no sport mode, no low range
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: no sport mode, no low range

FRESHMAN ROVER

no sport mode, no low range

Just recently purchased a 97 4.0 se auto from a private owner. Please with the overall condition of the vehicle.

I did notice that the trans shifting is a bit odd. Sort of holds gears and shifts rather abruptly but not jarring. Far for the shift quality of my other 4.0. Then i tested low range....shifted to the right....nothing. No beeps, no flashing lights, no reaction. Then while driving i tried selecting sport mode. Nothing also. No red light at the button and nothing on the display. I have no gearbox or any fault message at all.

Just started to go over the entire car. I have not checked the trans fluid level yet. What could this be?
    06 Range Rover HSE 4.4
    04 Freelander SE3 V6
    97 Defender 110 300tdi
    01 BMW 523i Touring
    73 VW Beetle 1303s

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    When I had some transfer case work done recently, I noticed my transmission was shifting quite abruptly as well. It seemed to hold in gear longer than normal and would shift a little hard. Turns out it was just low on ATF, by about a quart and a half. On my RR, there is no transmission fluid dipstick to check the level, so you have to start the car, cycle it through the gears a couple of times, put it back in park, and then check the level through the fill hole (while the engine is still running). Voiala...smooth as butter.

As for your sport mode...no idea man.
    05' MKIII-
    Wanted: D90
    MTI Equipment
    HDD Forums

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Hi

Sounds like problems with the transfer gearbox ECU. Check fuse F4 in the BECM fusebox compartment.

There might be other fuses blown as when fault with the ECU appears you get message select Neutral and the lights of the gearshift indication all start flashing. In your case someone might have made modifications to mask the failure to be able to sell the car.

Regards

Jos
    1995 RR 4.0 SE
    Fitted with replacement engine and gearboxes from 1997 4.0 SE.

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Does it rev up really high then suddenly change gears? If so, it could be your Throttle Position Sensor. This is located on the plenum, right below the air intake. However, I don't know if it would affect your low range. I don't think so.

Do you see the gear selection on the display? Like P,D,R, etc? I'm thinking that you do. If you don't, then it could be your transfer ECU.

But when it's all said and done, I would take a look at your transmission gear select switch.
    1995 Classic LWB
    2000 DII

zem
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    check the fuses under your seat.
    I know one of the fuses when blown will disable the sport feature.
    1995 4.6 HSE :: 290,000km **New motor @ 280k **
    2.5" sports exhaust (head turning note
    Rhino alloy rack, Dual batteries,Toyo ATR's
    Tartarini injected LPG (72Lt donut)
    Camper Trailer with tinnie on roof
    2004 Yamaha WRF250

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for the replies

Another observation is that when selecting sport mode, i could see the red light on the button but isnt it suppose to show an "s" on the dash LED next to the "d" N or R etc. Nothing there. But i feel a slight change in shift behavior. Oh well...check engine light just came on....so lets see maybe its the TPS.
    06 Range Rover HSE 4.4
    04 Freelander SE3 V6
    97 Defender 110 300tdi
    01 BMW 523i Touring
    73 VW Beetle 1303s

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.