Range Rovers Forum banner

Rear Window Defrost Issue

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  corfuchris 
#1 ·
My rear window defroster works, but only two bars out of the twelve or so work. They are, I think, the fourth one from the top and the 5th one from the bottom. So as you can see it still leaves frosted glass right where I need none, especially in Upstate NY. I checked for any breaks in the copper but found none. Any clues to why this is happening?

Thanks again.

#3 ·
Check element with magnifier glass.

You can buy "liquid" which fix broken lines from well equipped partstore.

#4 ·
Has anyone experienced luck with using the aftermarket paint on fix for the rear defroster breaks? The dealer told me it was a lost cause, but I consider myself much to handy to take their official advice. I have only three lines woking in the rear defroster and would really like them all to work. As suggested below, I will take a magnifying glass and attempt to idetify cracks in the striping as none are apperent to my eye. Thoughts?

#5 ·
If any of the "bars" are working your circuit is fine. You would definately have a break somewhere on the glass. As mentioned give a close inspection to each "bar" until you fint the break. I have used the paint on kits and they work great. The key is to have a spotlessly clean area around the break.

#6 ·
I don't know if "luck" is the right word for it. It does work.

I used the repair paint on the rear defroster grid on my BMW when I first bought it (used) 14 years ago. The dealer sent some kid out to remove tint film from its windows, and he used a razor blade to scrape it off. I bought the car in sunny California in the summertime, so I didn't learn about the sliced defroster wires until months later. My defroster wires had hundreds of slices. I tried to patch them all, but the work was so tedious that I gave up after about 20 hours of looking at the defroster wires a magnifying loupe that I normally used for inspecting printing dots. I did get my AM and FM antenna wires all fixed, and they still work great all these years later. (Yeah, I still own that BMW.) I also got one defroster wire completely fixed.

Follow the directions to the letter. Really clean the glass and remove all traces of oils, waxes, etc. I bet that the pre-paint solvent and wipes used to prepare a car for repainting would work for this too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.