Range Rovers Forum banner

Guess whats coming next, Ls powered P38

207K views 874 replies 46 participants last post by  howling60 
#1 · (Edited)
For sale, @30k mile 4.6, Crower camshaft, .020 over, blah blah blah....;-)
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Well, you may ask, if he isn't putting the 4.6 back in there, what the heck IS he putting back in there:think:
As soon as the "old" motor sells, the "new" one will be picked up.....:thumb:
Screw it, enough talk over the years, time for action IMHO.

Martin

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Guess what's coming next....

Got a local(ish) guy that is needing a motor now, so he has first dibs.
Spoil sport......LM7 or L33 for now, but all other motors of the same Generation will be the same.
Considered a LQ9, but then saw the price hike and the small bump in BHP and Tq and decided not worth it to me.
LM7 is about the same as our quad cam Mk3, and it gets up and goes rather nicely!
Martin

#4 ·

cool.

I've kind of been considering the BMW 4.4L V8 since it should bolt up with a bell housing change, and maybe work with mine. don't know though. I'm not in desperate need for an engine. I'd like to put something different into it anyway.

#6 ·

That's the one;)
Will see if there is a L33 first, if not then the LM7 gets shipped this way.
Can get them at a decent price, including all accessories, o2 sensors, custom wiring harness and custom tuned ECM. First will be the guiney pig, then the price will go down from there....
The price of the M62 would make it prohibitive IMHO.
Same power as the LM7, but 3 times as much hassle.....
Martin

#15 ·

Quick update.
Been trying to find a complete donor to use for this little endeavor, and not having much luck.
Found a 1999 Silverado with the LM7 in it, for $1200 with a bad tranny. By the time I had a chance to call, it was sold.
Found motors on their own, but prefer a complete rig to rob parts from if needed. Those cables etc add up fast when you have to buy them one at a time!
Will keep looking, and then keep everyone informed.
Poor old gal is sat in the driveway with an "empty" feeling.
Martin

#15 ·

New motor, wiring harness, ecm and bell housing should be getting picked up Monday afternoon, on my way home.
It will be getting stripped, bored over, and fully rebuilt using a Comp camshaft, valve springs and retainers, which should put me at @400BHP at the crank. Compression will be regular or mid grade compatible.
I was thinking of just dropping the motor in, but the dear wife said to rebuild it, so I will:thumb: .
Hoping the tranny will hold up, at least for a while:pray:
Will post some pictures when I get my grubby mitts on the "new" motor.

Martin

#16 ·

Now the proud owner of a 108k mile LM7 engine and accessories.
Picked it up last night on my way back home. Got all accessories for it, and a brand new in the box flywheel, as the seller couldn't find the one he had....Shame to weld onto it, but oh well!
Came out of a 2001 , by the vin number.
Will see what I get started this week while I am at home.

Martin

#18 ·

Looking forward to the updates!!

#19 ·

Heading outside to do some preliminary measuring, and to measure the stroke to be 110% sure it is a 5.3 and not a 4.8.
No other way to tell, as the blocks are stamped for both! Stupid idea IMHO.
Will also need to make some lifting plates, as none come with the engine.
Looking to mock up an adapter between the ZF tranny and the 4L60E bellhousing before the teardown of the motor. Will also measure for a bushing for the torque converter to the LM7 crank, unless I am lucky enough that the RR TC is a good fit into the LM7 crank! (yeah right....)
Looking at putting a mild cam into the Lm engine, which will put it at right around 400bhp at the crank, and 38o Ft Lbs of torque. A gentle right foot will be required for the tranny to have a happy life me thinks!

Martin

#20 ·

Bushing measured to be lathed out tomorrow I hope.
Flexplate/flywheel will be sorted tomorrow too, No welding involved:thumb:
I was nervous about throwing the new Chevy flywheel out of balance, so went a different route.
The motor is now basically a short block, with no heads etc on it.
Will get the flexplate/torque converter issues ironed out, then I know how thick the adapter plate needs to be.
After that, engine will be stripped and measured for being in specs. Will be bored anyways, but hoping to save a crank grind if possible. After measuring, all parts can be ordered for @400bhp at the crank.
Seriously wondering about a 235k mile transmission now.......

Martin

#22 ·

Well, the LM7 now is attached to a P38 torque converter!
After much ponedering, I made a flexplate of sorts.
It is a disk out of 16gauge, 12.5" OD 7.75" ID. Drilled for the LM7 flywheel, and the P38 TC. Nuts and washers welded to the rear face so the whole shebang can be bolted to the flywheel from the front (facing the engine) once the TC is bolted to it.
Ordered a bushing to be made up on a lathe at the local machine shop, will be ready next week. I just went ahead and ordered a 6" length of it just in case someone has a wild idea about doing this too.
Will need a spacer between the 4L60 bell housing and the motor, as the TC is hitting the rear of the bell housing. That and an adapter to bolt the bell housing to the ZF4 tranny, and it will be ready to bolt together. Probably going to see about getting the tranny rebuilt too, 235k miles on it, and it will now be asked to cope with @400bhp! Not good me thinks....

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

Martin

#23 ·

Day 1 over.
Need to mock up the adapter and spacer, then get them to a CAD file, then get them milled in aluminum I think.
As it sits right now....Along with one of my helpers!

Attachments

#24 ·

Very nice :clap:...

#26 ·

Got the Heep to get ready for a trip to www.smorr.net on Friday, so that may be it for a day or twenty. Although if I get time to make a template or two on Saturday when Cheryl's new washer and dryer are getting delivered, the engine can be stripped and dropped off for machine work:thumb:
Anyone know of a GOOD tranny rebuilder in the States? Not sure if my local guy has dealt with the ZF's before. Some recommended upgrades from those "in the know", to make it at least have a chance to hold up to @twice the original power?

Martin

#26 ·

Nice chunk of 6061 t651 ordered. Will get enough to make 3 or 4 adapters for the bellhousing to ZF tranny. Debating on aluminum or steel for the engine to bellhousing spacer. Steel will hold the dowels better, of which there are two.
Debating making a kit with the adapter and spacers and a custom flexplate, but will see what genuine interest there is first, as I have been stuck with product before unfortunately.
The wonder of the internet, ordering supplies on a major holiday....

Martin

#27 ·

I have a great transmission/axle/driveline guy I use a lot here in Yucca Valley, never let me down and everything he does has at least a 3yr/36k warranty! Although I am helping someone from this forum with a little motor swap this Saturday, I could quite easily and economically be persuaded to arrange a slight unexplained fire, that way he would probably sell you his tranny and fancy pants transfer case cheap! Nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean, know what I mean! lol

#28 ·

Hey take it easy pal...

#31 ·

Got some more research to do, but I think I have it 90% figured out right now. Of course that could all change when it fires up and the tranny goes into limp mode...:lol:
Will be making notes of what inputs each system needs from the engine ECM, then duplicating those signals one way or another. Luckily lots of other folks have listed inputs/outputs from the becm to and from the various other ecm's, so that helps a lot.
I stripped the motor to a bare block this evening, and am pretty impressed with the strength of the botom end. Will be getting degreased tomorrow then dropped off for machining work.
I will probably be doing another LSx swap into a TJ later this year/early next year, and am actually looking forward to the simplicity of that! I also looked at LQ9's etc, but for ease I went with a 5.3 LM7 for now. After that, pretty much any LSx will use the same parts etc.

Martin

#32 ·

My race truck needs max horsepower so we went LQ9 (800 horse in a 2500 lb truck) but a 5.3 with a cam should be perfect in a p38. I think I'll let you be my guinea pig as the electronics scare me a bit.

P.S still interested in some sliders, just busy with the race truck now.

#33 ·

Time is also my enemy right now too mate, so no problem on the sliders!
Will keep everyone posted on the deal, but looking at @380-400 hp at the crank.

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.