Head Gasket Blown...
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket Blown...

Head Gasket Blown...

So, I overheated due to low coolant and need a new headgasket... I have no idea how long I drove on the red light, it could've been a split second or a few miles (the lack of concentration is what I get for going to work hungover)

The car sucks down coolant, vibrates pretty good on startup and motor has a funny sound until warmed up. Is this coolant just being burned off in the block? Or possible a loose sleeve?

I need your guys advice on what to do here.... with 100K on the car. The car otherwise is in great shape, EAS works like a champ, newer tires and brakes, exterior interior all in great shape... the only issue with the car is saggy headliner and non-working heated seats which we all know is a common problem.

Do I replace the head gasket knowing there also may need to be head work or slipped sleeve?

Do I replace the motor with another used one? Does this require a reprogram of the BECM?

Or do I cut my losses and sell the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Re: Head Gasket Blown...

just going through this now. Heres what you should do:
    if you can, take the heads off and inspect the block, send the heads off to be checked. should cost around 200 dollars to be shaved and have a valve job if they are usable. If they aren't, you can buy some from Scotty. new headgaskets and you're good to go.

What i did was buy another RR with the same motor. Im just now going through that motor completely and putting it in mine to ensure there isn't any overheating damage that is unseen. im going to pull mine out and go through it as well and possibly sell it or keep for a rainy day, im not sure which.

Good luck, you're not the only one so hang in there!
    '02 Range Rover Westminster 4.6-
    '99 Range Rover HSE 4.6- getting the part-out treatment
    '92 Porsche 968 3.0 16 valve
    '11 Heap Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 HEMI

Thanks - any idea what the noise could be in the motor at startup that eventually goes away? Also, the vibration at startup till rpms drop? Noting, these are symptoms that came immediately after the red light showed its ugly face...

You really are not giving us much to go on so we would just be taking uneducated stabs. To be blunt, you won't know anything until you tear down the engine for inspection. Being in a fog you could be at either end of the scale. It could be a simple head gasket or it could be a full melt down with burnt valves, hosed liners and/or a cracked block. Either way it will be cheaper to fix or even replace the engine if you do it yourself than to ditch the car as you would only get a couple grand.

Running rough/vibration would be lack of a couple of cylinders firing because of no/low compression and flooding. Coolant does not burn, you you are either pumping it into the oil sump or into the exhaust.
    Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

As already said, tear the heads off and see.
    If the liners look good, get the heads pressure checked an surfaced. Relap all valves yourself and put new seals in.
    ARP studs, new gaskets, install, fill fluids, check everything over, drive.
    A P38 with a bad motor is worth @$500 to $1000. So its up to you.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 325hp built Chevy 5.3l LSx motor and transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just going through the same decision over here in the UK. Blown gasket, using coolant, staeming from head gasket on R bank. Runs lumpy on first startup overnight which i assume to be burning off the water.

As far as understand it all the early v8s will eventually get the porous block problem , its inevitable. Mine has gone at 185,000 miles. So my reasoning is that with the lifters beginning to clatter even if its just a head gasket at some point i'm going to have to replace the block. Labour charges are for a head change are only 80% of an engine swap so i'm putting in a remanufactured engine, lock stock and barrell. I'll take the old engine apart for curiosities sake.
    Regards
    Paul C
    Paul Cundy
    ex 12 seater LWB
    ex classic RR 3.5 2 door
    ex classic RR 3.9
    current
    RR 1995 P38A, owned from new, 160k miles, LPG
    2001 Noble M12 race car, 3.5 twin turbo
    1984 JCB 3CX backhoe loader
    Bultaco Sherpa 340 199B
    Bultaco Frontera 370 MK11

Ok so I have heads off the motor and visually to the eye headgasket looks ok... is it possible to have a blown headgasket that "looks" ok? I had a lot of coolant in my oil and looked predominantly in cylinder 1 closest to the front of thr car. If its not tgr headgasket, what else could it be? Does the coolant that runs thru the water pump also go thru the timing chain compartment? Is ot possible that leaked into the motor? Need help guys any advice is much appreciated! Wrote this on my phone so forgive me for spellong

If you had coolant in your oil and overheating then you had a blow head gasket. An oil/coolant breach anywhere else but a headgasket would not cause overheating. Head gasket failures can be very difficult to actually see.

Ok so replaced the headgasket to spec and i am still getting coolant into the motor and draining out of the oil pan?? Where should i go next with this?

SO in two days you pulled the heads, had them pressure tested and checked for warpage AND did a full gasket job? Did you inspect the sleeves and block while the heads were in the shop?

well it was a diy job, so I had pulled the heads and had them shaved , relapped valves and did a full gasket job. The only way I tested the block and heads was done visually and then filled with coolant for 24 hrs to see if anything leaked, not a drop... although a pressure test on the heads is something I should have done I dont think it applies to a leak through the motor without the motor ever being cranked over so far?.....

Is there any way for coolant to enter the motor through the timing cover/water pump?

Confused.
    So, you have not started the rig, but filled with coolant then looked at the oil?
    Did you change the oil and filter after the HG job?

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 325hp built Chevy 5.3l LSx motor and transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

No I had not changed the oil yet, after the HG job, to test - I left the oil drain plug out and filled the motor with coolant and found some dripping out of the oil pan...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by cunpr View Post
    Just going through the same decision over here in the UK. Blown gasket, using coolant, staeming from head gasket on R bank. Runs lumpy on first startup overnight which i assume to be burning off the water.

As far as understand it all the early v8s will eventually get the porous block problem , its inevitable. Mine has gone at 185,000 miles. So my reasoning is that with the lifters beginning to clatter even if its just a head gasket at some point i'm going to have to replace the block. Labour charges are for a head change are only 80% of an engine swap so i'm putting in a remanufactured engine, lock stock and barrell. I'll take the old engine apart for curiosities sake.
    Regards
    Paul C
    Well as unbelievable as it may sound i have just put a can of this

http://www.k-seal.co.uk/

in mine and its stopped the coolant loss, the top hose pressurisation and the steaming from under the exhaust manifold. I am keeping fingers crossed but it looks like its worked! MUCH cheaper than a new engine.
    Regards
    Paul C
    Paul Cundy
    ex 12 seater LWB
    ex classic RR 3.5 2 door
    ex classic RR 3.9
    current
    RR 1995 P38A, owned from new, 160k miles, LPG
    2001 Noble M12 race car, 3.5 twin turbo
    1984 JCB 3CX backhoe loader
    Bultaco Sherpa 340 199B
    Bultaco Frontera 370 MK11

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Freshman.

If you have coolant in oil, as you say, yes the answear might be to change the front oilcover gasket.
    Per Rave workshop manual, this is the answear for that problem.
    Also, you have to be sure that the valley gaskets was installed perfectly.
    I used a super thin layer of hylomar sealant around the coolant channel only, installing the inlet manifoil and valley gasket just to be sure.

And I must say, your a fast worker. I changed the head gaskets on my RRp38 4.6 2000 mod. last summer, I used a bit more than 24 hours But the result Is excellent.

Best regards Brage
    Ride Range Rover p38 4,6 Hse year 2000 LPG Dual fuel