My 1990 RRC introduction!
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 1990 RRC introduction!

FRESHMAN ROVER

My 1990 RRC introduction!

Greetings!

Yesterday I brought home a nice 1990 RRC! Very excited to share, and learn from the community to fix it up.

Its a 2 owner NorCal truck, with a stack of records and receipts dating back to the dealership in 1990. It was well cared for. The previous owner also installed chrome bumpers and wheels off a '95. The market on these trucks is crazy. I contacted the seller within 4 hours of his listing. When I showed up he already had 4 other buyers waiting in line to buy it...

Pretty much everything so far works. The power door locks, windows, seats, sunroof, radio, heater, even the headlamp washers squirt!

The only major issues are the ABS light is on, and there is a pin hole leak in one of the a/c compressor hoses that needs addressing.

I think I will try and dig into the ABS harness today to do the flashing light diagnostic test. I am really hoping the issue is just a wheel speed sensor that is out of alignment.

Glad to finally be able to post here as a fellow owner!

-Christian

1990 Portofino Red RRC
    2008 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2007 Ferrari F430

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: My 1990 RRC introduction!

Video I took of the ABS light test... can anyone decipher the code? It doesnt seem to match anything I have read...

1990 Portofino Red RRC
    2008 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2007 Ferrari F430

FRESHMAN ROVER

Looks like 2-0 to me. Based on that the ECU is identified as the culprit at the link below -

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...code-procedure
    1995 RRC LWB (2 of them for now...)
    Leesburg, Virginia - USA

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Wink Re: My 1990 RRC introduction!

Oh, and congratulations on the new truck!
    Leesburg, Virginia - USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by pcoburn View Post
    Looks like 2-0 to me. Based on that the ECU is identified as the culprit at the link below -

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...code-procedure
    Thank you! hadnt seen that list showing the 2-0 code... Ugh I hope finding a new ecu isnt too difficult...

Is the ECU for the ABS separate or is it the same one for the engine as well? Excuse my ignorance... this is my first LR!

edit:
    nevermind looks like it is a separate computer. Would something like this work in my 1990? Or are there different part numbers based on the year?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Range-La...JYfVvH&vxp=mtr
    1990 Portofino Red RRC
    2008 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2007 Ferrari F430

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Crotter,
    according to my info the abs ecu part numbers are: up to engine # JA624755, RTC6497. From KA624756, NTC8474. I am in Australia so part # may be different. Good luck.Looks like a really nice truck.
    Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    Hi Crotter,
    according to my info the abs ecu part numbers are: up to engine # JA624755, RTC6497. From KA624756, NTC8474. I am in Australia so part # may be different. Good luck.Looks like a really nice truck.
    Phil
    Phil,

Thanks for the kind words and the part numbers. I removed the panels concealing the ABS ecu last night and was able to read the part numbers off it. Unfortunately it seems like the way its bolted in the seat will have to be removed in order to swap out the ECU! Oh well, I was looking for a bit of a weekend project anyways!
    1990 Portofino Red RRC
    2008 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2007 Ferrari F430

FRESHMAN ROVER

The seat is easy to remove, 4 bolts from memory. Ya gotta love a "project".

FRESHMAN ROVER

So, another question from a RRC noob... My parking brake doesn't seem to engage at all. When pulled up it seems really loose, like its not even attached to anything. If I put it in drive and yank the brake up all the way, it still creeps forward as soon as I take my foot off the brakes. Is it easy to tighten it back up? Does the parking brake on these trucks go to drums inside the rear wheel brakes, or is it a transmission brake?
    1990 Portofino Red RRC
    2008 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2007 Ferrari F430

FRESHMAN ROVER

There are 2 adjustments, one is for the cable which is up near the lever. The other is on the the drum coming off the back of the transfer case where the rear prop shaft connects. Adjust the drum first and then the lever if needed. If it's really loose, it's possible the cable is broken/disconnected.

Have you downloaded the manual (5th "sticky" in this forum)? I have a '95 but I'm sure the procedure must be covered in the earlier manuals.
    Leesburg, Virginia - USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by pcoburn View Post
    There are 2 adjustments, one is for the cable which is up near the lever. The other is on the the drum coming off the back of the transfer case where the rear prop shaft connects. Adjust the drum first and then the lever if needed. If it's really loose, it's possible the cable is broken/disconnected.

Have you downloaded the manual (5th "sticky" in this forum)? I have a '95 but I'm sure the procedure must be covered in the earlier manuals.
    Thanks for the info... finally figured out the manual. Downloaded the PDF. Very helpful indeed! Turns out the cable is completely broken off at the parking brake handle. Doesnt seem to complicated to replace.
    1990 Portofino Red RRC
    2008 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2007 Ferrari F430

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.