natural gas conversion
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: natural gas conversion

FRESHMAN ROVER

natural gas conversion

has anyone attempted a natural gas conversion to run both gasoline and natural gas on a fuel injected rover V8?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

jsp
    natural gas as in CNG? Compressed Natural Gas like what comes out at your house to run your oven, stove, heaters and hot water or LPG - Liquid Petroleum Gas - a by product of many refining techniques?

LPG is common in some countries, it would be fair to say maybe as much as 5 or 10 percent of old rangies have LPG here.

CNG is a differen't story though locally, lots of state owned busses run it but thats about it.
    John - South Australia
    1994 Vogue SE Classic
    1995 HSE P38
    2002 HSE L322

SENIOR ROVER
    I'm very close to fitting it to my RRC and was intending to do a similar post to see if anyone had any suggestions/experiences...?

The best solution i have been offered is installing three tanks on the boot floor over which i will put another floor raising it by about 30cm/12inches. Obviously not ideal but it sems this is the best available compromise.

Some installers over here won't touch them because of problems with backfiring destroying MAF (air flow meters) but as jsp says there are some already done and as we get an AU$2000 rebate over here it's worth doing i think, especially for the extended range on long trips.
    rufant

1994 Range Rover LSE
    1987 BMW M3
    1987 BMW 635CSi
    1965 Ford Anglia
    2004 Whyte PRST-4
    2009 Jamis Dragon 29er

FRESHMAN ROVER
    i am definately talking about CNG natural gas and Not LPG Propane.

I am not worried about tank space as the tanks will be mounted inside the trunk.
    what i want is a dual fuel system that will run both on Natural gas and gasoline. this is being done to many northamerican cars and trucks but i have yet to hear of a system on a rover.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Seems like a backfire would not be a big deal for the MAF -- no moving parts. I could see it damaging the filter box -- that's a problem on many injected cars, Porsche, BMW, etc. On Porsches it's a common mod to put a relief flap in the airbox so it doesn't get damaged on backfires -- that means the backfire is coming back through the metering body (some are MAF, some AFM). You could always fit a flapper and a relief valve in the intake track after the MAF, so any backfire would be diverted.
    Tony
    '92 RRC County "Thirsty"

Premium Member
    My Range Rover runs on lpg. It maybe has a gallon of petrol thtough it once every four to six weeks.
    If you can buy CNG near you, and other people are converting their cars then, yes, its possible. Its just getting it set up right running on gas. Rover v8 lpg bits are available all over europe and the UK, so I think a good installer will be able to make it work.
    Ex - 1997 2.5 DSE
    Ex - 1993 3.9 Vogue
    Currently running an A3 TDI and being seduced by 50mpg!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    There are a couple different types of anti-blowback ideas available for LPG systems, which would work just as well on CNG, after all, they don't care how the backfire comes about.
    I fitted one after blowing the bottom off my AFM with a backfire.
    Only had two backfires since - I'm a **** sight more careful about changing from petrol to gas now - and it worked perfectly.
    Best Cheers

Frank
    ---------
    I !__[_]|\___
    I ____|"_|"__|/ Range Rover Vogue SE
    "(o)======(o)" Beluga Black LPG "TAZ"

FRESHMAN ROVER
    what is the mpg w/ the convert?
    1993 County LWB, "bertha"
    1991 RRC, "rusty" (dads)

SENIOR ROVER
    Can those with gas conversion post pictures/descriptions of their tank set ups so those of us considering it can see what the options are?

Cheers.
    rufant

1994 Range Rover LSE
    1987 BMW M3
    1987 BMW 635CSi
    1965 Ford Anglia
    2004 Whyte PRST-4
    2009 Jamis Dragon 29er

FRESHMAN ROVER

Dual fuel

Hi ,my '88 classic runs on LPG and petrol.I did have a problem with backfiring early in the piece but have learnt to avoid this.As my 3.5 EFI
    makes such smooth power low in the rev range,I have been driving in too high a gear and giving it too much of a boot at too low revs in order to accelerate.This causes backfires,especially in the colder weather.Since I learnt this and drove accordingly,I have not experienced another backfire.
    (The last one distorted the flapper valve)The truck uses much more lpg than petrol,but,because of the price difference,is actually much cheaper to run.(I average around A$12 per 100 km.)
    Cheers, rover88

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) would be dependant on filling stations, not just hooking up to a point in your house, my undersatnding is that it has to be compressed into the tank to give any benifit and that the equipment to do this is cost prohibitive.

In Oz we have plenty on NG but the reticulation system it is relativly low pressure and you couldn't get enough useable gas into your tank - We have buses running on it but have been told it will never be available to motorists.

Propane (LPG) is popular because it is delivered to the retailer under pressure so no special equipment is required on site other than a tank and the means of transfering gas to your vehicle through a metering system so they can charge you for it.
    '93 Rangie, KA VIN, RHD with ABS, located in Perth, Western Australia.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    natural gas is available here for vehicles. there are fill stations so that is not an issue.i really wasnt looking to tap into my house for some gas, i am not that cheap....

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I wasn't infering you were cheap but I'm a licensed gas fitter and many people even in some in the industry are under the impression that if it was available you would just fill up at home.

We have huge reserves of NG in this state and export it to the world at just cents per litre - **** shame because we are paying top dollar for petrol/diesel.

Cheers
    '93 Rangie, KA VIN, RHD with ABS, located in Perth, Western Australia.