Head gasket replacement prices, DIY's and indies
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head gasket replacement prices, DIY's and indies

Head gasket replacement prices, DIY's and indies

Well I just picked up a 2nd P38 (02 99K) and after much cleaning I have the A-typical head gasket seep by #1 cylinder. No internal leak, exhaust or pressure in coolant. Car runs flawless otherwise.

I have much more experience with Saab 9-5 4cyl engines than the 4.6L. My last Saab had a head gasket leak and after several quotes north of $1500 I said screw it and replaced it myself. Arguably a bit easier on a inline 4 than a pushrod V8.

The only indie in my whole state of New Mexico (one with a good rep) wants $2500. Unreal imo. Price includes sending head to machine shop, all new gaskets not just head, and replacement of wires and coil packs, etc, etc.

So I spent the last 2 days googling every write-up I can find on DIY replacement and I'm trying to convince myself to do it (I think i can get it apart ok, but getting it back together is another story). I ran into a problem with the Saab (misaligned timing) and had to tear it apart a 2nd time. My last experience with push rods was air cooled VW's about 25 years ago.

Not sure if I'm asking for advice, a pat on the back (you can do it) or possibly any indie mechanic referrals for Colorado or Texas (anything within 400 miles of me).

Woe is my P38.
    2002 4.6 HSE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Head gasket replacement prices, DIY's and indies

This job is no big deal! You really can do this, for me the decision is time verses money. In each case I have done the work with out issue..JUST DO IT..

Scotty
    Scotty, head womble ~ "Make Good Use of Bad Rubbish."
    http://www.becmdoctor.com
    1996 Rangie; Upgraded lights/badges new Top Hat Motor
    1999 Rangie; Callaway Epson Green completey Rebuilt
    2002 Rangie; Black on Black Restored to Original Condition

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I agree completely with Scotty as far a DIY in concerned. I have never had to do mine but would recommend using studs instead of the factory bolts when putting it back together. I might suggest getting your heads checked for flatness and maybe the camshaft as well. Being a push rod motor I donīt think you even touch the timing gear - just pull the rods out.
    The main thing is just take your time.

The indie you mention sounds a bit over the top.

Rowan
    Donīt shoot the messenger . . . this one shoots back.
    If in doubt use a bigger hammer, put your foot down harder or pull the trigger again . . .
    1995 4.6hse. Bosch3 injectors air-tank plumbed for tyre inflation. Drilled rotors (Cquence Extreme pattern) and ceramic pads. Tornado chips.

I'm leaning the DIY direction. Need to go thru an inventory of needed tools for the job (forgetting if there's any call for specialty Rover tools). Removing the head looks quite easy. It's the plethora of bits and pieces that need to be removed before (and replaced) that looks daunting. I might build a parts shelf and then use it counter clockwise for example when removing all the bits. Appreciate the advice.

Definitely plan to get the heads machined and gone thru. I assume I'm looking at $250+ per head for that? Plus another $200 for studs, and the same for gasket kit? Might as well replace coil packs and plugs.
    2002 4.6 HSE

SOLIHULL ROVER

i've done headgaskets on Saabs. I had an 1981 900T. I was doing 140 mph and the turbo dumped a bit to much boost into the engine and popped the headgasket. It wasn't too hard, but it took awhile due to the turbo manifold and extra piping.

I've stuck V8 headgaskets in as well. its not to hard. just take your time, keep the rods and tappets separated so they go back together right.

my head work for both heads was under 200... dont pay 500 if thats the quote you got... my price included valve seals...
    '02 Range Rover Westminster 4.6-
    '99 Range Rover HSE 4.6- getting the part-out treatment
    '92 Porsche 968 3.0 16 valve
    '11 Heap Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
    my head work for both heads was under 200... dont pay 500 if thats the quote you got... my price included valve seals...
    I was estimating high I guess trying to figure out the indies $2500 quote. Even if I include machining, gaskets, and plug/coil replacement, studs that's only $800-1000 or so in parts. Meaning $1500-1700 labor? Guessing high at $100 an hour for labor that still seems ludicrous.
    2002 4.6 HSE

Well after looking at my engine this a.m. over a cup of joe I'm going to dive into it. Many questions.

One of which after reading several write ups on head removal does the a/c compressor and power steering pump need to be removed completely or is there room to slide them out of the way with hoses attached?

Lastly any write-ups or tips on using the newer head studs?

Biggest issue I see is rusted bolts and plastic connectors breaking when trying to remove.
    2002 4.6 HSE

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I did my intake manifold/valley gasket a couple of weeks ago and did not have any trouble with plastic bits breaking. I stacked all my pieces on the garage floor (together with their bolts etc) so I had some sort of sequence.
    Just watch out for sharp corners when getting you hands in there - mine engine now has a couple of red pieces that werenīt there before.

I donīt know if I would replace the coils and leads. Are they giving trouble or worn out?

Studs only need to be tightened to about 65 ft/lbs - others can correct this. I have always wondered if the bolt technique of 90 degrees then 90 degrees again contributes to head problems.

Rowan
    Donīt shoot the messenger . . . this one shoots back.
    If in doubt use a bigger hammer, put your foot down harder or pull the trigger again . . .
    1995 4.6hse. Bosch3 injectors air-tank plumbed for tyre inflation. Drilled rotors (Cquence Extreme pattern) and ceramic pads. Tornado chips.

ac compressor and power steering pump just need to be detached from the motor and then laid to the side, hoses still attached. super easy.
    '02 Range Rover Westminster 4.6-
    '99 Range Rover HSE 4.6- getting the part-out treatment
    '92 Porsche 968 3.0 16 valve
    '11 Heap Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 HEMI

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.