Death Wobble Be Gone!
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death Wobble Be Gone!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Death Wobble Be Gone!

Greetings all,

I recently found a pretty amazing deal on a 2000 Range Rover 4.0. This is my first Range Rover, but not my first Rover. I previously owned a '95 Discovery (which was great, rarely had any problems with it in 16 years). Overall, it's in surprisingly good condition, California car, 96K miles, no rust, the interior is super nice, the engine compartment looks well kept, everything appears ship shape. No oil leak (yes, I checked, it has oil in it). The person I bought it from had already put the 19 inch '03 wheels on it. I like the look, but I was getting a scary wobble once in a while. It seemed to happen at specifc places between 45-65 mph. If I drove to work, about 18 miles it happen once or twice, or maybe not at all. I noticed the PO had installed a new steering damper, which I assume he thought would fix this problem, ha!

I read the various threads on death wobble here and looked the front suspension over, it seemed ok. I then took the wheels off and noticed there were no hub-centric center rings inside the wheels to fit the vehicle. Bought rings, installed those, but wobble did not go away. I took it to a nearby Land Rover mechanic and he had a look over and thought everything looked pretty good in the front suspension as well. Instead of throwing parts at it, he suggested we put some old RR wheels on it that he had sitting around and see what happened. Much to my surprise, wobble was gone! The wheels were 16 inch and had bald tires, but no wobble. Got some new tires for the 19 inch wheels and now it's perfect.

I find the Range Rover is a bit more civilized than the old Disco, although I was rather dismayed to read about the alarm/security feature. That is not my favorite thing. I need to see my local dealer and order a spare key fob, sounds like it's not a bad idea to keep a spare in reserve. I was tempted to buy one on flebay, buy checked here first and read that those fobs need to come from the dealer/manufacuturer and that old ones cannot be reprogramed to fit another.

Thanks posters, this forum is really a great resource and has already saved me a few dollars!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Death Wobble Be Gone!

That is a sweet looking Range my friend,,,,,, enjoy!
    2005 RR HSE Alveston Red/Charcoal('06 wheels/badges)
    1999 RR 4.6 HSE Chawton White/Lightstone
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE Oxford Blue/Lightstone (project/sold, but learned alot from her)

If it has tits or tires, your gonna have problems with it.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by tyinger
    That is a sweet looking Range my friend,,,,,, enjoy!

agreed... looks nice.
    05' MKIII-
    Wanted: D90
    MTI Equipment
    HDD Forums

JUNIOR ROVER

looks clean. very much like mine when I bought it. if you go offroad, you will probably like the 16 inch rims over the 19s especially when it comes to tire choices. congrats.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladderr, steering guard, front diff guard, rear diff guard, Warn XD9000CE winch, factory winch tray, aluminum radiator, 255/85 r16 KM2s, RTE 3 coils, adj panhard rod... ARB 50qt fridge, GoalZeroExtreme350
    2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper, Superwinch EP9, Hella 4000s, Expedition rack, Sasquatch rods, GY MTRs 275/65 r18s

East Yorkshire, Great Britain. Driving: 1998 P38a Range Rover 4.0L SE. Age: 38 ...but feel older!

The wobble was probably cause by poor wheel balancing, it may re-appear as the new tyres wear. If it does just get the balancing checked again.
    It doesn't take much out of balancedness to cause the RR to wobble, it's really surprising and never experienced in any other vehicles that I've driven.

P.s. Looks a nice Rangie

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    Thanks posters, this forum is really a great resource and has already saved me a few dollars!
    Never a truer word spoken.

Nice rig, I do like the silver. Spikemd's looks really sharp in the silver.

Plus 1 on the wheel balance however, I have had a warped wheel that had similar symptons. I took it to a place in Stockton and the wobble was gone.
    1973 Massey Ferguson MF40 Industrial - Never been on-road
    2000 Range Rover SE - Custom Fabricated roof rack, rear ladder, rear tyre carrier & sliders. On board air, dual batteries, underside armour, OME springs & Terrafirma shocks
    2000 Range Rover SE - 100% Factory. Never been off-road
    2003 Jaguar STR - Custom exhaust and lightly touched supercharger
    2006 Range Rover Sport - 100% Factory. Never been off-road