Radio Sat Nav upgrade, where to site it?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio Sat Nav upgrade, where to site it?

Radio Sat Nav upgrade, where to site it?

Hi all, I hoping that someone over here might be able to help... I have just ditched my L322 and got hold of a 1988 classic, and while I am enjoying the total lack of computers, I am missing the reversing camera, sat nav, and hands free....

Simple fix, fit an all singing and dancing Chinese all in one unit, BUT where to put it? If I use the original Radio slot then the screen will be obscured by the steering wheel, and I very much doubt that a slide out screen will have enough room to deploy..

Put it in the later radio position, which is A, very shallow, and B, in a place that and changes to the ventilation is a no go and trying to just glance at it could end in Or my prefered thinking is to ditch the shallow tray, that was a speaker in the early 2 door cars, and somehow fit the unit there..

Has anyone done or seen this done, and have you any inspirational pics?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Radio Sat Nav upgrade, where to site it?

slightly cumbersome but what about on top of the dash board where the cubby tray is located?, it gives you all you want. the adaptor for this conversion can be found at any respectable auto audio store.

Well that was my thinking too, but I was worried about obstructing the demister vents.... from what I can remember they need all the help they can get!

I have just copped hold of a cheap BMW E46 all in one Chinese affair, which is very similar to one that I put in my L322, and I'm waiting for it to arrive before I take a blade to the dash I'm hoping to get it as low as possible so that it doesn't interfere with with the demister too much... and then I'm going to have to fashion a cover and surround... Toying with the idea of leather covering it... I think that might be easier than trying to replicate the plastic!

Oh and the only radio pods that are readily available in the UK only cover 2/3 of the radio and the back is completely open.... so that was a non starter for a kick off!
    Last edited by miggit; February 10th, 2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

here in the states we have this place "crutchfield.com". lots of good to high quality car audio stuff including pods...have you looked into defender pods?
    I have used crutchfield extensively for nearly 20 yrs, always pleased with results.

Haven't heard that name in ages. In the 80's and 90's, if ever I was looking for aftermarket kit, I had two go catalogues. Crutchfield and good old JC Whitney. Many a console, faceplate, electric antennae and speakers came from those two.

I think I will have to waste a bit of time over on the JC site...
    Stand tough, stand strong...
    stand for those who can not stand for themselves.

we don't have anything like than over here... A Defender pod is best part of $100 And the under dash mounts that are available over here are only 3/4 pods and leave the messy bit on display

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.