Radio problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio problem

FOUNDING MEMBER

Radio problem

Has anyone had this problem with their radio?

i have a 2001 HSE, i believe the actual head unit is an Alpine unit with HK speakers...

anyway when i start the car, the radio makes a couple "scratchy click" noises ... then no matter what i listen to (AM, FM, CD, tape player or Navigation voice) all audio coming from the speakers is full of static. i can still hear music/voices... its just the level of static is way more then the level of desired music.

i can turn up the volume so i can hear music at a decent level, its just the level of static is always more... making listening to the radio useless.

has anyone had this issue? is it the amp or actual head unit?

thx
    Ken N.
    2001 P38A, 4.6 HSE
    95 DI

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER
    I had a similar problem but it was more of a high pitched whine than static. I isolated it but using the balance and fader to determine it was coming from the drivers door speakers. I pulled the door panel, disconnected the speakers, and the sound stopped. Then pulled off all of the tape binding the wire bundle and didn't find anything wrong but lots of trapped moisture. Once everything dried out, the interference went away. I re-bundled all the wires using zip ties so that water wouldn't get trapped inside. So far, it hasn't reoccured.
    If it turns out to be your head unit, Roverville does good work for a reasonable price and they're fast.
    http://home.valornet.com/splacket/roverville_US.htm
    Good luck.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Hey Norcal

was your problem isolated to one speaker? my problem happens across all speakers. so im not sure our issues are the same... but... it did rain the other day so maybe moisture is the problem????
    Ken N.
    2001 P38A, 4.6 HSE
    95 DI

JUNIOR ROVER
    Yes, it was isolated to the driver's door tweater and mid. Have you tried turning the sub all the was down to eliminate that?
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FRESHMAN ROVER
    scubaman,

My 2001 30th Anniversary Edition has almost the same problem as you, except it's all of the rear door and subwoofer speakers that are affected with interference / static, the front door speakers still work fine. At least I can turn the fader to 100% front bias and still listen to music.

The only thing I've tried so far is to remove & reinsert fuses 1 & 8 in the BECM and the electrical connections into the back of the head unit - this made absolutely no difference.

From what I've been able to find out so far, there is one DSP amp which is located behind the trim panel behind the subwoofer in the loadspace. Earlier model years had individual amps within in each of the doors. My next task is to check the electrical connections to the amp, and also look for a bad ground.
    Regards, Big Red.

2001 P38a 30th Anniversary
    2003 Disco 4.0 V8i

FOUNDING MEMBER
    FYI: dropped it off at the dealership this morning... Service tech says that its prolly one of the following.

1. Bad ground
    2. Bad Amp
    3. Bad radio head unit

ill let everyone know what the problem was when i get it back.

just to be clear here are my symptoms.

Upon starting the car, a few loud'ish scratchy pops come out of the speakers... after a couple of seconds you can hear music out of the speakers (CD player, Tape, Radio) but the sound of the music is low and the sound of the static is louder. Sound and static come from all of the speakers.
    Ken N.
    2001 P38A, 4.6 HSE
    95 DI

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Follow up...

Service tech did rule out a short or ground problem. But the service tech couldn't isolate the problem to either the Radio head or Amp... so they ordered both a new Radio head and Amp and will both out on Monday to see where the problem is.

so i'm without a radio till Monday evening
    Ken N.
    2001 P38A, 4.6 HSE
    95 DI

FOUNDING MEMBER
    alright, radio static problem resolved....

replace the amp and my radio is like new again!!!

so if anyone else has the mysterious "static" in your speakers issue, replacing the amp seems to have fixed it.

NOTE: its not a cheap repair.

$109.60 Labor
    $601.22 Part
    --------------
    $49.60 Tax
    ========
    $760.42 Total

thx god for warranties because if i didnt have one, for $760 i might have opted for a 3rd party stereo
    Ken N.
    2001 P38A, 4.6 HSE
    95 DI

FRESHMAN ROVER
    scubaman,

Good to hear you've got tunes again. Was physically replacing the amp the only way to pinpoint the problem?

I had a similar 'static' or 'interference' problem to you - now I can't hear anything from any of the speakers!! The head unit switches on and lights up as normal, all the buttons works and I can adjust all the settings, just with no sound.

I'll be checking out the connections to my amp first - if it's some electronic wizardry that's failed, I guess there's little alternative other than to replace the amp.

If only I had a warranty......
    Regards, Big Red.

2001 P38a 30th Anniversary
    2003 Disco 4.0 V8i