My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB

Re: My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB

^^x2. Horde?LOL! That's part of ownership of a 95 RRC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '95 RRC LWB Avalon Blue - Sold
    '06 E350 Sport
    '87 HD FLST with '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
    '02 Hobie Getaway

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by jeffwm View Post
    I should have mentioned the EAS is gone... thanks for the heads up on plastic parts. Some parts of the doors are in bad shape (e.g. hand hold plastic cups and at least one missing speaker grill). I don't plan to do too much wheeling with this one and want to try and keep it stock for the long haul where possible based on parts and $$$.
    Contact Lee at English Swedish in Alpharetta for the upper tail gate and plastic bits. Also, feel free to message me on anything you are having difficulty locating. I also have a 95' LWB (white) and know where several parts trucks are in the area. Best of luck!

http://www.english-swedish.com/home.html

FRESHMAN ROVER

So, I started looking for additional rust based on everyone's input and here's what we found...
    My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-50542210107__cbe71819-15a9-4d92-96f9-a5a37e1c9aa2.jpg.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-50542212186__497c6905-0b04-41af-8fef-7865af0c7aa8.jpg.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-50542214456__4dcf6dd9-b165-4acf-8d24-ffd084abf867.jpg.jpg

Fortunately, I also have a good metal working guy...
    My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1803.jpg.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1804.jpg.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1805.jpg.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1806.jpg.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.JPG.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	211234Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.JPG.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	211242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.JPG.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	211250Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	211258

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Great job! So bulkhead and from footwells were solid ? Also, check the inside lip on the bonnet, surface rust grows there, but really isn't visible until you lift the bonnet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '06 E350 Sport
    '02 Hobie Getaway

WAY better than mine, in amount of rust..... and quality of work

you can tell where my welding improved as you look over my truck ha! (notice how I haven't posted pics....) They will hold, but only a parent could love them.
    1995 4.2L RRC LWB Beluga Black Tan Leather 5" Rovertym lift

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quick update, pl626 was spot on with where the rust would be... and how bad. We just ordered new cross member from YRM and replaced front passenger footwell area. Should be solid on the body soon and will post some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffwm View Post
    Quick update, pl626 was spot on with where the rust would be... and how bad. We just ordered new cross member from YRM and replaced front passenger footwell area. Should be solid on the body soon and will post some pics.
    NICE! I am retrofitting my own crossmember. (just remember you got to stop the water from coming in) I am STILL fighting the front driverside to find where its getting in.

man, y'all are making me feel good about the limited rust on my 90. I just have a small hole in each footwell and a quarter size hole in the bulkhead. Nothing anywhere else. I did remove the sound stuff under my carpets. Now if I could just get the motor running a little smoother 100% of the time, and maybe a sunroof gasket.
    1990 RRC. 4.2 wearing green.

FRESHMAN ROVER

So, as I dig into the rust and body further (much of interior is out), I want to do Dynamat in all key places and panels (doors, fenders, floor boards, etc.) I'm also thinking this is a good time to do heater core/blowers, door actuator springs or new aftermarket units, maybe even keyless entry retro, etc.

So... the question is, if I'm this far in how important is it to do a body off type restoration if I'm this far in? Bear in mind rebuilt trans from AB is here and rebuilt Turner UK 4.2 with sport cam and gasflowed heads are on order so engine bay will also be clear. I'm thinking it's not necessary and, while spending a lot, did not intend to set out on a concours level restoration, just solid and reliable.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Here are some more pics of where we are...
    My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0018.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0021.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0019.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0022.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0023.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0026.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1816.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1821.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_1823.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0017.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_0020.jpg

Awesome job! It does seem you may as well do frame off, but I'd bet your 95 s frame is still solid. I wouldn't bother if there are no frame issues, but you may want to blast the frame internals with waxoyl/dinitrol, then coat the sill internals, rear crossmember.

I'm using both Dynamat w/ Dynapad. Much better than the stock sponges they call padding...

Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '06 E350 Sport
    '02 Hobie Getaway

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks! I'm sure my ignorance will be showing, but what do you mean by internals and how do you get to them? Do you mean inside the closed/tubular/rectangular parts of the frame? The new YRM cross member is awesome, but not rustproofed in any way.

My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB

Yes, coat the inside of the frame, crossmember, any steel tubing or box should get a liberal coating. There should be plenty of ways to spray inside the box/tubing. The sills on each side should be easy, as you've already removed the tread plates. The white plastic screw mounts provide openings at the top(after removing) to squirt the insides. Remove the plastic sill finisher and you have more access on the sides.

Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '06 E350 Sport
    '02 Hobie Getaway

Well... Figured I would show you what I did on my C-member. Your front panels look identical to how mine looked. Did you find how the water is getting in? Chances are it still will come in if not. BTW, looking really good Jeff!

I did not want to spend the money for the YRM panels or the freight. So I got some 3/16th x 3" angle and burned it in as i was able of keeping 1/2 of my cross member. I then just patched up the holes I cut out.

There is a tool by eastwood that would allow you to spray inside frame rails yourself to coat for rust-preventative. I wouldn't think a frame off is necessary, but that's up to you as to how far you want to take this. I am looking into this spray product for my new cmember and frame...

My first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_8039.jpgMy first Range Rover Classic Project - '95 County LWB-img_8041.jpg

grnole - Could you post a "before" shot of your cross member? I'm curious what the bottom of the c-member looked like, especially near the hinges. TIA!

OP - sorry for hijacking your thread. BTW, I'm meant to say, based on the pics of the front footwell repair, I'd say, check the sunroof drains. Also, pull your central locking ECU, then pull the cover off and inspect for any evidence of water penetration. My '95 RRC SWB actually had some rust on the PCB of the central locking.

Quote Originally Posted by grnole View Post
    Well... Figured I would show you what I did on my C-member. Your front panels look identical to how mine looked. Did you find how the water is getting in? Chances are it still will come in if not. BTW, looking really good Jeff!

I did not want to spend the money for the YRM panels or the freight. So I got some 3/16th x 3" angle and burned it in as i was able of keeping 1/2 of my cross member. I then just patched up the holes I cut out.

There is a tool by eastwood that would allow you to spray inside frame rails yourself to coat for rust-preventative. I wouldn't think a frame off is necessary, but that's up to you as to how far you want to take this. I am looking into this spray product for my new cmember and frame...

Attachment 214330Attachment 214338
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '06 E350 Sport
    '02 Hobie Getaway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.