Range Rovers Forum banner

Transfer Case Drive Chain replacment

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  oldss72 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have been quite dormant of late, My poor Range has been sitting in my driveway while i drive work F-250/350's

The reason for it sitting there is that the Transfer Box Drive chain was slipping so bad that i could barley make it around a corner with out wincing.
The good news is that The transfer box is in the process of being rebuilt, and repaired.
I took it to a regular transmission shop to do the work because I have been too busy to do it myself, and they told me the following information:
Firstly, getting the transfer box is quite tricky. Even with the manual help, they still managed to break the temp. sensor in the process.
Secondly. I looked at the old chain, and yes, it was incredibly worn, but it also was missing random links throughout the chain. The good news was that neither of the gears were bad, and so the chain was the only problem. I have noticed that a number of people have been getting this problem, and I wanted to put my two cents in. Atlantic British aka roverparts.com seems to have the chain and sensor for the cheapest price. If anyone has any information as to why the chain would wear like this please let me know. I started getting the problem around 120k miles, and it started getting really bad around 140k. Thanks agian,
Joe

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.