Heater/AC issue
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heater/AC issue

FRESHMAN ROVER

Heater/AC issue

Hi

I've got an 89 RRC and the blower only works on the AC setting. I get all 3 speeds. However when the selector is on any of the other settings (recirc, fresh air, etc), the blower does not work at all. I only hear a slight 'whirring' noise that ramps up a little with each speed, but no air comes through the vents.

I'm assuming that the blower motor works, since it works great on AC. I'm also assuming that the resistor is working since I do get all 3 speeds.

Therefore I'm guessing that the selector switch is bad? Is that the right assumption, or is there anything else I am missing? I'm having trouble locating that switch since I don't know the exact name of it. I only find the blower switch at stores, which I don't believe I need.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Heater/AC issue

there are seperate motors for ac and heater. ac motors are under dash on pass side , heater is inside dash behind heater controls. go to atlantic british homepage tech info blower motor for pics of motor and replacement inst.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I didn't see any separate blower motors for AC and heater. And isn't the heater core on the pass side behind the dash?

Heater core is dead center of the rig behind the climate controls. See the pages on Atlantic British referenced above.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for responding, everyone.
    Ok, so I looked at this tutorial: http://www.roverparts.com/Instruction%20Photos/Instructions-HeaterBMK-8844.pdf

P
    age 9 shoes the heater core on the passenger side. Page 19 shows the blower in the middle of the dash. Again, only one blower is shown for this entire tutorial, so I'm a little confused. I'm really hoping I don't have to do that much work though to fix the heater! :-O

Now I am confused as well! I have a feeling i have P38 on the brain and am mixing up my various projects over the years.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

FRESHMAN ROVER

LOL, Ok, now that makes a little sense. I did a quick search on Atlantic British and I see both a blower motor, and a blower motor right-side for the P38.

So, is it safe to say the RRC (1989) has just one blower motor? And, does that mean mine works, and I just need to replace the switch? (the blower works, but only when selected for AC) Or....?

FRESHMAN ROVER

BUMP
    (it's cold!)

If your cold use the AC on hot since the fan works in that mode.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

its a lot of work but first test resistor , unlikely but this may be your problem but is going to be replaced anyway so it doesnt hurt to check.

I found this out the other day. Your dash vents will never blow hot air. Only defrost and foot will blow heat. Not really sure if this is what you were talking about but i found it interesting.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ah, ok. Then that makes a LOT more sense and definitely narrows the troubleshooting. Thanks!

I will definitely look at the resister first thing. If not that, could it be the blower then?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Update: There is a dull clicking noise that comes from somewhere in the dash, I believe. This only happens when I turn the wheel to the left (while moving) and with the fan turned on to any speed. At first I thought it was a steering issue until I realized it does not occur when the fan speed it off. Any ideas what that noise is? It is erratic, but gets faster the faster I'm moving. It doesn't appear to come from under the hood or underneath.

I'm supposed to go to Tahoe this weekend for new year's eve, but it's going to suck without a heater.