Center Console Dead, would Softdash console fit?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Center Console Dead, would Softdash console fit?

Center Console Dead, would Softdash console fit?

I'm going to throw this idea out there!!

I have a very, very, broken center console and I have discovered that they are rare in complete form, so what to do?

I did stumble on a chap who was making bomb proof consoles out of half a tree, but he's stopped posting updates 7 years ago.. so I'll assume that he's given up, or got too many splinters

Not having easy access to a workshop, I'm keen to find an alternative replacement, rather than go down the hammer and nails route...... So I've been looking at what is available for the RRC... and there are a few softdash consoles available. Having studied these consoles I have become aware that they bare more than a striking resemblance to the console in a Discovery 2.... LR been raiding the parts bins?

Now I realise that the later consoles have the plastic lower part that holds the radio on mine, included in the console, and there is a major difference at the dash end, BUT, from what I can make out the earlier console finishes just in front of the gear levers and pokes under the radio pod... So could I take a saw to a later console and get it to fit? Has anyone tried this?

Or would a later console just fit if I do away with the radio... as there are plans to move this anyway!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Center Console Dead, would Softdash console fit?

depends on the year of your truck, pre 95 you will have lots of cutting and hacking to fit a discovery style dash. pre 95 dash is actually a piece of metal covered by plastic, also the hvac is different between the pre 95 and later.
    any way you go, good luck.

Well at least you haven't said NO!! I'm not looking to change the whole dash, just the middle bit between the seats! I suppose the best thing is to cop hold of a cheap one and see how it goes!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by miggit View Post
    Well at least you haven't said NO!! I'm not looking to change the whole dash, just the middle bit between the seats! I suppose the best thing is to cop hold of a cheap one and see how it goes!
    I restore rovers for a living, this include modifications. to me "NO", "NOT POSSIBLE" or "CAN'T BE DONE" simply do not exist.
    if the willingness, time, motivation, idea and money are there then why not do it?

While I don't restore LR products for a living, I do believe that if something can be improved, and is life changing or cost effective then it should be done! Like the TV Sat Nav Stereo that I'll be fitting.. Why? cos I miss the reversing camera that I got used to in the L322... Plus towing for a living I can hook up to half a dozen trailers in a day, and more if they are being sited at an event.. my record is 150 trailers in a day , but they didn't go very far!! Jumping in and out to get the hitch lined up is a real pain, so a camera just makes it easy.. and safer for the bumper!

I was even toying with the idea of a Discovery 3/4 or RRS console... you can get a fridge for them!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Disco I and II consoles are a perfect fit. No modification necessary other than widening the shifter opening slightly. Just use your old one as a template. No need to modify the TS shifter opening.. I grabbed the seat switches from the disco and wired them into my 95 classic classic and got rid of the pods.

Sweet! that is good news, thanks
    ​Range Rover Classic 1988 Fueled by the Devil (2.4 VM Diesel)

FRESHMAN ROVER

I meant TC shifter. The disco I and II center dash trim bezel also fits fine with just some trimming of the upper lip of the disco bezel. And yes the disco I and II dash assembly is direct swap also with the 95 classic. I have a Disco II dash and center console in my 95 County LWB. The extra switch positions in the instrument cluster housing of the disco are great spots for auxillary switches for off road lights etc, because all of the switches from the disco that go there are in the center dash bezel of the classic so you have all those blank spots for whatever you want.

The way I read this is you have a pre 95 Range Rover wanting to install a 95 RRC console/ D1 style?? If so it will fit however where it meets the dash in front of the transfer box shifter it will need modification as the pre 95 slips under the dash whereas the 95 on/D1 follows the trans tunnel and hides further back under the dash. If I were you I would try and re-inforce your existing cubby box with metal a common practice.. The later consoles are entirely made of plastic and become brittle and also break. hope this helps.
    04 Range Rover
    95 4.6 Range Rover 25th anniversary
    94 LWB 4.6 offroader
    87 RRC
    05 Jetta TDi wagon
    83 Rabbit Gti
    80 RX7
    17 Volvo XC 60

I'm beginning to feel that it might be better to just do away with it altogether and relocate the window switches..

My console is in 8 parts with bits missing.. a simple reinforcing job would result in a 95% metal box!!

But you do have a valid point that a replacement even if it was from the last ever D2, is still going to be at least 15 years old, still going to be badly made, and still use self destructing plastic

I look at a lot of junked discoverys
    Most have good consoles
    I'll bet you could find one and make it work

Update I have taken the plunge and brought a D2 console, it should be here by the weekend, just in time to play! I'm even thinking of making a mold from it so that I could produce one, or maybe more in fibreglass... What do you think the resale potential would be like?

FRESHMAN ROVER

DI and DII consoles are a straight fit. No modification necessary other than what I mentioned. I have one in my 95 classic from a D2. The DIi console is actually a better design because of the way the window switches mount into a separate plate so you don't have to remove the whole tray to work on a switch.

Well my D2 console turned up, and I have discovered a few differences between it and the early console in my classic.

Firstly, the rear heating outlets and the ashtray are built in on the early console, on the later it is a separate bit..... but I have a cunning plan, I'm going to try and recycle the lower rear section of my old console, as that is one of the only intact parts!

The other difference is the way it is secured in, the old console is bolted to the tunnel just behind the gear lever, and there are 2 large screws a bit further up which hold it down on to the tunnel floor.. the later one must have a bracket or tab at the front (have yet to discover the secret) and it is fixed to the rear duct support.. neither of which I have, so there's going to be a bit of head scratching and the mechano will be coming out too!!
    Last edited by miggit; February 27th, 2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: missing

FRESHMAN ROVER

I misread your original post. I thought you had a 95. It's straight swap on 95 only. Slight mod for pre 95 but can be done. For the bracket to mount the rear, just bend a piece of metal at each end and self tapping into the tunnel. There's your mounting bracket. Not as hard as it sounds. If your lower console is good, you should be able to fit the top without too much issue. It's not as hard as it seems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.