Step--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Step--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine

FRESHMAN ROVER

Step--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine

I am in search of a step-by-step procedure for the replacement of a Head Gasket on a Bosch Engine. I have seen the Engine Overhaul procedure on the Rave CD as well as the Unofficial guide here on this site. Is there one that is simple and by the numbers. For example, 1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 2 etc. I do not find the Rave CD to be user friendly. I do not want to just start removing parts and end up having removed things that did not need to be removed. Any direction to the right source would be appreciated.
    1999 Range Rover 4.0L SE (Bosch)
    2002 BMW Z3
    2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD Hybrid Premium Liquid Platinum
    1991 Range Rover Classic (current Project)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER

Re: Step--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine

i have not torn down a bosch motor. but the RAVE manual is usually spot on.

My advice is to follow RAVE. Even if you dont, what is the worse that can happen if you remove something you don't need to? The long and short is you are gutting the top and front of the engine down to the block. RAVE really is very detailed and very specific at each step necessary. It's not at all difficult. Take lots of pictures and stick everything in zip baggies and label.
    Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

SOLIHULL ROVER

the best advice i can give, i've rebuilt an AMC 360 V8. make sure you keep the rods and rocker arms in the same position in which they came out of.

Take your time. Its not hard, just time consuming. I've been into plenty of engines, if you are detailed and thorough it should be easy to put back together.

Take pictures with a digital camera to help you remember what to do. remember its cheaper to do it right then buy a new motor.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I think PaulP38A's guide could be useful combined with RAVE...

http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/engine-refresh/

1997 P38 4.0 SE
    Avalon Blue

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Cornerz View Post
    I think PaulP38A's guide could be useful combined with RAVE...

http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/engine-refresh/

Thanks for your responses and words of wisdom. Cornerz, Paul's write-up with photos is exactly what I was seeking for this project. The engine that he worked on is an exact replica of my vehicle. Not only does he provide the "how to" in removing the peripheral components, but also he provides a shopping list in preparation for this project. Moreover, the tools required lets me know that my toolbox needs some additions.

The last time that I tried to replace a head gasket, it was a disaster. The broken bolts, a friend with a torch and a welder, etc. I finally put all of the parts and screws/bolts in cardboard boxes and sent them with the vehicle to an auto shop. A few weeks later, I got my vehicle back. I swore that I would never do it again. Many years later, here I am considering trying it again. With the help that you have provided, it may just work!
    2002 BMW Z3

FRESHMAN ROVER

1997 P38 4.0 SE
    Avalon Blue

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Cornerz View Post
    Thank you Cornerz. I agree, this is great stuff! The first one is especially good. Everyone who comes to this site for help with the buy/pass decision on a "cheap" Range Rover should be referred to that write-up. It is clear, concise, and objective. I wish I had read it before I bought.

Many of the people on this site respond from the perspective of a professional mechanic. They have a difficult time identifying with a "shade tree mechanic", like me. While being an unofficial keeper of the brand is good, the objective is not always to gold plate a vehicle. That is why these real life stories are so good to read. So thank you for aiding in my continuing education. I have read more in these past few weeks about Range Rovers than I ever did in getting my MBA. In fact, how do you get promoted here. I shouldat least be designnated a Junior. I believe I could pass the exam (lol).
    2002 BMW Z3

FRESHMAN ROVER

I found one more source to use as a guide for a novice in my head gasket project. It is the "Head Gasket Removal Procedure Land Rover Discovery Series II". This is the same 4.0L engine that is in my my vehicle. Moreover, this document is simple, easy to follow and is compiled from the Rave CD by Land Rover. While there are a few subtle differences, it is perfect as a guide in sequencing the removal-first things first. i also like to have a picture in my mind of each step before starting a project.
    (http://www.landroverclubvi.com/uploa..._procedure.pdf)

Armed with the above procedure, the Rave CD, Paul's procedure, and a new Audiobook, I went to my garage and started the process. The first encounter was a significant leak where the pipe from the intake (inlet) manifold which feeds the heater core downstream had a leaking O Ring. I thought it was significant because the temperature sensor, the top Radiator hose and the pipe were all sharing the same chamber in the manifold. However, in another thread, I learned from several member of this forum that it was not significant enough to cause the problems that I was trying to fix. I had thoughts of replacing the O Ring and putting things back together and calling it a "week" before that feedback. I have now progressed to the point where I have the head gasket for cylindars 2,4,6,8 removed. I had already noted that one of the rocker arms serving cylinder 8 was loose.(a few years ago I had replaced a broken rocker arm in my Mercedes). In addition, the push rod did not fit into the tappet as securely as the others did. When I removed the head, I saw a gasket that had deterioted in two places the black coating of the metal was gone and the metal of the gasket had fused in a perforated pattern to the head and the block. When examining the head further, I noticed that the spring serving the loose rocker arm was lower than the others that appeared even and it protruded below the head. Now, I have an incentive to get the other head off before Monday when the machine shops open so that I can take both at the same time. This is totally uncharted territory for me. Like Star Trek, I am going where no man has gone. That is, except for the RR forum members. While I know that the loose rocker arm would have caused the ticking that I was hearing, I do not know ills the spring would have caused. On the positive side, I now know what a liner is and none of mine have slipped. I have never looked into a cylinder before and each is at a different depth. Is this normal? Based on the information that I have shared so far, what is your prognosis?
    I have attached a few pictures. They are a little dark and not as clear as I would have liked.

Step--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine-engine-001.jpgStep--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine-engine-009.jpgStep--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine-engine-016.jpg
    ps. I do not know the jargon that should be used for certain parts. I have no idea whether I am talking Brittish or American English in my referrals. I simply find it in the Rave CD or somewhere else and call it that. I have a feeling that Americans don't call them tappets, but what? That's what they call them in the Rave CD.
    2002 BMW Z3

Lifters....

Premium Member
    Each cylinder looks like it's at a different depth, as what you're seeing is the top of the piston inside the cylinder. They're at different depths because each cylinder is at a different stage in the combustion cycle.

Once you get the other head off, you'll see that they are all different too.

Perfectly normal!

Marty
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008

FRESHMAN ROVER

I completed the removal of the second Head. The gasket was bad with the deterioration of the gasket material near cylindars 3 & 5. In addition, there was some coolant leaking at cylindar 7. But overall, this was not as bad. The rocker arms were tight and the springs were all level. While I know this is not a valid test, I did look at the heads under 1000 watts of light and a Jeweler's loop and did not see any cracks. In addition, I looked at the level of the springs with a lazer level. All appeared to look good except for the one spring that I mentioned in my earlier post.

Next step for me is to determine the machine shop capability we have here on the South Island
    I need to quickly get the engine compartment back together. My memory does not have the shelflife that it once had. I appreciate your thoughts.Step--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine-drheadgasket-010.jpgStep--by-Step Head Gasket Replacement for Bosch Engine-drheadgasket-009.jpg
    2002 BMW Z3

davewp38

The head gasket failure is (most probably) the cause of your problems, although as far as any possible cracks are concerned ask the machine shop to do a 'UV-Dye crack test', and to check the head is not warped with an 'engineering straight edge' etc as the laser method you used is not always effective.....

[Oh.... and watch out for Klingons, too !?]

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by WARover View Post
    On the positive side, I now know what a liner is and none of mine have slipped. I have never looked into a cylinder before and each is at a different depth. Is this normal? Based on the information that I have shared so far, what is your prognosis?
    Whilst i hope that's the case of course it's worth making sure/remembering if its actually only a failed head gasket then any coolant in the middle cylinders (3,4,5,6) can only come [via] it's closest outer cylinder or else it can only be slipped liner.

So the coolant showing in cyl. 5 & 6 absolutely has to have come from cyl. 7 & 8 respectively for it only to be a head gasket, if it's not clear i'm not saying that this is the case just it absolutely has to be the case if it's a HG alone. I really don't mean to post in order that you start 2'nd guessing yourself, just always unnerving to see coolant in those cylinders.
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

I have yet to pull a head without remainder coolant entering the cylinders during disassembly. Coolant in the cylinders is pretty normal during this stange of the rebuild/gasket replacement since it's being done in place.