RRC 2.4 VM Diesel swap?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RRC 2.4 VM Diesel swap?

RRC 2.4 VM Diesel swap?

Hi all, new to here.. sort of.. first post but been registered for a while...

Just got shot of my 2003 TD6 L322 Vogue and I've just copped hold of an 88 RRC with a diesel lump.... I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the engine... from what I can see it's a VM and after a bit of panic searching on the web it's a 2.4.

Now bearing in mind that I want to use it to tow heavy trailers (3 tons + major wind drag) I think that a replacement engine might be in order.. fast.. but funds are drained and time is of the essence.

I do have plans to drop a Mercedes diesel with tweaked mechanical fuel pump and a 6 speed manual box (ECU free motoring, I'm sick of computer faults), BUT, that was going to be next year after I've made enough dosh. I was hoping to use the RRC this summer as a back up tow car to my rather worn out Mercedes ML.. So I need a quick cheap fix, a nut and bolt swap with a bit more power and less water consumption.

Is a 200/300 TDi a straight swap, or am I into gearboxes and the like?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER

Re: RRC 2.4 VM Diesel swap?

Welcome. I see you are from the land of concrete cows and loads of roundabouts. It was one of my favorite places while I stayed in the UK for a few years.

Anyway, give us some details of your RRC. Does it have a manual transmission? Which transmission does it have. A 200TDI or a 300TDI should be a direct bolt in, depending on they did to put the VM diesel in.
    1993 RRC LWB 4.2L
    2000 Discovery Locked and Loaded

From what I can tell it's got a short shifter LT77 and an LT230R transfer box!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Subscribed, I'm working on (planning stage) an OM 617 swap using an oversized turbo and a/w intercooler. Aiming for 150-ish HP with zero electrical needed once running.

If you need big towing HP you might see about a kit that somebody used to produce to drop a Ford 5.0L V8 into the RRC, but that's still going to be some work. Can you get your hands on a Rover 3.9 or 4.2L V8 over there?

Now funny that you should say Mercedes... I was looking at an OM606 with a rejetted manual pump that would produce around 275 hp and 400 lbs, found a company in Sweden who make a conversion kit to drop it in the Range Rover.. Then I discovered that you can get the same output from an OM605... With less size it should fit better!!

Rover 3.9's and 4.2's are easy to get, but I need high torque at low revs so I really need to stick with diesel. Oh and from what I have seen the 4.6 is a better engine, and can be put back on a carb (Holley 4 brl) and still make good power without the need for ECU's!

And big engines in a RRC... Overfinch used to put the 350ci Chevy in a Classic, and there is also kits to fit the GM V8 diesels too... only problem is they are hard to find in the UK and the Fuel pump arrangement puts me off, from what I have gathered they can be a real pain when they go wrong and very expensive to put right over here!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.