driving with TPS disconnected
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: driving with TPS disconnected

FRESHMAN ROVER

driving with TPS disconnected

is there any issues with driving with the TPS disconnected.

I think i have finally found my hesitation issue. i disconnected the TPS and took her for a drive and she drives great. i plug it back in and i have hesitation issues at around 2100rpm. unplug and it runs great. and i am not showing any code. see recent: EAS stuck in High topic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: driving with TPS disconnected

Quote Originally Posted by rezdiver
    is there any issues with driving with the TPS disconnected.

I think i have finally found my hesitation issue. i disconnected the TPS and took her for a drive and she drives great. i plug it back in and i have hesitation issues at around 2100rpm.
    Hello Rez,

No critical issues as such! Over the whole range the system may try to run somewhat weaker and indeed, you may even find your fuel consumption improves but performance will be adversely affected. Lets go back to back to basics for a moment.

One purpose of the Throttle Position Sensor is to inform the ECU of throttle position so the ECU can take that into account as it computes pulse width requirements to suit the various driving conditions encountered.

It also informs the ECU of the rate at which the throttle is opening so in the case of fast throttle rotation requesting rapid acceleration the signal triggers the acceleration enrichment circuits.

At full load - wide open throttle - the TPS signal triggers the full load enrichment circuits to maximise the power output.

So, if the TPS is not connected none of those mentioned functions can take place and the ECU will only vary its fuel metering based on the other inputs from MAF meter, and temps sensors.

The performance will be flat with no possibility of enrichment so the acceleration and full load performance will be below par. Axiomatically, if you car has problems with the TPS connected then you may pretty much assume that the TPS (its connectors or its connecting cables) is faulty.

To confirm the diagnosis the TPS should be tested for wear. Although not written for your car, you will find a suitable procedure along with loads of other stuff about the component, here:

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... Pot01.html

and some further analysis on this forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22421

Hope this helps?

FRESHMAN ROVER

thank you for your response and the info. I will have to drive the truck with the TPS disconnected until the replacement arrives. so far I have not seen any ill effects in driving without it but i am sure as you have mentioned that i am not doing well for performance or fuel economy.

its strange that after two days of bad throttle and finally receiving a code 17 on the read out. i disconnected the battery disconnected the TPS and reconnected the battery, i no longer have a code or check engine light.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rezdiver
    its strange that after two days of bad throttle and finally receiving a code 17 on the read out. i disconnected the battery disconnected the TPS and reconnected the battery, i no longer have a code or check engine light.
    Why Strange? I assume the fault code is to inform you of a TPS malfunction based on the noisy sensor (presume you read the referenced material?) so with the TPS disconnected the diagnostic software would not detect any noise - so would not show that particular fault code. - methinks??

thank you so much for clear detailed explanation.
    best regards

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.