Range Rovers Forum banner

Brake warning light comes on when depressing brake pedal

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  atlantic 
#1 ·
This just started recently and I am trying to figure out what the cause could be. Brake power seems as before. Fluid level is ok. Could it be just a matter of bleeding the brake fluid?

It does not seem to stop lighting up, even after driving a couple of miles. The ABS pump comes on as usual on power-up and takes it's usual intervals during driving/braking.

Anybody ever experienced this?

#2 ·
Does it happen every time? Does it flash sometimes and then go solid? Ever come on after hitting a bump? I had a similar issue which turned out to be corroded rear brake lines that were throwing bad vibes to the system. Replaced the lines and problem solved.

Might not be your problem, but worth looking at anyway...

#3 ·
It comes on all the time when a certain amount of force is applied. This means it will not come on, if you only tip the pedal and the brake lights come on. That's why I am assuming it could be something in the brake system, either sensor problems or a real problem :shock:

#4 ·
Not absolutely sure about this on your model year, but on my 92 the brake pads have wires embedded in them to indicate when wear down comes to the point that they should be changed. Check under your vehicle for two small wires going to each brake pad and a rather large plug (about the size of a cork). Check by disconnecting them to see if this stops the warning indication. If you don't want to keep seeing the lamps, you can clip the wires attached to the brake pads. Just remember to get your pads renewed, sooner than later. :wink:

#5 ·
rtkraken said:
Not absolutely sure about this on your model year, but on my 92 the brake pads have wires embedded in them to indicate when wear down comes to the point that they should be changed. Check under your vehicle for two small wires going to each brake pad and a rather large plug (about the size of a cork). Check by disconnecting them to see if this stops the warning indication. If you don't want to keep seeing the lamps, you can clip the wires attached to the brake pads. Just remember to get your pads renewed, sooner than later. :wink:
good idea! I just had the front pads replaced and the mech told me that the rear ones would be up soon... not that it has been a long time since then, but I wasn't aware that there was a sensor for that.

thanks!

#6 ·
Isn't the brake pad warning light a different one to the brake fluid level light? It is on my '93.

I would certainly start by replacing the fluid. I assume you have actually checked the brake fluid level? I has to be checked after the accumulator is full, ie after the pump stops running.

#7 ·
If you are refering to the idiot light that actually says, "brake", then it is most likely due to your pads being worn down to the embedded circut in the brake pads (as noted above by another poster). The fellow suggesting corroded brake lines is jumping way ahead of the more obvious problem...

Either way, unless you are really, really certain that all is well, you should consider having it checked out before driving around (and, let's face it, if you were convinced that all is well, you wouldn't be asking). Get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheers.

#8 ·
boblindstrom said:
If you are refering to the idiot light that actually says, "brake", then it is most likely due to your pads being worn down to the embedded circut in the brake pads (as noted above by another poster). The fellow suggesting corroded brake lines is jumping way ahead of the more obvious problem...

Either way, unless you are really, really certain that all is well, you should consider having it checked out before driving around (and, let's face it, if you were convinced that all is well, you wouldn't be asking). Get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheers.
yeah, it's definitely the idiot's light and the brake pad issue seems very likely, as mentioned before.

thanks for all your replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.