P38 Immobilizer bypass
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P38 Immobilizer bypass

JUNIOR ROVER

P38 Immobilizer bypass

Does anyone have a definitive answer of how to bypass the P38s factory immobilizer? There is a common fault with these being affected by RF interferrence which prevents the remote plip from working.

Cheers,
    Chrisall.
    Alt4 - The Open Source Range Rover Diagnostics Project
    http://www.swiftcomm.co.uk/alt4/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Is it posible to disable it with a Rovercom, i had my alarm disabled with it becuse it kept going off on its own , i found the proplem but who takes any notice of a alarm

I think interferrence affecting the remote is very rare but i am sure somebody on here can give you a more deffenent answer
    1998 Range Rover dse,

400bhp Sierra Cosworth

JUNIOR ROVER
    Immobiliser and Alarm are two seperate items.
    Judging by the correspondance on the Blackbox (Rovacom) Forum, there is no clear and definitive method that is guaranteed to work.
    You appreciate that if you disable the Remote, which appears to be your intention, your only access to the car is via the lock in the Drivers door. This is the only key operated lock in the car, and I wouldn't recommend being solely reliant on it's operation, espacially as it gets worn through repeated and continual key operation.

The real answer to the problem of the "these being affected by RF interferrence which prevents the remote plip from working" is to replace the Alarm Receiver.

See Andy Cunningham's site at http://tinyurl.com/rqp4p for the latest model numbers.

JUNIOR ROVER
    Chas;

You appreciate that if you disable the Remote, which appears to be your intention, your only access to the car is via the lock in the Drivers door.

No, I want to completely disable/bypass the immobiliser so I can fit an after-market one.

The real answer to the problem of the "these being affected by RF interferrence which prevents the remote plip from working" is to replace the Alarm Receiver.

I agree that it is RF causing the problem, but I want to get rid of the stupid, over-complicated system & fit my own.

See Andy Cunningham's site at http://tinyurl.com/rqp4p for the latest model numbers.

I know, I'm the person discovered the part number issue in the first place & posted the part numbers on Andy's site !!!

Does anyone have any decent info, particularly on how the BeCM transmits the mobilisation code to the GEMS ecu?

JUNIOR ROVER
    Good Luck then.

JUNIOR ROVER
    Good Luck then.

Thanks, I know I'll need it !!!

Seriously though, it must be possible to do?

Premium Member
    Why dont you just fit the new type Rf reciever - they do work.The alarm and immobiliser functions are all administered from within the Becm.There is also a misunderstanding with the loss of the security link between the Becm and the Gems Ecu,this is not caused by RF interference.The Rf interference causes scrambling of the last pieces of information in the barcode that the plip sends to the car,this causes partial mobilistation and eventual keycode lockout situations.
    The loss of the security link is different,the link is in the form of a coded square wave whick is easy to see with a scope when the car's ignition switch is turned on.Losing this code on a Gems injected LP will result in no check engine lamp,no cranking,fuel or sparks.Bosch ones crank but dont fuel or spark.(Diesels crank but dont inject)
    Loss of this code is usually due to poor connections or dodgy fusebox/low battery voltage.
    Ecu repair companies are sometimes able to remove the "robust immobilisation function" so they dont require a code.
    Changing the market programme to US/Canda market disables the EKA function and some people claim solves the RF reciever /keycode lockout problems.I have yet to prove this is the case.If the car is in good condition and properly cared for the new RF reciever should be perfectly ok.In my experience aftermarket immobilisers cause more problems than the factory ones - I have removed loads of them over the years,to the delight of the cars owners !!
    Think beyond -

JUNIOR ROVER
    allyv8 - thanks for that information, that's very in-depth and helpful. I have ordered the later receiver so I hope that will cure it for me....however....

....the long term aim though is to be able to capture the mobilisation code that the BeCM sends to the engine ecu & then be able to inject this signal at will by another means. This would enable emergency starting of an otherwise immobilised car for whatever reason, ie RF interference, lost/damaged remote, loss of communication between BeCM & ecu, or simply to enable removal of the factory immobiliser.

I think that would be a useful feature to have, especially for people who use their vehicle off-road. Do you think this is viable?

I know that some experts can remove the robust immobilisation feature, Mark Adams being one name that springs to mind. I would love to be able to do the same....any pointers in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Chrisall.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: P38 Immobilizer bypass

Good day, I am facing the typical "engine disabled" error message problem as my only fob key does not work anymore.
    From what I read in the forums, I notice this seems to be a known problem affecting a lot of us.
    IS there any way to simply disconnect this so that EITHER the fob key buttons (when they work) OR the normal key can simply open the door and start the engine ?
    I do not need at all this security feature and I consider the threat of a complete immobilisation unacceptable. I live in a small Caribbean island where there are no Land Rover service center, where there is a lot of humidity and I wish to make it simple.

Is that possible ?

Thanks for your help.

Considering EITHER the fob or the key already open the door and start the engine what is the issue? Ohhhhh yeaaaa.. folks ignore all the warnings and hints and then get locked out. Why not just fix issues correctly when they are small and manageable instead of procrastinating and ending up with much larger / more expensive issues ON TOP of the original issues that get ignored?
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

to basically TURN OFF the security and remote system this is what i did ..1) unlocked my rover with the remote,2) took all the batteries out of all my remotes so as never to use them again ,3) took the door panels off 4) unplugged the electric door actuators driver side first, which cause the car to lock all doors ,5) then unlocked the passenger side door manually which unlocked all door and hatch 6) unplugged passenger door actuator !!! free at last no fear of remote lockout or engine immobilization.... 7) one of the wires on the passenger side plug sends a signal to lock the hatch and rear doors, i jumped the connections till i found that wire and reconnected it.. now i am manual on lock down of all doors and use a key to open what IS NOW A MANUAL lock on the driver side door while opening the passenger side door actuates the hatch and rear dolor unlock.. I rarely lock my doors and even leave the windows down i am pretty sure the 2000 RR is not on the preferred list of cars to steal or break in to i never leave anything in it and in areas prone to break in like trail heads, i just leave it wide open with nothing in it , i can lock it down but rarely do

Premium Member

Great...i guess, but how have you turned off any security? all you've done is disconnect the latches, the BeCM still thinks they're there...no? It still could passive immobilise if the BeCM decides to test for a keyfob. I know the security system perhaps can fill one with dread but keep on top of the latches and that's pretty much it.
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

Premium Member

That's brilliant... Until the drivers key lock fails, or the rod comes off inside the door, and you've locked yourself out... with no remote to unlock the door for you to get back in again.
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008

me again , the only way to activate the security it through the latches and the fob (i think) both are not dead now, if the driver side door lock fails I guess I would try a coat hanger like the good ole days, bottom line the locks were failing, ghost activating all the time.. I was living in fear of them going into supper lock and stranding me who knows where having spend more on a new brain/tow than the car was worth....one can always buy new actuators, this was my approach because I didn't want to spend the money ... i forget but i think parts where $500 each x 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.