Alternator fault
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternator fault

SOLIHULL ROVER

Alternator fault

I'm driving down the interstate right now and the alternator fault popped on. Do you think its the battery or the alternator? I'm still driving. I tried searching but its hard to search and drive at the same time and I cant look at my rave manual right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide App

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Re: Alternator fault

Well since it says "alternator fault" I would guess alternator.

One of two things are happening. Either the alternator is failing and has dropped below threshold ot hte feed line between it and the BeCM is chafed.

As with all electrical faults run through the electrical stickie above and nail down the root issue.
    Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Found a voltage tester in the town I'm in. It showing 11.26 volts with the engine running. Bought a new alternator and I'm swapping it out in the parking lot. Amazing I found one. I just drove 95 miles on battery alone.

SOLIHULL ROVER
    New alternator in. Fault gone. What a pain in the but with field tools.

Autolight 13726? Been there, done that. It was only the second time my factory tool kit had ever been used. I was about 800 miles from home and thankfully had the lifetime warranty receipt from my last replacement.

SOLIHULL ROVER

I just have a bunch of tools, duplicates basically, which I have collected out of junkyards and other tool kits. I used them to build a decent tool kit to keep in my off road vehicles.

I bought a O'Reilly's brand with a lifetime warranty. $262 out the door. They swapped the pulley over for me as well. The lower bolt was hard to get off. It was starting to corrode into the bolt hole. I bought a little tube of anti-seeze in case i have to remove it again someday. took about 30 minutes to get the old one out. and 10 to get the new one in. I was only 425 miles from my real tool kit, on my way to Wyoming for Thanksgiving.

The old alternator had 122K miles on it.

Funny enough, i think my gas mileage went back up. I may re-install those "performance" coil packs back in to see if the new found electical power helps those perform better.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I had to change mine out a few months ago, but was lucky, I started hearing the bearing screaming so knew it was gonna fail soon. I switched it out soon as the voltage started dropping and I noticed starting was becoming an issue. I ended up paying about the same through AutoZone, and wasn't bad at all to switch out for me either, although the AutoZone one came with a pulley already on it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

man, you got pretty far on just the battery. Although alternator was still giving charge if it was poushing 11.7V

SOLIHULL ROVER

yeah. i checked when we got to the store. I borrowed a volt meter and checked it while the engine was running. it was only putting out 11.5 volts. so just barely enough to keep me from getting stuck in Eastern Montana, where they think a Range Rover is made by Toyota.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by getlost4x4 View Post
    yeah. i checked when we got to the store. I borrowed a volt meter and checked it while the engine was running. it was only putting out 11.5 volts. so just barely enough to keep me from getting stuck in Eastern Montana, where they think a Range Rover is made by Toyota.
    Haha yep, I do insurance claims for extended warranty companies and work at home (80% of the time) I do deal with some of the guys in montana. Usually its just a dodge or a jeep claim out there. Never had a Rover claim from montana haha. THey are very nice people out there tho from who I've worked with.

You may have hit on something. You'd be how much the MPG is impacted by a weak alternator or failing alternator bearing.

My matching coil pack upgrade has been flawless with improved MPG, better pick up and smoother running. I have about 15K miles on my setup and no regrets for playing guinea pig. I still have a second set of wires from them to install. I hated the red colour and boots they used on the original set. You received different boots due to my original testing.

SOLIHULL ROVER

hey a quick write up on the swap. Since I have had a few questions about it. I didn't take any pictures while doing the swap. Sorry

Unhook the positive side of your battery.

You need a 13mm deep socket socket. There are two bolts holding the alternator in. One at about the 8 o'clock position and one about the 5 o'clock position.

The belt tensioner is right below the alternator. Use a 15mm wrench to push the tensioner to the right. while the tensioner is pushed over you can remove the belt off the alternator pulley.

I let the pressure off the cooling system by loosening the cap on the radiator overflow bottle. Then I loosed the upper radiator hose at the engine and pulled it up a little. This gave me better access to the lower altenator bolt. I then removed that bolt.

Unhook the power cable, 12mm and the ignition wire 10mm.

Pry the alternator out of its spot.

Install the new one in reverse order.

I found a deep socket for the lower bolt is the easiest way to get to the bolt. Its a tight fit, and it was really annoying getting it out. My bolts were even seezed a bit. It took some force to get them free. when I reinstalled the bolts I put some anti-seeze on the threads.