Best Range Rover Classic Year and Why?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Range Rover Classic Year and Why?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Best Range Rover Classic Year and Why?

I am looking into buying a Range Rover Classic (let me know if you are selling ) I have read people like the 95 Range Rovers the best because of the "updated" interior. I looked at one and I wasn't sure I liked the interior better. I would like the dual air control, but that is about it.

Me personally, I think I like the LWB. After sitting in one the other day, I am craving that rear leg room! The bigger engine looks good too, and some report better mpg. So what is your favorite Range Rover classic year and model, and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: Best Range Rover Classic Year and Why?

Hard dash LWB. Because the 95' is just a Discovery
    He won the 1995 World Series of Poker with a deck of UNO cards.

05' Discovery 3: Johnson Rods and 33in AT's
    00' P38 4.0: Sold
    99' P38 4.0: Gone
    93' RRC LWB: Sold

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I like just about any year or RRC as long as it is fuel injected. Actually, with patience I could probably tune the dual Zenith-Strombergs on the carburetted models, but the parts are few and far between here in the US for those rare early models. I haven't owned one of the latest RRC's, but I've driven a Disco with the 4.0l V-8 and it was very smooth. I like the idea of not having a distributor, and using a row of coils instead.

I've driven an '87 with the locking transfer case, but for ease of use I really like the Borg-Warner viscous transfer case in our '89.

The guy I bought my current RRC from had a bad experience with the anti-lock brakes on a 1990 RRC, but if the system is in working order I don't see a problem with anti-lock. It's got some real advantages in icy weather. If you're dead-set against anti-lock brakes, any year before '89 doesn't have them, and I think the standard model and Hunter didn't either in '91 or '92.

I also like air suspension; it was very comfortable on a '94 LWB I drove several years ago. Some people just can't get it fixed when it fails, but others don't seem to have any problem fixing it. It can be expensive to fix if you have to take it to a garage. There are kits to replace the air springs with steel springs, but the lack of a load leveler like the older RRC's have means that they point their headlights at the sky when towing trailers or when otherwise heavily loaded.

Scott

FOUNDING MEMBER

I have a '92 and it's great. I wanted an LWB when I bought my '92 but the price was a bit beyond my reach. I'd still like an LWB over my '92. I like the extra space, the smoother ride, the power, the economy. I particularly like the '94 because that year the Brooklands Green (real BRG) was available although I'd switch to the '93-style wheels that I have on my '92. I don't care for the '95 soft-dash at all. Among other things, it has more restricted outward visibility at the top of the windscreen due to an unaccountable change in the headliner design. I already wish I could lower my seat further in my '92 because of that and lack of headroom. I would have been afraid of the air suspension at first but aftermarket components have made it easier and cheaper to fix and make it more reliable as well (so I've heard). My '92 is a County model so has the ABS and it's great and still works after 144K miles. I'm still on my original engine, injectors, distributor, tranny, radiator, and transfer box (I love the BW box with its VC) and I've used mine quite hard off-road--I don't have all that many of the original body panels! The biggest money pit on mine is the AC. I spent well over $1,500 on it over time and it still won't hold a charge. I've been living with no AC for a number of years now and I live in a hot climate.

Don't get in a hurry but find a really cherry one with a clean service history!

Happy hunting!
    '92 Range Rover County V8 "Ziggy" (Sold after 13.5 years of beloved ownership)
    '06 LR3 SE V8
    Mendocino County, CA USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I know what you mean about the visibility in the 95. I noticed that when I sat in one today. I thought the 94 I sat in yesterday had a better visibility, and I preferred the steering wheel. The 95 sounds like it may be a tad more inexpensive to maintain due to the Discovery similarities.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I don't know if any are better or worse...

No matter how hard you try, you can never keep the water from leaking in, nor can you keep the fluids from leaking out...it's a Rover 'thang...

Newer models have more creature comforts. That's a plus I guess...older models are easier to maintain in some respects...I don't have the BW transfer box, mine has the LT235, that is one aspect, although folks usually love the BW viscous, *when* it's working properly.

FOUNDING MEMBER

No water leaks into mine, even via the moon roof (which I'd rather not have, so I had more headroom). One stupid aspect of the design, regarding rain water, however, is that the roof gutter seems to always want to drain right onto the driver's door and when I open the door in the rain to get in or out I get a waterfall on me! The fluids leaking out, well, I certainly agree about that!
    '92 Range Rover County V8 "Ziggy" (Sold after 13.5 years of beloved ownership)
    '06 LR3 SE V8
    Mendocino County, CA USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Granny
    No water leaks into mine, even via the moon roof (which I'd rather not have, so I had more headroom). One stupid aspect of the design, regarding rain water, however, is that the roof gutter seems to always want to drain right onto the driver's door and when I open the door in the rain to get in or out I get a waterfall on me! The fluids leaking out, well, I certainly agree about that!
    Granny,

I luckily do not have any water leaks in mine, but I always remember that line, the guy who used to quote it all the time was Ben, can't remember his last name but he used to go on your recce in Mendo, you probably know his name. He had a Series LR, as I recall, lived over by Santa Clara University for a while. The saying is really in regards to the Series vehicles...but much of it applies to the Rangie...lol

You might be able to answer my coolant question since you have a '92, would appreciate your input.

Cheers,
    Alan

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I have a 92 county and a 93 county lwb. From taking them both apart the 93 has alot of improvements over the 92, a plastic gas filler neck vs metal and improved subwolfer to name a few. If I was to buy another one lack of rust would be the thing that would determine which one I would buy.
    1993 RRC LWB
    1992 RRC parts need some?
    1998 BMW 740i my other money pit

SOPHOMORE ROVER

1970 was the best year because, without it, there wouldn't have been a Range Rover
    Pensioner with wife and 4 V8s to support!
    1986 Classic Vogue Auto
    1993 Classic Vogue SE Auto (converted to Dakar)
    +Defender 90XS Station Wagon, 101GS and a Series One 80"

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Leo
    Hard dash LWB. Because the 95' is just a Discovery
    Ouch

Well, I love my Discovery LWB County that looks like a RRC

But I also loved my old stickshifted two-door rangie from, I don't know exactly anymore, 1987?

Anyway, my wife is so excited from the RRC that we are going to look after a 1998 Discovery V8i for her tomorrow...
    (swap it for my wife's boring but very economic 2003 Chevy tracker)
    maybe I can take the best parts out of the "new" Car and put it in my LWB County but

cheers, Chris
    1960 seriesII 88" in parts, 1995 RRC 4.2 V8 LWB on coilsprings, 1998 Discovery 4.0 V8i.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...tur343x140.jpg

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Granny
    Among other things, it has more restricted outward visibility at the top of the windscreen due to an unaccountable change in the headliner design.
    It's because the softdash models have a bonded windscreen.
    Danny

'94 RRC V8, 3.9 auto Vogue, LPG.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

JUNIOR ROVER

Am yet to see the lack of vision, pick up my 95 lse this saturday. Have had a 93' VSE for past three years. Has been as reliable as a swiss watch except for the eas (dead easy to fix though). leaks one or two drops a week. have had an 84 in the past with the 3 speed sludgo'matic (worst auto ever!!!!) but it had that 'classic' feel about it the 93 lacks. Dad had a 74' two door that I drove a lot, feels like a tractor compared to the 93' though for some reason I always enjoy driving it. Dad's now drives an 88', the flapper injection is very delicate if you want to run lpg. I'd go for a 91 3.9 if your using it for a daily driver. You get the 3.9, 14cux injection, coils, and the zf 4 speed (which lasts for ever in my experience if treated right). The secret to a good rangie lies in it's servicing.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yeah..i would say that my current Rangie is the best i have had,especially because of 4.6 engine i converted few years ago .My first was -83 carb,manual second was -88 efi aut third was -90 3.9 aut and current is -92 Westminster!
    Rgds:Jukka
    RR92 Westminster 4.6
    -73 Rover P6 3500efi
    Yeah,right

FRESHMAN ROVER

From here in the UK, I would say that I prefer any Rangie built before 1992 which is when (I believe) Landrover changed their steel suppliers to reduce costs (and hence steel quality). With the British weather pre '92 Rangies seem to rust less than post '92 ones. Given that the Range Rover is the world's first biodegradable vehicle, anything that slows the process down has got to be good
    1989 3.5 EFi Vogue SE RRC