part not terribly concerned with these things. The ones that are are buying Lexus RX 330's or something a little more downscale or a domestice SAV/SUV. Ones who do their homework know what they are getting into. They are buying the vehicle for Status, Style, & Utility (probably in that order). I would hazard a guess to say that 80% of the buyers will never see more than a gravel road with the vehicle much less a mountain pass that would send goats running the other way - - they are not buying for that (admittedly me included). It is a prime example of consumer excess to be quite honest - they get it because they can afford it, they like it, and they want it, (though I'm sure there are probably a few who can't and may be sorry later). The car I have now is perfectly fine and I will probably just park it in Florida so I have it when I go home there, but this car is a better car for me in Virginia (no jokes now).

Best of luck and happy trails. Hope you see you on the road one day!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    All good answers.

I'm surprised to hear that the SC and HSE would have the same gas mileage. But it may be so, since the HSE would have to work harder.

On the other hand, I know for sure that a straight-six Jeep Cherokee got a lot better mileage than the V8. (But here, we're not comparing a normally aspirated engine with an SC.)

In Orange County, California, the sales tax on the sales price is an additional 7.75%. In LA County, I believe the sales tax is even higher.

Anyway, the HSE has plenty of pickup for me. I'm not going to be off-roading much, or towing anything, so I'm going to save a bit and get the HSE with the Lux package. (I wish I could get the Dynamic Response, but it's not avaible on the HSE.)

I don't even want to test drive an SC. I'd rather not know what I am missing.

FRESHMAN ROVER

what should I do

Hello fellow Rover buffs...I am switching form my 2003 disco to a rr sport. The dealer called me and said my silver is in but he has a black on black turbo coming. I am torn. I added on my Zambezi Silver, Dvd, blue tooth phone, and adaptive headlights. I also added a luggage carrier, skid plates, rr super charged grille, and vents..My price is probably pushing 66k..so I am torn if I get the supercharged...I would still have to add the items I mentioned plus towing and electrical....what should I do??
    Michael

2006 silver hse sport
    2003 BMW 545

FRESHMAN ROVER

85K for SC gulf spec.

Hello everybody
    I really get surprised about the figure you just mention 70K US dollar for the top of the range supercharged model
    Last week I passed by my local dealer to fixed an appointment for test drive RRS and I asked about the prices
    The answer was: for a time being we having only 2006 supercharged models by order fully loaded without rear diff lock which I was interested to have it, 20 stormer wheels, Adaptive Lighting, Dynamic Response Package, with out real DVD system
    The total price is 80K
    So 10K more what you get ..can any one advise me to wait till next year that the dealers will got full badge HSE, SC and I hope the price will be dropped down. Now it is available here in Dubai as a special order with high prices what do you think Im I right?
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Buckingham Blue, Ivory converted to HST silver

FRESHMAN ROVER

Decisions...

Hey sportman. I don't know what they are doing in Dubai, but that is interesting. The MSRP for the Supercharged model in the U.S. is just above 69K. So 80K sounds like a lot to me, but then again you are in a different country. The SC comes with DRS, so don't know why that would be an option...but maybe the vehicles are configured differently over there. In the U.S. we basically have 3 models, HSE, SC, and SC Special Edition. I know in the U.K., they have 7 models including the various Diesel configurations. So, I guess I'm saying I don't know if you should wait or not...different market and I am not vaguely familiar with it.

Hey skyking - if you are pushing 66K on an HSE and you are in the U.S. then you are only a few thousand away from a SuperCharged. You are right you would still have to add all those options, except for the Supercharged grill and vents and the adaptive lighting which are standard on the Supercharged. Do you really need the Adaptive Cruise Control? Pricey option, but if you need it, you need it. Just about every car I've had has some form of cruise control, but I never use it...just feel uncomfortable with it. I like to drive I guess + I don't do many long tours.

Given that you are adding a lot to your HSE to make it much like an SC, sounds like you really want the SC? Just my hunch...only you know. But it sounds to me like you are not far from an SC in terms of price now.

Listen, good luck. Whatever your choice, it will be the right one for you and that is all that matters.

Cheers.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Topher-

The sport is silver and the supercharged is black ...i really would prefer the supercharged in silver...what are you going to do?? Please help me make a decision...I get the car on the 19th either way...I guess I need to see the price with the options I mentioned on the charger. I do not think that I have adaptive cruise..I was referring to the headlights...also what do you think of the luggage carrier...I looked on that site where you can add options and see what they look like..it looks pretty cool...also how about the step bars my sales guy was trying to steer me away from them..do they come on the sc?? thank you for all your help by the way..this is pretty cool..I am stoked about the car...I actually am moving to northern CA, you are in southern ca??
    Michael

2006 silver hse sport
    2003 BMW 545

FRESHMAN ROVER

SC vs. HSE

Hey skyking.

Sorry, misunderstood a little.

Sport in Silver vs. Supercharged in Black. O.K.

Luggage carrier looks cool, so does the sport carrier. God, anything would look cool on that vehicle.

I love the look of the runningboards, actually think they finish off the bottom of that vehicle. They are not terribly functional but very stylish. With the low setting of the suspension it is easy to get in and out of the vehicle anyway (though I am 6'2"). Don't know why the are steering you away. Maybe the sales guy gets 0 for options...who knows.

I am actually in Virginia (just outside D.C.). Moved here in the last year for work.

Anyway I love both colors. My acquisition option for 9/15 says that I want the black on black as first choice and the silver on black as second, Supercharger only though. I love both colors and am still a little undecided. Whichever one they get first I have right of refusal, so we'll see. Silver easier to keep clean and doesn't show marks as easily, but black so very classy and subdued. I sat outside Starbucks this morning sucking back a Latte as all these nice cars and SUV's pulled up in front and imagined what a Black or Silver RRSC pulling up would look like. I think they would look equally nice, but I think the black had the slight edge in my mind. Anyway that is daydreaming for now. If I could buy two I would buy the SC in both colors.

For me, personally, in your situation, the SC would be the tiebreaker because to me, the difference between the HSE and SC was very significant. You should drive both if you haven't to see for yourself. You may not notice. But for the money I think it is the better value, bigger wheels, more options, engine performance etc... Plus if I am going to spend that much cash on a vehicle I don't want to feel like I shortchanged myself in any way. But hey, that is strictly my opinion and many would disagree. Plus I love the whine of the Supercharger...can't get enough - you need to drive both if you haven't.

Imagine this (even though it is a little vain), you pull up in front of Starbucks in your HSE and a SC pulls up right behind you. People gather around to look at your vehicles. Ooohhhss and Awwwsss. Then someone asks you both "what engine have you got in there". You say 300 bhp 4.4l. They say wow. The SC guys says 4.2l Supercharged 400 bhp(exagerrating by 10 bhp) 4.2l, and everyone says Holy sh**!. Then they all gravitate to his car as he cooly explains the differences between his SC and your HSE. Now that may sound crazy and it is totally vain, but who's shoes would you rather be in - - however there is a premium price to pay.

Hey, not trying to sway you. Do only what you want and what your budget allows, that is the most important thing.

Good luck.

BTW, your other option is to wait a little longer for a Silver SC to come in...if you can wait of course...i know the waiting is grueling.

Take care.

Topher.

JUNIOR ROVER
    If your going for a Sport go for the supercharger, the extreme power is the best part of the truck. If not just get a Discovery/LR3

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks Topher,

can you pls. explain what MSRP,DRS stands for?
    If you will be in my place...(crazy offroader) would you go for the supercharged or standard HSE one? oh yah I like Bonatti Grey SC - with Stormer Wheels Is is a good choice?
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Buckingham Blue, Ivory converted to HST silver

FRESHMAN ROVER
    MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (what Land Rover suggests the the dealership sell the car for in the local market).

DRS = Dynamic Response Suspension [or System] -- levels the car during on-road cornering.

If you can afford the SC, you won't regret getting it.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    You guys in the US are lucky. Thanks to the mile-high import taxes here I pay 75% import duties plus 25% luxury taxes plus 10% sales tax. you do the math. So typically a RRS supercharged would cost about 180K. Since mine was a 1st edition I had to pay airfreight from the UK. For comparisons a LR3 V8 HSE would cost 100K. Due to the high prices normally these vehicles would come fully loaded with all options and you just need to choose the color.
    '05 RR Sport supercharged
    '05 VW Touareg R5 TDI
    '04 Toyota Harrier a.k.a Lexus RX
    '04 RR Vogue (sold)
    '02 C32 AMG (sold)
    Jakarta, Indonesia

Re: HSE vs. Supercharged - Decision Guide

I am palnning to buy RR but confused Should I wait for 2012/2013 Model? or I should go for 2011 model? and in both cases which should I buy SC or HSE? What I will be missing in the SC if I buy HSE? and does it worth the deference?
    Will 2012 model be much more expensive (as I have read in several forums) or will stay in the same range? and does it worth the wait?

Please help. Thanks

P.S. I am intending to enjoy this for long time and I don't want to look out dated in one year or missing any of the good features.

Re: HSE vs. Supercharged - Decision Guide

You could wait for the 2012 in case they have any upgrades , but then may want to wait for the 2013 model so they may work out any Kinks.
    or
    You could wait for the 2013 in case they have any upgrades , but then may want to wait for the 2014 model so they may work out any Kinks
    or
    You could wait for the 2014 in case they have any upgrades , but then may want to wait for the 2015 model so they may work out any Kinks

All this time and you are loosing out on driving a nice vehicle ...
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX