Range Rovers Forum banner

Rear differential help needed

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  shupack 
#1 ·
I have been chasing a whine in the rear of my 97 4.0SE for a while now.
I just changed the diff. oil again and this time found silver flakes in the oil. It was a very slight amount but don't know how much is too much .
I also notice a metalic clank when shifting from forward to reverse and back while my foot is solidly 0n the brake.
I would like a solid opinion from someone knowledgable about differentials
as to whether this diff is shot. If so what is your opinion on wrecking yard replacements. ( Car Cannibal etc.)
Hope there is an expert on the forum.
Thanks
Jim

#2 ·
I'm no expert Jim. I had a whine in my rear diff. It changed noise frequency depending on road speed.

I got it replaced but by the time my independent did the work it cost me £800 GBP. They showed me the diff oil that they took out before changing the diff and it had silver flakes as well as a colouration in the oil which was due to water contamination.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#3 ·
Jim, The " Clank" you hear is play in the hub spline. Land Rover had a recall a number of years ago. Their solution and mine ( I did the same repair). I removed the hub, used lots of Locktite number 648, put it all back together, let the locktite set for about two hours, problem solved.
If you'r gona do it yourself, the lrg. nut that holds the hub is a B...ch to get out, You have to loosen it with the wheels on the ground to hold the axle still. When you put it back together torque it to 198lbs.
The whine could very well be water contamination. I like to use synthetic diff. oil.

#4 ·
if you want a used unit, get ahold of Bill at Great Basin Rovers, He'll rebuild it with new brngs and set it up propperly, I'd be wary of one from a wrecker.

I blew mine up last spring, started with a whine, that turned into a "woogidawoogidawooogida...."

ended up ripping off 3 teeth before I replaced it.

#5 ·
thanks guys

Dennis, Richard & Zubi,
Thanks for the replys. Dennis How did you clean out the axle unit before reinstalling another differental unit?
I saw your post and pictures and you sure had a mess.
I thought my oil looked a strange color. Rather brownish so I will now check the vent hole and hose.
When I replace the diff. I will surely use the Red 648 locktite on the hub splines.
Does Great Basin Rovers Have a Web site? I am in Florida and must look for a fix close to home.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.