Funny transmission shifting
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Funny transmission shifting

FRESHMAN ROVER

Funny transmission shifting

My 97 Range Rover SE is acting peculiar when shifting. In normal driving (sport button not pushed) it shifts fine in 1st thru 3rd, then doesn't seem to want to go into 4th. However, when I push the sport button, it will drop into 4th gear no problem. But, it also seems that when in sport mode, I have to manually shift the gears, it won't kick down into a lower gear. This may be unrelated, but when I apply the brakes I also get the abs light, parking brake light, and traction control light on the instrument cluster for a second or so, then it goes away. Accompanying the lights is a buzzing sound. Something strange is going on, not sure where to start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Funny transmission shifting

What you describe in sport, almost sounds like what happens in manual (only works when in low). Could it be it thinks it's in low?

Looks like two different problems. The ABS-light comes on when the pressure gets to low (<140bar), which means the ABS-pump can't keep up with the demand of the brake-assist. Either your accumulator doesn't hold charge anymore (can easily be replaced) or the pump itself is worn and doesn't build up pressure fast enough.
    As for the shifting, start by checking the fluid and replace if necessary. If that doesn't change anything, look for a bad ground to the gearbox ECU.
    It certainly isn't normal that you can't get into 4th in normal but it works in sport, usually it's the other way around because in sport the ECU will try to keep the revs up. Same for downshifting, so could indeed be something in the sport/manual button.

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper': daily, GENIII, 4.6
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': new addition
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': GF daily, now 4.0
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie': TR2 racer

FRESHMAN ROVER

The truck is definitely in high range, when I put it in low you really know it. I need to change the fluid anyway, and I'll check the manual for the location of the ground to the gearbox. I'm getting no related faults relating to this either.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Yes, but I meant that it may *think* it's in low range.

What does the dash say when you press the button?

FRESHMAN ROVER

when I push the button, the sport button lights up and on the display it says sport, then has an s by the gear I am in. All of that seems to be working ok.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok, a little more detail. I just took it on the interstate, and it will shift into 4th, albeit when the rpms are above 3000, but it will shift. However, when I got home, I put it in Low Range to test it out, and I noticed no difference. The display doesn't say "low", I hear no audible tones, there doesn't seem to be any difference at all. In other words, I don't think the truck is going into Low Range. I am getting no faults related to this. Anybody have something like this happen?

The transfer case is controlled by a separate ECU. They are known to fail and the motor for the gearchange itself can also stick, especially when not used for a while. Plenty of threads about those problems. But I'd concentrate on the autobox first. Since you hadn't noticed you can't engage low before, I'm guessing you don't use it, so wont miss it anyway.
    One thing that could explain both problems, is a bad connection between the tranfer box ECU and the autoboc ECU. They share data about high/low (obviously), but also park/neutral (to allow shifting between high and low) and sport/manual.
    From RAVE:
    "The high/low signal to the Auto Gear Box Control Unit comes from the High range status lamp. If the Auto Gear Box Control Unit does not recieve the range information, then an incorrect gear change mode could be selected, i.e. manual rather than sport in high range and vice versa in low range. Also, the shift strategy is different between the economy modes of high and low and so poor shift quality could result."
    So Elbekko could have had it right from the start!

Filip

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'll check that out, another thing....when I move the stick over to low range, the indicator lights still light up on the High Range side, not on the low range side.

Co.Clare Ireland / Currently Living In Florida

I can almost guarantee you that your problem is a dirty MAF sensor.
    My rig suffered from the exact same symptoms when I bought it and I tried everything to fix it including changing out the transmission fluid and filter but to no avail.
    On my rig the symptoms were I'd have to drive 78mph on the interstate before she would shift up into 4th and the revs between gears were always really high.
    Then one day I took off the Mass Airflow Sensor and upon inspection the sensor was covered in dirt so I sprayed it clean with carb cleaner,left it in the sun to dry out for 20mins and then put it back together and shes been perfect ever since.
    2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Niagara Grey
    On Bilstein shocks & Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T
    For EAS + BeCM contact the Doctor www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks, hope that will help. I will check that this evening. You would think that if there is an issue with the MAF, it would show a fault?

Co.Clare Ireland / Currently Living In Florida

Not necessarilly or at least it didn't on mine.Its worth checking as its a straight forward fix before getting into some of the more serious stuff.I'd advise you also to change out your transmission fluid and filter if it hasn't already been taken care of.
    2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Niagara Grey
    On Bilstein shocks & Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T
    For EAS + BeCM contact the Doctor www.becmdoctor.com

Definitely something wrong with the H-gate then. The lights should flash in the range you selected while the change is taking place, just like the indicators on the EAS rideheight selector.

FRESHMAN ROVER

As time has gone on, and I have driven the Rover more I do think when in "normal" mode, it thinks it is in "Sport" mode. When on the interstate, it will shift into 4th gear eventually when I get up to around 55 or so. It does this consistently, and if I want to put it into 4th gear sooner, I just hit the mode button which apparently puts it into manual, and it will shift right then. Anyway, I still cannot get it into Low Range. It makes no effort at all, no lights, no sound nothing, when I put it in gear in the Low Range side, it continues to be in High Range. So...I found a 98 in a pick and save yard, and pulled a lot of parts, 2 blower motors, fuse block and others as well as a BECM ($20) But....is it as simple as just replacing the one I have, or will I run into some other issues. Assuming the one I bought has no problems, will I have any issue using my key? I already have an alarm fault right now which I don't even notice, but I assume the alarm doesn't work. Anybody have any suggestions?

Premium Member

Sounds like a good deal you got on the parts...

I don't understand why you're planning on replacing the BECM though? Both the transmission, and then transfer case (that does the high-low ratio change) are controlled by their own ECU's.

The earlier P38's had issues with the transfer case motor sticking, and burning out the ECU. Apparently the newer models have a better heatsink to stop the frying of the ECU.

Cheers,
    Marty
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008