P38 Off Road VIDEO - P38's are AWSOME off road!
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P38 Off Road VIDEO - P38's are AWSOME off road!

Premium Member

P38 Off Road VIDEO - P38's are AWSOME off road!

Went off roading today, first time in the P38 - WOW!!

See my Vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EepE-ndzqXE

Kicked my passenger out with a camera and got this filmed today. This hole was catching a lot of the Suzuki's out with unforgiving suspension. I just went in nice and slow so it didnt nose dive and crawled out again. The Traction Control didnt even need to kick in.

I tackled some major side slopes, the EAS was having a good old time with wheels hanging in the air - I must have been VERY close to the limit, all I could think about was the cost of repairing a rolled RR!

Downhill slopes, maybe I should re-phrase that - Cliffs! P38 handled them with ease, the only prob being grounding out on the side steps as it went over the edge (thats how steep it was!) Going against all tuition, decided to use the brake and I found the ABS delt with the situation perfectly. Even 1st Low would have been too fast for the situation.

Uphill Cliffs, not too great, as before, would ground out on the side steps and loose momentum, the only way other people were doing it was with the front wheels in the air as they crested (which i didnt fancy!) Fairly limited traction on the loose surface with road biased tyres on.

Ruts - no problem, I was supprised the spoiler stayed intact after one section I missjudged. It seemed to take a beating, obviously the suspension was on high...

Ditches & Ridges - all i can say is ETC and EAS are FANTASTIC. I could tackle anything that the mods could, and if the mods didnt have lockers they would fall behind. All this in a standard Rangie!

Thanks to Andy Cunningham who told me about it, he was taking his Dakar for a spin - now there's a machine!

Rangie Sport dove in a hole, poor guy, the rest of the morning for some was spent trying to pull him out! He burst a tyre somehow, I have to get an Air Jack - how cool!

1999 4.6 HSE Blenheim Silver

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    great vids Dan, where is that site? or is it a secret?

Glad to see another UK range rover going off road, we were in westminster yesterday, and some of the looks of discust we got for driving a dirty range rover, priceless!!!!!!!!
    99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    2008 smart for two
    69 Dodge Charger (On shopping List!)

Premium Member
    Hey Pete,

It was at Oxley Shaw, which is near Reading, about 50/60 miles from you in T.W I used to go off roading in my classic at the Hopfarm in Paddock Wood which is close to you.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    ignore him dan, he obviously has a business which is doing sooooo bad he has to resort to spamming for business!

I didnt know that i could go off road at paddock wood, but i did go to the war and peace show the other weekend, which was great, some gorgeous little landies there (they werent all keen on my p38 though, i got the feeling that driving anything post WW2 wasnt acceptable!)

I know oxley shaw, might have to get over there some time this autumn, maybe organise a rangerovers.net uk meet?
    99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    2008 smart for two
    69 Dodge Charger (On shopping List!)

Premium Member
    A meet there would be cool, we can try and get something organised...

i've been going to the War & Peace show since i was 9 years old, its been getting worse every year so i didnt go this year.
    Its so big now that they police everything you do, i wouldnt be supprised if they've stopped letting people go off roading there. I usually sneak in on an evening and go round the course. i must admit i havent done that in a year or two now though.

I heard that they are only going to do one more show next year then thats it. I'll probably go to that one.
    Your right, if its not circa 1945 they arent interested, where as it used to be turn up have a play for a week and then the public used to be in on the weekend. But it usedt o be half the size.

I remember a few years ago a couple of young guys drowned in the river at the back, they were messing around drunk i think with loads of clothes on and couldnt get out. Also some people had a bbq INSIDE their caravan and it burnt to the ground, and someone set light to their Rio (big truck) with loads of gas cannisters in the back and the Fire Brigade werent happy.

All culminating in massive insurance costs for the hop farm i think, hence them charging extortionate fees to get in, and to exhibit.

Re: P38 Off Road VIDEO - P38's are AWSOME off road!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_UK_1984
    I have to get an Air Jack - how cool!

Nice videos Dan, looks like fun. Would be good if we could all get a meet toghether sometime The one thing that made me cringe was seeing how close the side steps on your RR came to the ground, you were close to bending them, or so it looked

Also, is it just me or is that air jack looking like it is totally destroying, well, bending the front door on the RR Sport?! ouch if it is!! :O

-Wills
    98 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Auto
    Faultmate MSV
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...kon80/sig4.jpg

JUNIOR ROVER
    "Also, is it just me or is that air jack looking like it is totally destroying, well, bending the front door on the RR Sport?! ouch if it is!! :O "

It's just you.
    All RRS have that styling feature, it's like a mud flap for doors, and helps minimise the dirt sprayed from the tyre being directed over the side of the car.
    A touch more stylish than sidesteps on a 38A.

Here you see both the 'door mupflap' and the RRS version of side steps.
    http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums ... %20016.jpg

Hope you can rest easy now :-))

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Good boy..nice and stready.
    Let the EAS and ABS/TC do its thing and they are a very capable vehicle.
    Love a copy of those vids, pm me?
    TTFN
    MJS
    Mornington, Vic. AU
    1996 HSE (Rosie) - Play toy
    1998 Ford Falcon (Rocket) - work vehicle
    2003 VW Kombi (Ruby) - family bus

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    It's just you.
    All RRS have that styling feature, it's like a mud flap for doors, and helps minimise the dirt sprayed from the tyre being directed over the side of the car.
    But if you look at the mud flappy bit for the front door its totally out of alignment with the rear one?? Im pretty sure on all the RRS ive seen it was a nice straight line all the way along the vehicle. Also, if you look at the top of the door, in the gap between the body and the door, does it not look alot smaller than the gap between the body and the top of the rear door??

-Wills
    98 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Auto
    Faultmate MSV
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...kon80/sig4.jpg

Premium Member
    I bent the side steps previous to this vid, but they were so rotten, just standing on the straightened them out. I will replace them in a couple of months, they were looking a bit tatty anyway.

The air jack was actually pushing that plastic moulding up, not bowing it out. It wasnt positioned correctly but I wasnt going to be one to point out the error of their ways, i thought the 15 guys standing round could have figured that one out!

Slow and Steady wins the race. Most of the mods went hairing into the holes and out the other side, mainly because they needed to! Without wanting to sound big headed i'd like to think I have some skill and can get my car through most things although i'm the first to admit i get it wrong often! But at 22 i'm still learning. We can all drive 2 tonn of rangie at a hole at speed and make it through!

Dan

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: P38 Off Road VIDEO - P38's are AWSOME off road!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_UK_1984
    Thanks to Andy Cunningham who told me about it, he was taking his Dakar for a spin - now there's a machine!

Rangie Sport dove in a hole, poor guy, the rest of the morning for some was spent trying to pull him out! He burst a tyre somehow, I have to get an Air Jack - how cool!
    Glad you enjoyed it...

Don't get an air jack... there's nowhere under a P38A that's strong enough to use one.

Premium Member
    So my vid is in the top 100 most viewed Automotive videos! How cool is that. Everyone should post their P38 vids, there arent enough on there.

JUNIOR ROVER
    Great videos. I attribute your success not only to the power of the P38 but also to your exceptional driving prowess. Nicely done and let's see some more vides on there!
    Jeff C. / West Des Moines, IA

2000 4.6 HSE Zambezi Silver - "Roy" - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2307331/1

Premium Member
    Thanks Jeff, lol.

I'd love to have enough money that I could perhaps be a bit more daring with the P38, or maybe even have one as an off road toy. But for the moment slowly does it.
    I did bend the side steps though, I think that was more because their framework had rusted through though. I'll buy some more next pay day, i've seen reasonable after market ones for under 200.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.